Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Why are some people offended by Scorsese’s opinion? He was asked a question and he gave his honest opinion.
    It invalidates their worldview. Some people can't handle that. Others (like me) can think he is wrong on some things but not other things.

Why are some people offended by Scorsese’s opinion? He was asked a question and he gave his honest opinion.
    An Honest opinion with many logical reasoning to them. the best one is when he says, marvel films are theme parks. can I blame him when I have also said marvel movies are too colorful and animated to have real life people in it that is believable and I said Disney needs to stop making marvel like that all because they want to sell toys. Marvel should have been a very grounded realistic looking world in the movies. if they were, scorsese won't dislike them so much.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Probably because of the elitist arrogance of it. He isn't just saying that he doesn't like Marvel movies. I doubt anyone thought he would or cares that he doesn't. It's that he's taken it beyond opinion to declare there's only one type of cinema and insulting filmmakers who don't share his narrow view. All to promote another one of his own formulaic mafia movies for Netflix. The irony of that is hilarious, although I think it's unintentional.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    An Honest opinion with many logical reasoning to them. the best one is when he says, marvel films are theme parks. can I blame him when I have also said marvel movies are too colorful and animated to have real life people in it that is believable and I said Disney needs to stop making marvel like that all because they want to sell toys. Marvel should have been a very grounded realistic looking world in the movies. if they were, scorsese won't dislike them so much.
    Scorsese hasn't even watched them, and again he's talking about big-budget blockbusters in general, how many times does that need to be said and pointed out before you stop protecting and trying to say superhero films shouldn't be colorful and fun?

Extraordinary Member

Well, I’ve watched the movies and Scorsese is 100% right.
    On what point is he right tho? Seriously if somebody said they didn't feel like they were watching something new or unexpected with IM, Avengers or BP they'd be lying. Add to that these movies aren't the same. Winter Soldier is the same movie as GOTG? Ragnarok is the same as BP? Iron Man is the same as Antman? Nah.

Speaking of risks Marvel/Disney took a helluva a lot of risk putting together a shared universe. Iron Man itself was a helluva risky movie. Who the hell wants to watch gloomy-ass depressing movies all the time anyway. MCU added a lot of freshness to the genre.

Thing is if Disney decides to start making one-off arthouse/crime genre movies and slapping a superhero label on it. It wouldn't be hard at all.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 11-07-2019 at 12:41 PM.

BANNED

After all that's what Joker did anyway.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    After all that's what Joker did anyway.
    YUP talk about formula.

“I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema. Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

For me, Marvel is popcorn movies. I also saw Scorsese's movie Hugo. That was a popcorn movie too.

Lol the forums were so civil as of late, and now we're back to this. Hmmm wonder what changed

When one side of an argument can only work if you believe that people are being brainwashed and bought off by Disney, I don't see the point. The fact is these movies are insanely huge because people connect with the Heroes and and a couple of the Villains in a real way. The CGI action scenes and Colorful costumes are icing on top of the cake. People were sobbing in the movie theaters during Endgame because they loved Tony,Steve, and Natasha. They cheered because they love the characters. Scorcese doesnt related to these character and connect with them that's fine, didnt suspect that he did. But his opinion and the small minority who feel the way he does, doesnt negate the connection the world audience has made with these characters.

Your avatars are mad at each other.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Your avatars are mad at each other.

This is hilarious

This is hilarious
    Lol it really is

BANNED

A certain poster gets un-banned, and the "others" suddenly come out of the wood-work.

That's what's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes. I believe that when John Sturges was asked why he directed the Magnificent Seven, he said, "I like shoot 'em ups".

Yes it's selective memory. For every movie he names, there was a John Wayne western or an Abbott and Costello or some other such movie and far more of them.

By the way, I've never seen the Godfather movies except for clips, not because of quality but I just don't like gangster movies where the main characters are all thugs killing each other. To me, it doesn't come across as profound at all.
    John Wayn westerns may be a good comparison to the MCU.

Wayne made a lot of westerns. Some of them weren't good. If you just saw a random selection, you might think his popularity highlighted a lack of creativity in Hollywood.

If you saw Stagecoarch, Red River and the Searchers, you'd recognize that he was hitting heights in westerns most actors couldn't reach.

“They are sequels in name but they are remakes in spirit”
    Martin Scorsese
    In other words: they are the same movie with the same plot and the same tired formula.
    He's probably wrong on this, but it does mark a difference in types of films.

It's an argument about series VS sequel.

In a series the order in which the films occur don't really matter, and nothing changes for the characters. A sequel leaves characters in a very different place at the end than at the beginning.

Granted, this was probably a distinction in an older era, as recent films generally feature greater character progression in franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    And I suppose comic books can't be literature either?
    That's more about medium rather than genre, although both arguments suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Screenrant had just written an article in response to Scorsese comments on their website that says marvel is beginning to damage the genre. Not like I have not said that before here. the irony since screenrant is a marvel friendly site.

https://screenrant.com/marvel-movies...-damaging-bad/

I will always say it, the worst thing that ever happened to the genre was

1. marvel creating a cinematic universe that was too heavily connected to eachother unlike their comics.

2. Disney buying Marvel and creating a bad film formula, with little film making process.

put those two together is a terrible combination that can do damage.

Maybe we needed Scorsese to say it because no one in the press listened when Mangold, Singer or even James Cameron said it.
    Disney's making a lot of money and getting some great reviews with the MCU.

It is worth noting that there have been so many MCU films and not one bomb, critically or financially.

These films have a very high floor in terms of quality, especially when compared to similar fare from DC (Justice League, The Suicide Squad), Sony (Venom, Amazing Spider-Man 2) or Fox (F4NTASTIC, Dark Phoenix)

Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    Scorsese hasn't even watched them, and again he's talking about big-budget blockbusters in general, how many times does that need to be said and pointed out before you stop protecting and trying to say superhero films shouldn't be colorful and fun?
    He said he's tried to watch them a few times, so I'm guessing he's seen a few.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    John Wayn westerns may be a good comparison to the MCU.

Wayne made a lot of westerns. Some of them weren't good. If you just saw a random selection, you might think his popularity highlighted a lack of creativity in Hollywood.

If you saw Stagecoarch, Red River and the Searchers, you'd recognize that he was hitting heights in westerns most actors couldn't reach.
    I'd probably throw in "The Cowboys" and "The Shootist". But the point is true. If someone only took the best MCU movies, you'd get a similar reaction.

I also find it interesting that he didn't target the DC movies and I suspect that's mainly because they either didn't hit as big as Marvel or because he thinks they had more substance. Either way, now that they are starting to hit bigger, I suspect he'd include them too.

Regardless, it's still selective memory. As you or someone said, there were countless shoot 'em ups and similar action movies of their day that were very popular for every movie he singles out.

At the end of the day (literally at the end of the day), a lot of people just want fun entertainment. That includes intelligent people who often just have the attitude that they don't want to wrack their brains on some deep message or concentrate on some complex plot. They spend all day at work having to focus their attention. They don't want their entertainment to be more work or to leave them more depressed leaving the theater than they felt going in.

For example, from the reviews and opinions, "Joker" seems to be a good movie but the impression I get is that it's also a sad, depressing movie and I just can't get myself to go see a movie like that or very rarely.

I remember a discussion that took place on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson that people go see comedies, sometimes over and over, especially if it's very lighthearted and genuinely a comedy. They feel better, it's a catharsis. But when the time comes for the Oscars, they get ignored almost because they did their job of making us laugh and feel good and the dramas, the sadder the better, get the Oscars.

I think that, for the average movie-goer, this isn't about the kind of intellectual competition it is for some people. Someone once told me they liked the older shows from the '50s and '60s because they didn't have such delusions of grandeur or expect people to get so emotionally involved. They were an entertainment and they knew that's all they were.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 11-07-2019 at 09:03 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.