Astonishing Member

Default Do you think tech companies like Apple and Amazon will buy media companies?

Do you think tech companies like Apple and Amazon will buy media companies like CBS/Viacom or Sony's entertainment branch to be more relevant in the streaming wars? It does seem like say AppleTV+, despite being a trillion-dollar company, has a very meager library of content made up of mostly of pretty mediocre shows. Assuming tech companies like Apple or Amazon are serious about the streaming wars, would buying one of the traditional media companies help them? Are they taking the streaming wars seriously or is it just a lark to them? It does seem like they could buy out an existing media company, without the type of overlap other big media companies would have if they bought another media company.

I am not advocating for this, because I think the level of media concentration that we see now is creepy (I do not like Disney owning most of Fox's assets), but is a possibility that can be discussed, IMO. I think Disney is a mega-corporation and Warner Bros and Universal are owned by mega-corporations, so those would not be for sale now. So that leaves, from least powerful to most powerful: MGM, Lionsgate, CBS/Viacom, and Sony Entertainment.

Amazon supposedly has already tried with sony. But if Sony ever fell on hard times then yes I think Amazon would love to add that to theyre library

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Amazon supposedly has already tried with sony. But if Sony ever fell on hard times then yes I think Amazon would love to add that to theyre library
    Fair enough, do think someone like Apple or Google would try to get CBS/Viacom or any of the other smaller companies I mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Fair enough, do think someone like Apple or Google would try to get CBS/Viacom or any of the other smaller companies I mentioned?
    I think they would want to concentrate first on creating their own content and becoming their own media brand. That might be a safer route for them, because with tech, there is always the possibility that the next big release will be a bomb and take a toll on them financially. They might enter into a deal to purchase, say, CBS, but by the time the deal goes through, something happens and suddenly they are broke. By creating their own content, the risk is moderate, but still smaller in the long term, and if it doesn't work out, they can cut their losses.

At least, that's my reading. But when it comes to a company like Amazon, anything is possible.

Extraordinary Member

Yes. Apple and Amazon already have incentives. It's more that the cable companies have more capital to do it because they sell a commodity.