Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Parasite – a Film by Bong Joon-ho

Best movie of the year, no contest. Best in several years, I'd even say.

If the Oscars don't give this Best Picture, they'll just be making a joke of themselves.

BANNED

Among the top choices for this year, but no better than Midsommar, Brexit, El Camino or Light of My Life. Certainly not better than Glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Among the top choices for this year, but no better than Midsommar, Brexit, El Camino or Light of My Life. Certainly not better than Glass.
    I love Breaking Bad, but there's no way El Camino deserves to be on any top films of the year list. And you're the first I've seen make such strong claims for Midsommar, and certainly the only one I've seen give high praises to Glass.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I love Breaking Bad, but there's no way El Camino deserves to be on any top films of the year list. And you're the first I've seen make such strong claims for Midsommar, and certainly the only one I've seen give high praises to Glass.
    None of them are actually great, but this has been the bleakest year I can remember, as far as movies are concerned. In fact, there's been better things coming from the TV front. Two of the films I listed are TV productions, add to that the notable series out there and we have a tilting of the balance.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Great film and one of those that the less you know going in the better. As such, I'll leave it at that.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    one of those that the less you know going in the better
    Ideally, that's how I'd like all of them. In practice, you find yourself finding at least some basic facts about most of them, just to know if they'll be worth your while.

Duuude good ass movie!
    Thats the same dude as the baseball player from Train to Busan!!
    GrindrStone(D)

Fantastic film. Don't want to spoil, but it's kinda like to the 'old dark house' genre what The Host was to monster movies.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

After watching this I realise I need to watch more Korean cinema.

Parasite was fantastic.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I loved Midsommar and the Lighthouse, and this looks great as well.
    Pretty good year for horror and psychological thrillers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post

Parasite was fantastic.
    You're in for a treat, just keep in mind that not all directors are up to Bong Joon-ho's standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post

Parasite was fantastic.
    Park Chan-wook is another excellent Korean director. Oldboy is usually a good starting point for his filmography.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Park Chan-wook is another excellent Korean director. Oldboy is usually a good starting point for his filmography.
    Out of the movies in "The Vengeance Trilogy", that's probably the one I like less. I'd recommend to start in chronological order.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Out of the movies in "The Vengeance Trilogy", that's probably the one I like less. I'd recommend to start in chronological order.
    It's hard for me to chose, but I think it's often where people start because it's the most action oriented of the bunch and has, comparatively speaking, the least uncomfortable subject material. I think Mr Vengeance is the better film, but it's a harder watch. Oldboy's intensity is a little more accessible.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. The only other film by Bong Joon-ho I had seen was Snowpiercer which blew me away so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I'm also very interested in the action/thriller genres in Korean cinema so does anyone have any other recommendations?

Also I've heard of Oldboy before. Isn't there an American version of it as well?