Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations, guys. The only other film by Bong Joon-ho I had seen was Snowpiercer which blew me away so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I'm also very interested in the action/thriller genres in Korean cinema so does anyone have any other recommendations?

Also I've heard of Oldboy before. Isn't there an American version of it as well?
    Yes, Spike Lee dared, not that I've watched it.

If you liked Snowpiercer, you may like Oldboy better than the other two after all. You even have a corridor fight, not unlike the ones there.

Kim Jee-woon's Angmareul boatda (I Saw The Devil) would be my recommendation to you, although it's more thriller than action.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the American Oldboy remake. I believe Spike Lee himself has tacitly disavowed it; he wasn't allowed control over the final cut.

Lee reportedly cut an hour out of the movie for producers to the director and Brolin’s dissatisfaction. The “Do the Right Thing” filmmaker even removed his trademark “Spike Lee Joint” for an unfamiliar and more impersonal “Spike Lee Film” during the editing process, in what appears to be another sign of the filmmaker’s displeasure.

https://variety.com/2013/film/news/s...-o-1200892692/
    “Oldboy,” on the other hand, is unlikely to prompt a run to Victoria’s Secret. Produced by Good Universe and distributed by FilmDistrict, the movie possesses a dark baroque quality that will likely alienate some critics and even seems to have elicited a mixed reaction in Brolin. “I do have opinions, but it’s better to bite my tongue,” he said when asked what he thought of the finished film. (The actor says he was more enamored with Lee’s earlier three-hour director’s cut that was both quieter and filled with more character-centric moments.)

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...#axzz2lseDmwye

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Caught Oldboy two days ago. So glad I never knew about the big twist because that blew my mind.

Also a bit confused. Can a film like Parasite be nominated in the Best Foreign Film/Foreign Language Film and Best Picture?

^ it can be nominated for both categories, but the conventional wisdom is that it may eat away at the chances for the overall best picture win if it's a shoo-in for best foreign film.

I want to see the film again, but my local AMC Theater only had it for a two-week engagement. Hopefully, as awards season goes on it'll appear in more of my local theaters.

First non-English film to win in this category at the SAG Awards. They also received a standing ovation earlier in the show simply for presenting their film.