All-New Member

Default Star Spangled Comics Robin Reprints

Hello, other than DC's Robin Archives volumes 1 & 2 is anyone aware if the Robin stories from Star Spangled Comics from the late 1940's/early 1950's have been reprinted? Or has anyone heard if DC may reprint them in the future? Would love to complete my collection (106-130).

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

I've heard nothing about any attempt to complete the series.

A few of the non-archived stories, but nothing recent it seems. Mike's Amazing World of Comics has the list:

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mik...&seriesid=1879

All-New Member

Thank you so much, Nine Crocodile! I appreciate the quick response and information.

The 66 Robin stories in the series would fit neatly into a Golden Age Robin Omnibus....DC are you listening??

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Too bad these ROBIN stories weren't reprinted in the BATMAN: Golden age Omnibuses.
    Batman had many appearances in these stories.

SSC91.jpg

Retired

I never got the second volume of the ROBIN ARCHIVES because it was done with scans, rather than reconstructed art. Back then I wanted the art to be reconstructed. But recently I've been reading a lot of old comics in scan form and I've come around to liking the scanned more than the reconstructed art--maybe because scans preserve the integrity of the vintage comics. However, my understanding is that the scans DC used for that Archive were not very good when compared with the quality scans that fans are doing today.

I believe that DC has been able to do so many Omnibus collections because they have the line art (the black plate)--either because they always had photostats of the line art or because of those Archives where the line art was reconstructed. With the scanned Archives, they don't have the line art per se. So if they did a Robin Omnibus, they would have to either reconstruct the line art for those scanned stories or use the scan art from the second Archive (which would make the Omnibus a mixed bag). Already having all the line art makes an Omnibus a lot cheaper to produce--they don't have to pay someone to do reconstruction of the line art.

All-New Member

Good info, Jim. Thanks for sharing. I do get the sense they are having a hard time justifying the cost because the Robin run in Star Spangled Comics remains the only Batman appearances in the 1940's not reprinted recently (albeit more cameos).

Retired

Those Robin stories featured a lot of art by Jim Mooney--who would later do Batman and Robin in DETECTIVE COMICS and BATMAN, as well as Superman, Batman and Robin in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS. Of course, he's better known for Supergirl--and he went on to great fame at Marvel (doing Spider-Man et al). I've always admired his version of the Dynamic Duo.

All-New Member

One can definitely tell the reduction in quality of artwork restoration in volume 2 BTW