Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Idk. I like the thought of universal forces that represent entropy, gravity, and the mind, etc. If worked right, you could create a whole new set of villains for the Flash, that isn’t just speedsters (yes, I know about his rogues. This is just a way to expand them.) Making the Turtle the avatar of entropy is actually a rather genius move.
    I thought it was a cool idea too, but Williamson hasn't given it the proper focus it needs. I hope the other avatars stick around and someone else can develop them.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    That was the concept in the Silver Age, but applying that to an inherently unrealistic character runs counter to that and is pretty boring IMO.

That's what makes the adaptations superior to the source material. Barry can be written as a professional who crack jokes, even if they're bad ones.

"I'll be back in a Flash!" - Barry Allen

Heck, you can make him a guy whose jokes are about science, like Neil DeGrasse Tyson or something. "Flash Fact, Mirror Master: [Insert science-y punchline]"

Also, excusing a repetitive powerset doesn't make it less repetitive. I'm not saying give him new powers, just compensate for a concept that ca quickly become old by injecting humor into the title. Don't make him Superman-lite, which is what Flash stories often are. What is Flash's market value proposition? What can you get from a Flash story that you can't get from a Superman story?
    There are few things I hate more than the Flashes being turned into generic comic relief characters. The adaptations are definitely not an improvement in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Idk. I like the thought of universal forces that represent entropy, gravity, and the mind, etc. If worked right, you could create a whole new set of villains for the Flash, that isn’t just speedsters (yes, I know about his rogues. This is just a way to expand them.) Making the Turtle the avatar of entropy is actually a rather genius move.
    I disagree, because something similar happened over in Green Lantern where we got introduced to a bunch of different "Spectrum" Lanterns of different colors that were powered by different emotions, and it totally watered down and bogged down the Green Lantern franchise for way too long. It was definitely an idea that outlived it's initial storyline, and I would hate to see something similar happen with a bunch of different "Forces" in the Flash's case.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 11-12-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    There are few things I hate more than the Flashes being turned into generic comic relief characters. The adaptations are definitely not an improvement in that regard.
    Don't even get me started on that. I HATE when they throw Flash into Justice League stories or stories with a bunch of other heavy hitters, and all of a sudden, all of his intelligence and power get put on the backburner just for him to become the team goofball, ala Spider-Man in the Avengers. And it's something that happens way too often with Flash these days, where basically the only panel time he gets in a team setting is him telling lame jokes in the heat of a tense battle, as if that's the only thing THE FLASH---one of the most powerful and most intelligent heroes in all of the DC Universe---can contribute.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Don't even get me started on that. I HATE when they throw Flash into Justice League stories or stories with a bunch of other heavy hitters, and all of a sudden, all of his intelligence and power get put on the backburner just for him to become the team goofball, ala Spider-Man in the Avengers. And it's something that happens way too often with Flash these days, where basically the only panel time he gets in a team setting is him telling lame jokes in the heat of a tense battle, as if that's the only thing THE FLASH---one of the most powerful and most intelligent heroes in all of the DC Universe---can contribute.
    Seriously (no pun intended). If the Justice League needs a comic relief character, reactivate Elongated Man or Plastic Man.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Having a property with villains called Captain Cold and Gorilla Grodd and making it serious isn't a good mix.

Having a property with villains called Captain Cold and Gorilla Grodd and making it serious isn't a good mix.
    LOL, I've always thought most of Flash's villains are silly, goofy, severely outdated, and WAY below his weight class. Never understood when people say Flash has one of the "best" rogues galleries. That's why I said one thing that would help is if he got some new, updated villains who were more of a challenge to a guy as powerful and as fast as he is, and not just a bunch of derivative speedsters or "Force" based characters.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I disagree, because something similar happened over in Green Lantern where we got introduced to a bunch of different "Spectrum" Lanterns of different colors that were powered by different emotions, and it totally watered down and bogged down the Green Lantern franchise for way too long. It was definitely an idea that outlived it's initial storyline, and I would hate to see something similar happen with a bunch of different "Forces" in the Flash's case.
    To each their own. I’ve been reading the Flash since the mid 80’s, and I think it’s a novel idea on creating new characters to add to the mythos. They can’t water down the franchise anymore than all of the other speedsters that are in the supporting cast, and cast of adversaries. If the Flash book became just a book about creating the next universal force, meanwhile neglecting the other rogues and supporting characters, like Johns’ GL book did after Sinestro Corps War, I’d see your point.

I mean...guys named "Joker," "Riddler, and "Two-Face" probably don't sound intimidating until you actually meet them.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Honestly, no idea since I only started reading in New 52 and the story I'm interested in is Grodd, Rogues, and Reverse Flashes. By that I mean I'm still on that introductory mode where what I'm interested is hero vs villain, the basic stuff of superhero comics. I don't yet need something deeper.

The only personal stuff from Barry is his mother's murder, and since that's been resolved before I read it, I already got the gist of it. Beyond that, I haven't been introduced to anything personal from Barry that makes me care.

When it comes to Wally because my intro to him is him missing his family, that's the story I want to read, and I want him to succeed, as Johns did a really good job making me care about that in just one issue of Rebirth.

This is why where his story ended up at the moment makes me really angry because you don't introduce that heartfelt sympathetic story that looks like it's going to be his narrative but then decided "Nah. impossible". Like I wanna smack anyone who made that decision with Scott McCloud's guide to making comics

...or maybe just my guide of not disappointing fans

Oh and Nightwing team-up. Again, just one issue is enough to make me really like their partnership.

Since Wallace is pretty attached to Barry or Teen Titans, I haven't been interested in him personally. He's still on Sidekick Mode for me, as in, his story's still part of Barry or TT for me.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 11-13-2019 at 04:41 AM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I'm genuinely glad you're enjoying the current stuff but you've missed out on some seriously fantastic modern Flash comics. I believe both Waid and Johns'Wally West runs are available in nice, thick, numbered paperback collections and the super enjoyable Morrison/ Millar run is collected in one or two trades as well. Waid hits a bit of a slump before a strong finish and Johns' run is much, much better in its first half than its back end, but these are really excellent superhero comics overall. It would also give you a good idea why Wally West fans are currently so pissed off. And, before anyone mentions it, there are also some classic Wally West stories by William Messner-Loebs, but they haven't been collected yet.

Also, if you're looking for a more old-fashioned (but to me definitive) take on Barry Allen, both JLA: Year One and Flash/ Green Lantern: The Brave and the Bold are also readily available in both softcover and deluxe hardcovers, I believe.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean...guys named "Joker," "Riddler, and "Two-Face" probably don't sound intimidating until you actually meet them.
    I believe a gangster could be called the Joker. Captain Cold? Nah. These guys have super powers but commit petty crime. The Flash isn't a property that's designed to be taken seriously. Would be a more interesting read if it were more like Thor Ragnarok in tone.

I believe a gangster could be called the Joker. Captain Cold? Nah. These guys have super powers but commit petty crime. The Flash isn't a property that's designed to be taken seriously. Would be a more interesting read if it were more like Thor Ragnarok in tone.
    I really really wanted Wally to get a lighter spin-off because of this. Instead DC took him to complete opposite direction.

God, I hate those twins. They are such a burden on the character.

I can't think of a gangster who would unironically call themselves The Joker, at least the way Joker actually uses his name.

Captain Cold fits his powerset and his role within Flash's Rogues Gallery. The comics have been taking him seriously for years, as has the TV show. Fans would complain a lot if you treated him and the rest of The Rogues like jokes.

I don't see how The Flash can't be taken seriously any more then other Superhero properties, especially when there is so much heart and stakes set in every story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    I really really wanted Wally to get a lighter spin-off because of this. Instead DC took him to complete opposite direction.

God, I hate those twins. They are such a burden on the character.
    Yeah he was really doing great after they got rid of them.