Default Comicbookdb.com going away???

Saw this headliner at the top of the page this morning.

IMPORTANT! ComicbookDB.com will be closing its doors on December 16th, 2019 as we look towards creating a new and improved tool for collectors to utilize. We want to make sure everyone has a chance to download their data & collections by clicking on this link after logging in. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to contribute to the site and we look forward to seeing you again soon. If you have any questions, click here.

NOOOO, I use that site constantly to look up information about series, single issues, character appearances, creator credits, etc. Its a fantastic site and I'm so bummed its going away. What an incredible amount of comic book history data that is going to be lost.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Doesn't seem to be permanent, though I have no idea how long it will take for them to sort everything out. Evidently it's blocked in Europe, which seems like a big deal to me.

Why would it be blocked?

They never managed to make their old site GDPR compliant. So to not open up themselves for a potential lawsuit from the EU, they blocked all visitors from European IP addresses.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I love that site but it has been showing it's age. I hope this just means a spanking new relaunch as the notice says. I keep meaning to create an account there and contribute because there are have been a few times when the entry was scarce on a few comics. But they really have done a terrific job over the years.

Is there another db site that is even close to as comprehensive as comicbookdb?

I don't know if it's better or worse, but I've always use the Grand Comics Database - https://www.comics.org/