Default Graphic novels secondary education

Hi all,

What graphic novels would you recommend first/second year pupils at secondary education schools.

Currently, I'm an intern (aspiring teacher ) at a school and we've just had a meeting regarding reading. One of the topics were graphic novels, especially for lower levels. One of my colleagues hinted at Archie Comics.

Note: we're speaking of Dutch pupils here, so bear in mind the level shouldn't be too hard to follow, please.

I think an estimated age range would be helpful here—school systems vary widely, and being in secondary education here where I live I'd interpret at 16 and 17 year olds, which is not what I guess you're thinking of.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think an estimated age range would be helpful here—school systems vary widely, and being in secondary education here where I live I'd interpret at 16 and 17 year olds, which is not what I guess you're thinking of.
    *d'oh moment intensifies*

Yeah, around 12-13-14 y/o.

Jim Ottaviani has written a few really good graphic novels for young adults about famous scientists and inovators.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Maus comes to mind.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Thanks guys!

Retired

Since teens read THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK in school, I guess I'm safe in recommending ANNE FRANK: THE ANNE FRANK HOUSE AUTHORIZED GRAPHIC BIOGRAPHY (2010) by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colón. I can't say enough good things about this book. Not only is it a powerful story, it's very educational. I only worry that young readers will be devastated by the reality of what happened. It left me in shambles by the end and I'm a fully growed person. But it's an important story for everyone to know and the graphic story telling makes it easy to follow.

I work in a school and many of the teachers have graphic novels in their classrooms. Some of them are there for the students to borrow and read for pleasure, such as Spider-man or Nightwing. However, they also often have graphic novels about the Civil War, the Vietnam War, etc. I would especially recommend Jon Lewis' March trilogy, chronicling his role in the civil rights movement.

It is quite easy to live after someone's opinion and when you are in solitude, you create your own monsters. Whenever I think about my next sujet to write my essay or short story, I get deeper and deeper into my mind with the giants and creatures I have never meant to disturb. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi,

I would definitely choose I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly and J.M. Ken Niimura (artist). It shows the relativity of everything we know and how a person can be disconnected from the real world with the exaggerated inability to interact in the society, while the importance of such interaction is crucial.

If the kids want a more superhero flair Marvel came out with a line geared towards younger readers a while back called Marvel Adventures. They were pretty neat and is what got my nephew into reading comics.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I just did a project in my graduate studies on education about the same thing. Here are the books I covered:

They Called Us Enemy - George Takei, Justin Eisinger, Steven Scott, Harmony Becker
    American Born Chinese - Gene Leun Yang
    March - John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, Nate Powell
    Maus - Art Spiegelman
    Essex County - Jeff Lemire
    Fun Home - Allison Bechdel
    Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

The last two are controversial and have been challenged, so tread lightly with those, but most of the challenges are caused by homophobic and anti-Muslim fervor in the United States.