Default Graphic novels secondary education

Hi all,

What graphic novels would you recommend first/second year pupils at secondary education schools.

Currently, I'm an intern (aspiring teacher ) at a school and we've just had a meeting regarding reading. One of the topics were graphic novels, especially for lower levels. One of my colleagues hinted at Archie Comics.

Note: we're speaking of Dutch pupils here, so bear in mind the level shouldn't be too hard to follow, please.
    Favourite DC heroes: Flash (Wally West), Red Hood (Jason Todd), Batman.

I think an estimated age range would be helpful here—school systems vary widely, and being in secondary education here where I live I'd interpret at 16 and 17 year olds, which is not what I guess you're thinking of.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think an estimated age range would be helpful here—school systems vary widely, and being in secondary education here where I live I'd interpret at 16 and 17 year olds, which is not what I guess you're thinking of.
    *d'oh moment intensifies*

Yeah, around 12-13-14 y/o.

Jim Ottaviani has written a few really good graphic novels for young adults about famous scientists and inovators.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown
    "By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

Maus comes to mind.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Thanks guys!

Standing Member

Since teens read THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK in school, I guess I'm safe in recommending ANNE FRANK: THE ANNE FRANK HOUSE AUTHORIZED GRAPHIC BIOGRAPHY (2010) by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colón. I can't say enough good things about this book. Not only is it a powerful story, it's very educational. I only worry that young readers will be devastated by the reality of what happened. It left me in shambles by the end and I'm a fully growed person. But it's an important story for everyone to know and the graphic story telling makes it easy to follow.
    And you won't read that book again,
    Because the ending's just too hard to take.

I work in a school and many of the teachers have graphic novels in their classrooms. Some of them are there for the students to borrow and read for pleasure, such as Spider-man or Nightwing. However, they also often have graphic novels about the Civil War, the Vietnam War, etc. I would especially recommend Jon Lewis' March trilogy, chronicling his role in the civil rights movement.