Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES issue #1 Preview/(spoiler) discussion

Last edited by Superlad93; 11-05-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

- Damn, that headquarters reveal at the end was crazy. When Bendis said that he wanted the new headquarters to cool for today's generation, I genuinely never would've thought he'd go this ambitious. But it makes sense along with his metaphor of this being something of a "future college". This is basically Legion campus, and thinking of it like that is actually pretty dope.

- The Titans high-key shade is funny.

- Jon's bottle freak out is a really nice touch.

- Ha! Brainy's funny.

- Power: "super everything" is great.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-05-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

"It's a thing with my people" is the best thing Bendis has written since coming to DC, bar none.
    Buh-bye

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Having the entire city as headquarters is pretty dope. Mr. Kent? That's wierd. It kinda brought back the feeling of first time someone called me with a mister. Jon seems to have really gotten faster.
    Edit-is jon gonna meet future versions of kara and clark? Will lois still be alive?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-05-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I like the sense of optimisim you get from this team, nothing feels edgy. Seems like a perfect fit for Jon.

Sook does not disappoint!

I'm already seeing the issues with Bendis' writing style conflicting with such a large cast of heroes. The thing I'm most worried about is having so many people and they just don't come off with distinct voices or characterizations because Bendis is juggling so much and just doesn't write that way with some characters. Maybe that's partially why Sook's designs are deliberately as distinctive and exaggerated as they are.

A part of me also wonders if this is more of a Jon book with this Legion of quirky-looking characters as his supporting cast.

Six people on a Titans team? Didn't he have a poster of the New Teen Titans and their 7-man roster ?

I find that "Long Live Kandor" scene more amusing then I should.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm actually still sore that millennium #2 hasn't gotten to me yet but I probably won't wait to read this. Wonder how far Sook has gotten.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Just finished this, honestly may be Bendis's best #1 since he came to DC? And Sook is killing these double spreads. I honestly can't remember ever reading a team book with so many characters, but somehow Bendis made it work. Again, I really like the optimism the team has.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 11-06-2019 at 04:46 AM.

Always Rakzo

As an opening chapter this does a terrible job at creating an interesting set-up or even explaining the status quo of the future. In fact, it offers very little content despite of the overwritten dialogue because is a lot of "tell, don't show", except that there are a lot of useless and repetitive lines. Is not like I was expecting more from Bendis considering how all of his works begin but still a obscure book like The Legion needed more.

And of course, there's the aging of Jon which is one of the worst decisions in recent years but what makes it even worse is that it seems like Bendis extracted all of his personality while making him older. The current Jon is unrecognizable in every meaning of the word.

Good art but aside from that, this is perfectly skippable.

I was high while reading this so the colors gave me a headache!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    As an opening chapter this does a terrible job at creating an interesting set-up or even explaining the status quo of the future. In fact, it offers very little content despite of the overwritten dialogue because is a lot of "tell, don't show", except that there are a lot of useless and repetitive lines. Is not like I was expecting more from Bendis considering how all of his works begin but still a obscure book like The Legion needed more.

And of course, there's the aging of Jon which is one of the worst decisions in recent years but what makes it even worse is that it seems like Bendis extracted all of his personality while making him older. The current Jon is unrecognizable in every meaning of the word.

Good art but aside from that, this is perfectly skippable.
    It did explain the status quo of Earth as well as establish the plot of this first arc. There are obviously a torn of characters that had to be introduced so I don’t blame Bendis for not getting to the thick of the plot yet.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Jon was ok in this issue. nothing too bad. Bendis really needs too crank up the quirkyness and energy in Jon's voice. I agree with@rakzo regardin bendis not getting Jon's personality correctly. As for the, it was a bit too wordy. But, that's to be expected. Other than that bendis dies what he does best. World building. I love the new earth. Jon seems to be able to keep up with these guys even though he is only half kryptonIan.
    Oh yeah! They basically foreshadowed 5G again.They said original superman. So, that means more than one.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't think this is for me, unfortunately.

I've been dying for a LoSH book for 5 forevers, but alas.