Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Yeah, he's basically being turned into a modern version of Pre-crisis Clark, which is really a disservice to his individual identity.
    I would love it for jon to have the man of tomorrow like personality. Especially, now. Atleast some of it.but,bendis is basically channeling byrne farmboy. That too in a bad way. I mean, you can do interesting take on the farmboy. Look at Superman for all seasons. But, bendis god know for what reasons makes Jon's characterisation into that of precrisis guy . But, characterisation isn't voice. Voice is different. It's how view and read the character. It's subjective but there can be objectivity to through consensus. So, he is a wierd amalgam of clark kent.not even jon kent
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-07-2019 at 05:04 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Mordru The Demon Gangster? GTFO LOL!

I decided to give this a fair shake despite my misgivings and Bendis did not disappoint. His voice and writing style just isn't made for team books. It never has been. I think a poster above pointed this out by saying the dialogue is interchangeable and repetitive. Each character has their own personality and this is conveyed by the dialogue written for them. Hard to do that successfully if everybody sounds the same.

Bendis also has an annoying habit of not being able to play in others sandboxes. He had to do a scorched earth with the Avengers in order to facilitate his run (his Avengers was never going to fail sale wise given the fact he had A listers in the cast and a murderer's row of top artists). He took over Iron-man by saying how great Tony was, did two arcs, then made Riri the focus as she is who he wanted to write and not Tony. The less said about his Moon Knight, the better.

The last thing the Legion needed was another reboot. What it needs is for someone to come in and finally build the damn house on the preexisting foundations instead of knocking it down all the time.

This isn't the world I knew, nor are these the characters I love. For those of you who do love this, I hope you have a fun ride. Sadly, this just isn't for me. So I'll be checking out.

One issue is all it took for you? That seems a bit extreme.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I really dug this. I read it with one of my students who had absolutely no idea who the Legion of Super-Heroes were and it worked just great for the pair of us.

Extraordinary Member

This hurt my eyes to read

Too many characters, i wish they did not bait me with robin arriving soon, even though I known he did will make him an amped up arrogant jerk and the other won’t like him so it will be a short visit, then I’ll drop the book until chapter 12

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    Sometimes one is all it takes lol

I'm giving this at least three but I've definitely been so put off by something that I've given up on it after one issue before. Hell, I'm pretty sure I'm doing that for the New Mutants series that just started yesterday xD

Amazing Member

I'll give this a few issues. I enjoy Sook though he never stays on a title for long.

- a destroyed Earth and bottle cities. Much like Jon aging, I would think this would be very hard for a character to accept this and move on. However, Bendis is firm about some things not really getting explored.
    - legion headquarters being a whole city. Does this mean there are 100s of legionnaires or just that there's a whole organization around the legion?
    - Loved seeing ultra boy using one power at a time!
    - Brainiac 5's logic and coolness always drew me to him and distinguished him from other legionnaires so I hope he stays unique.
    - expected the Bendis conversation cadence and I can actually enjoy it. Still, use more sparingly please!
    - the initial fight certainly looked like people would be crushed by the ship and the fighting. No mention of it though; maybe they just got lucky.
    - Mordru as a demon gang boss? Was amused by his emphatic "Yes!" after Jo called him out
    - I can't see Val ever yelling "Help".

Overall, a first issue that isn't afraid to be different. Hoping to see sub team action soon.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I expect Bendis to grow into the different characters. Breaking down several specifically can be a good way to open, but he chose the opposite (with a few extended introductions, granted) and I like that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

I also dug how there's a genuine sense of excitement with everyone in the Legion. They're all just as nervous as Jon, and some don't even follow protocol. This is very, very clearly year one/freshmen year for everyone (outside of maybe the OG 3 I guess). They talk over each other, their unsure sometimes, and they outright make mistakes in and out of battle. I don't need to be told they're new. It's illustrated very clearly with them as a collective.
    That was my second favorite thing, they really aren't in order and it makes this a much more interesting "pov" story both beside and going along with the experience for Jon. I get the sense that the relationships betwee previously joined members are just barely coming into place, so it's not just walking into a running story.

My first favorite of course is the art. I can just barely contain the pages with my eyes. Those designs did so little for me alone but everything pops so well together. Sook has been a solid artist for a long time but I'd love a master's breakdown when his career output is a little higher. As it is I care more about his art than keeping this on schedule.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Really interesting world building going on with Earth having been completely destroyed. I thought it was a solid first issue but Bendis hasn’t done a good job with giving the Legionnaires different “voices” yet. In a team this big that’s key, if he just writes everyone the same like he sometimes did with X-Men and Guardians this will hurt the book. God I wish the present day Metropolis had 31st century Metropolis’ aesthetic though, Sook draws one hell of a city scape.

I loved the Mordru guy! I’m not how much this interpretation differs from what’s come before but I really liked it. This was some of Bendis’ best DC work to me.

For me, it was the preview.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Cover for issue 4

Moore will be contributing for some special section in issue 4 similar to Young Justice and issues 6-10 of Superman.

Might be the origin of the three founders?

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Incredible Member

As someone who has no interest in LOSH/skips episodes with them featured... I liked this book. It felt fun and it gives off the same enjoyful vibe that YJ gives and it reminded me of Rebirth.

First significant exposure to LOSH and I think I like it.

Spectacular Member

I've been reading LSH since the early 60's and I thought that this was a strong beginning. I understand the complaints about the individual characters' voices, but if you went back and read the pre-Shooter issues of Adventure Comics you would find that most of the characters were pretty interchangeable personality-wise. This issue works as an introduction to a new version of the 31st Century. I think that character development will naturally follow later.

Quote Originally Posted by WTNew View Post
    I've been reading LSH since the early 60's and I thought that this was a strong beginning. I understand the complaints about the individual characters' voices, but if you went back and read the pre-Shooter issues of Adventure Comics you would find that most of the characters were pretty interchangeable personality-wise. This issue works as an introduction to a new version of the 31st Century. I think that character development will naturally follow later.
    LOL characters development ? Bendis ? lol

Astonishing Member

Not in the slightest. I have a budget (i live in Australia where comics cost me $7.95 and up). So something really has to grab me from the get go to justify its inclusion on my standing order list. This, unfortunately, didn't do that. Which is a shame because i do love the Legion. They are one of my favourite DC teams (JSA being the first).

I'll be honest and admit that the race bending of Lightning Lad was my first pet peeve with it. Yes, the Legion was created during a time when caucasians were the dominant characters in comics. But you rectify that by creating new characters with different racial backgrounds or new species altogether.

My second peeve is that Bendis never seems to be able to build on what already exists and has to either "reboot" it or tear the entire house down in order to build a new one. He did it with the Avengers and he is doing it here.

Is Bendis bad? Absolutely not. I've enjoyed his Superman work (Action more than Superman). However I've read enough of his stuff to know where this particular book is going. His writing style is best suited to solo books. Reading this just reminded me how ill-fitting he is with team books - repetitive dialogue and an inability to differentiate individual characters personalities. Everybody sounded the same and they shouldn't given the broad backgrounds each member comes from.

The art was gorgeous, though. But Sook never sticks around for long. So, even though I did enjoy the art, I can't stick around for that alone if I deem the story not to be worth the investment in both time and money.