Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Definitely Mark Waid and Chuck Dixon

1. Chuck Dixon on Nightwing - I truly believe he's such a great writer. So much so, that he can pick up right where he left off without any problems.

2. Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale - Definitely Loeb/Sale should return and do another series continuing the saga of Harvey Dent (Two-Face).

3. Keith Giffen & J.M. DeMatteis - After their work with Mary Marvel in Formerly Known as the Justice League and their "Superbuddies" segment from
    JLA Classified, I think the new SHAZAM! could benefit from some Giffen/DeMatteis humor.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 11-07-2019 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Added more words.

Chuck Dixon should never get near DC again.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Chuck Dixon should never get near DC again.
    Why??

The bloke has written in my opinion, the BEST Tim Drake Robin and Nightwing books EVER.
    Do you not like his writing or his political leanings?
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    Roy Thomas and Jerry Ordway on an All-Star Squadron mini and James Robinson and Tony Harris on ANYTHING Golden Age-JSA related.
    That was my first thought, but my second was of the last Levitz Legion run and how much I'd hate to see Roy's 1980's masterpieces undercut by a bad attempt to recapture them.

Is there anyone who has come back to a series/character they crushed after a long hiatus and doing as good or better? I just remember Waid's return to Flash, Shooter's three-boot run, Wolfman's Titans and thinking that if any of my other favorites came back it would be BAD!!

Jeph Loeb,Ed Brubaker,and Garth Ennis.
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

Another vote for Chuck Dixon.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    ...Keith Giffen & J.M. DeMatteis - After their work with Mary Marvel in Formerly Known as the Justice League and their "Superbuddies" segment from
    JLA Classified, I think the new SHAZAM! could benefit from some Giffen/DeMatteis humor.
    Know what? You changed my mind.

I've been rereading DC month by month; I'm currently in 1989 including JLI, and I'd decided Giffen needed burning at the stake. However, seeing your comment, I think he could do AMAZING work if given an entire, segregated SHAZAM-verse to play with.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

James Robinson on something not Golden Age related that he can really get into. He's kind of stuck as "the golden age guy" and yeah I mean STARMAN is amazing but I'd like to see him get to go another route.

I'd also love to see Rucka on more than Lois Lane (which is rad, btw!).

I'd like to see Jeff Parker on AQUAMAN again.

China Melville doing a Black Label SUPERMAN book, yes please.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Jimenez on WW. Again in its own mini or maxi. I really have no desire to see anyone I actually like being wasted during the 5G era.
    Well we're in luck, since we're getting the Historia black label book with Kelly Sue DeConnick. If nothing else, it's going to look gorgeous.

its something to look forward to while we weather the 5G stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    1. Chuck Dixon on Nightwing - I truly believe he's such a great writer. So much so, that he can pick up right where he left off without any problems.

2. Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale - Definitely Loeb/Sale should return and do another series continuing the saga of Harvey Dent (Two-Face).

3. Keith Giffen & J.M. DeMatteis - After their work with Mary Marvel in Formerly Known as the Justice League and their "Superbuddies" segment from
    All of this looks great. Would love it.

Here’s the first thing that should happen: fire Didio and Harris.

Then, give a loyal DC guy the Editor in Chief job. I’m thinking someone like Tomasi. Then, bring back people like Waid, Busiek, Simone, and Joe Kelly.

Steal away some talent from Marvel. Remender, Soule, and, dare I say, Slott.

Then, start compartmenatlizing (I made up a word I think) the different franchises under the hand of the EIC and the various group editors to form a coherent continuity. Keep the talent you have a go full force on making good books with the writers and the only handcuffs they have is having the universe lineup with a steady flow of jus enough continuity. No more stuff like Businessman Lex in one title while Apex Lex is in another.

You have the trinity. Bendis should stay on Supes for the simple fact that he is in middle of something and it should play out. Give Batman to Soule and Detective to Priest. Let’s see what Simone can do with WonderWoman.

Keep Morrison in control of the Green Lantern corner. Let’s see what Remender can do with the Flash wing.

Now, we need to look at other properties and see how we can get them to sell. Let let Slott fix the Titans corner. Put Busiek and Waid in control of the Justice League books. Give Snyder the job of making the cosmic, non GL corner work. Give King Suicide Squad. Put Johns back on JSA where he belongs. Etc.

Now, for art. There was this funny thing about a decade ago where if an artist was on a book, they usually did at least ten issues of the book a year. Stop the whole different artist every other issue. Be consistent and coherent.

Standalone stories with crossovers every so often. Events should be few and far between so as not to water down the crazy.

Just my thoughts, but what do I know.

Fantastic Member

I would love Simone to come back and write a Birds of Prey series but I don't know if she can top the one she did after Dickson. I read them both back to back and her run I'd just seems like the natural progression of what Dicksion was doing with the team.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Neil Gaiman should have an open invitation to write anything he wants with DC just seeing if they can fit it into continuity or Black Label.

I'd always be down for Denny O'Neil to do more work in Gotham, though I admit the current status quo is so woeful I'd hate to see him try to untangle it. For that matter, what's Steve Englehart up to?

I wouldn't be against Kevin Smith writing more Green Arrow. I don't think he's a good fit for Batman, but Ollie did fit him a lot better. Same type of narrative, but significantly lower stakes, Ollie is far more prone to humor and overall he actually did a great job establishing a direction for Winnick to screw up. I quite enjoyed Ben Percy on GA as well, so that's cool too.

Gail Simone on a Black Canary/Green Arrow book would be great. While I don't think it's her favorite pairing, she can write both very well and is a good fit for a team-up book. I'm not entirely sure, but I think Dinah is her favorite character so I imagine-- at least somewhere-- Dinah will be getting treated like the A-Lister she should be.

Jeff Parker on a second Aquaman book, ideally "Aquaman and Mera." I'm enjoying KSD's current run, but Parker was a real unsung hero of the New 52 era who followed Johns greatly and introduced the best version of Atlanna we'll likely ever see.

Mark Waid is a pipe dream so long as editorial doesn't change guard, but he clearly knows and loves the DCU. Love him or hate him, I still believe he'd be great to have back.

Paul Dini if he could stay on-schedule. He'd be great for either Detective Comics or Zatanna. He's done both, he's solid at both and when he's on his game he's one of the best. At worst, he's average. There are far greater sins than always batting at worst a base hit.

May be divisive, but Chuck Dixon has done some great work in Gotham. I may not like the guy's politics, but Robin Year One was excellent, he really made Nightwing work as a solo hero, as did he Robin and I enjoyed his Batman at the time. If we must have Neal Adams mini series (I can't believe I'm alive to question if I want him drawing Batman, but his writing of late has left much to be desired), maybe pair these two up and see what we get?

James Robinson is a weird one because while he's certainly capable of clunkers (Wonder Woman, Superman), Starman alone means I'd always listen to a pitch of his. The Golden Age is icing on that already enticing cake.

Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis with Kevin Maguire NOT on Justice League. I love JLI, I'm currently rereading the run a few issues a night before bed on DC Universe, but I'd like to see them tackle a new property or even return to The Metal Men. I've heard discussion of a Robins book and I think these guys would be a great fit. They're excellent at riding the line between humor and actual narratives. When they get it together, I'm amazed at how deftly they can make me laugh while providing a satisfying story. You know what? Maybe a mini on The Creeper. My god, the Creeper.

Ed Brubaker and put him on The Question or Lois Lane. Please.

Matt Wagner on whatever he wants, be it a victory lap on Sandman Mystery Theater, more Batman, I don't care.

Just some to name a few.
    Last edited by Robanker; 11-11-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Kyle Baker on Plastic Man.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.