Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Black Manta #1 Preview

Black Manta #1 Preview
    Writer: Chuck Brown
    Artist: Valentine De Landro

wait there is a Black Manta book?!
    The J-man

Well, not just a Aquaman rogue, but the Aquaman rogue.

Incredible Member

Chuck Brown?

....you have my attention.
    Don't complain. Create.

Ultimate Member

What is his motivation these days, anyways? Just revenge on Aquaman for killing Daddo?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    What is his motivation these days, anyways? Just revenge on Aquaman for killing Daddo?
    That was basically Johns’ approach because every character he writes needs to be traumatized by the death of their parent. Basically every character needs to be Batman.

I’m hoping this series can flesh out Manta a bit. He’s a super cool character and deserves this spotlight.

Basically his motivation is 90% hates Aquaman and 10% getting what he feels he's owed by the sea.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    That was basically Johns’ approach because every character he writes needs to be traumatized by the death of their parent. Basically every character needs to be Batman.

I’m hoping this series can flesh out Manta a bit. He’s a super cool character and deserves this spotlight.
    It is a common fallback for Johns, which is odd, because he can write some interesting characterization for villains. Zoom, Mirror Master, Captain Cold and a host of others.

I think it worked in the context of his run and makes the enmity more personal. And it got mined a lot for Manta's daddy issues in the KSD run.

At least Ocean Master wasn't really defined by his dead parents.

First time hearing about this. The art looks good and story is promising. I'll check it out.

I think it's pretty cool that the character he'll be going up against in this series is called Devil Ray. That was the name of the Black Manta knockoff on JLU. They apparently couldn't get the rights for Manta, so they created a stand-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think it's pretty cool that the character he'll be going up against in this series is called Devil Ray. That was the name of the Black Manta knockoff on JLU. They apparently couldn't get the rights for Manta, so they created a stand-in.
    Yeah, it was because of the Mercy Reef pilot with Justin Hartley that they couldn't use Aquaman or his associated characters. Aquaman was supposed to fight Manta in the episode Devil Ray first appears in.

Astonishing Member

Oh cool. I think the Aquaman ongoing stuff lately has been interesting. Black Manta's first mini, Aqualad getting the push which feels kind of inspired by Young Justice. Aquaman himself is one of my top two DC heroes so I'm of course interested in what it all means for him and Mera, and I'm also quite stoked for the Green Arrow/Aquaman More Fun Mini than anything. Should be interesting to see where it goes.

The art here looks nice.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Ultimate Member

Other than dead parents, has anyone else ever updated his motivation since the silver age, where he wanted to create a black utopia underwater?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Other than dead parents, has anyone else ever updated his motivation since the silver age, where he wanted to create a black utopia underwater?
    pretty sure they retconned that as a lie long before Flashpoint even. I think the last time they touched on something to that effect was Black Manta's dad being hard in him to prepare him for the cruelty he'll face as a black man being a contributing factor to his cold and ruthless mentality. if im remembering it right, it basically implied that he was always gonna be this sorta ball of nihilistic black rage, it's just so happens Aquaman gave him something to aim it at.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."