Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Bendis' Ollie is... meh. Not as bad as Percy's or Taylor's (both fall into pretty different, yet stereotypical takes on the character) but still his voice is not as good as I would hope for, particularly because he doesn't address his personal flaws at all (I don't think anyone who knows Ollie as a character would call him "a good man").

Sure, Bendis hasn't written Ollie for too long to completely judge him but at the same time, he's not really good at creating complex characterization as a whole.
    I'm the reverse - I liked the character back when he was a good man. Have disliked so much that's been done with him since post-COIE era. Hated it, really. So, if it's more of that, just count me out.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think an important distinction is that he tries to be a good man.
    "Tries" being the keyword obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'm the reverse - I liked the character back when he was a good man. Have disliked so much that's been done with him since post-COIE era. Hated it, really. So, if it's more of that, just count me out.
    Even the pre-COIE Ollie was far from being "a good man". He was a millionaire who became a superhero just for thrill of it and once that he lost his fortune, he conveniently decided to become "a champion of the people" telling every single person he knew better than them which only made him look like a massive hypocritical douche (and of course, there's the little detail of how he abandoned Roy when he became addicted to drugs).

"Tries" being the keyword obviously.
    I think he can suceed in some regards.
    Even the pre-COIE Ollie was far from being "a good man". He was a millionaire who became a superhero just for thrill of it and once that he lost his fortune, he conveniently decided to become "a champion of the people" telling every single person he knew better than them which only made him look like a massive hypocritical douche (and of course, there's the little detail of how he abandoned Roy when he became addicted to drugs).
    I don't know if it was ever for the thrill of it. Maybe it was partially that but he did it to fight crime and make a difference like most heroes do.

He screwed up with Roy but he tries to make up for it. Green Arrow's whole shtick is making mistakes but learning from them and trying to be a better person.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think he can suceed in some regards.

I don't know if it was ever for the thrill of it. Maybe it was partially that but he did it to fight crime and make a difference like most heroes do.

He screwed up with Roy but he tries to make up for it. Green Arrow's whole shtick is making mistakes but learning from them and trying to be a better person.
    Yeah. Ultimately, Ollie is a good person. There's only a select few writers who like to bring Ollie back to his "cheats-on-Dinah, is a douche" ways. The Ollie I've always loved is the one who runs his mouth faster than his reason, but ultimately means very well. I don't think Razko and I will ever see eye-to-eye with respect to Oliver Queen.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I have to admit, I also enjoyed Judd Winick's run on Green Arrow quite a bit.
    He started a little wobbly (again with the cheating on Dinah and awful GL crossover), but finished strongly.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I have to admit, I also enjoyed Judd Winick's run on Green Arrow quite a bit.
    He started a little wobbly (again with the cheating on Dinah and awful GL crossover), but finished strongly.
    Yeah, Winnick is one of those writers I don't care for on Ollie for the most part. He's not terrible in small doses, but I did read his entire run from GA through the wedding and into GABC and the sum total is a big no thanks from me.

I don't know, is Fraction doing anything after Jimmy Olsen? I feel like Gail Simone could do a good GA/BC mini at least, if not ongoing. She's already proven a solid fit for Dinah and Ollie is certainly in her wheelhouse.

I think Oliver is a good man and hero.....but a bad friend, boyfriend, mentor, etc. If that makes sense. And yeah I'd love to see Taylor write a GA/BC ongoing. Even if he drags Harley into it.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I feel like Gail Simone could do a good GA/BC mini at least, if not ongoing. She's already proven a solid fit for Dinah and Ollie is certainly in her wheelhouse.
    Oooh yes!!

Gail Simone would be an interesting choice!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Not Tom Taylor.

Garth Ennis.
    You know, I've never really thought about Ennis before. Now that I have, I would absolutely be down for it. The only downside is that Ennis works best when he is left alone and i don't see that happening at DC. Not the way it is at the moment.

Other suggestions would be Morrison, Ellis and Ed Brisson (but he is too entrenched at Marvel at the moment).

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Bendis. This is a character that would play to his strengths as a writer. Greg Rucka is another choice
    Exactly what I came to say. I'd add Ed Brubaker to the list.

Green Arrow has always worked very well as a character driven hero rather than a story driven hero. These guys all write from the character first and go from there.

I'd also love to see what Jason Aaron could do with GA.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Mike Grell.
    "You address omnipotence. Tread carefully."

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I don't know, is Fraction doing anything after Jimmy Olsen? I feel like Gail Simone could do a good GA/BC mini at least, if not ongoing. She's already proven a solid fit for Dinah and Ollie is certainly in her wheelhouse.
    The thing is I don't think she's ever bought completely into the GA/BC relationship, so short of that having changed with time I doubt she'd write something with them together like that.

I enjoyed Jeff Lemire...though maybe quite a few of the central ideas were “borrowed” from Miller Daredevil and Fraction Iron Fist runs...wouldn’t mind seeing him return.

In general I’d like to see any writer who was willing to give Ollie a decent power set or a more sensible way of working than using a bow and arrow. But I know that anathema to hard core GA fans.

The thing is I don't think she's ever bought completely into the GA/BC relationship, so short of that having changed with time I doubt she'd write something with them together like that.
    I don't think so, she wrote them very well on the JLU episode. I think she may just prefer Dinah and Babs, but I don't think she dislikes Dinah with Ollie. She was against them marrying, that much I know.

Eric Van Lustbader