Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Who should write a GA regular? Elliot S! Maggin, of course. Nobody wrote a more fun Ollie than his.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Typecasting? How so?
    The whole gritty street level thing. Stumptown, the Question, Punisher, etc

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Who should write a GA regular? Elliot S! Maggin, of course. Nobody wrote a more fun Ollie than his.
    I loved Barr’s Ollie.

Yep....Greg Rucka and Liam Sharp....on a Green Arrow/Black Canary book!

I think Black Label is a great chance to have a GA book, though I would also be fine with a limited series.

I don't care about a month to month regular title when it comes to GA. Whenever a writer thinks she/he has a good story for the character, then it can be pitched and DC editorial can agree or not to develop the book.

I love Green Arrow, but usually, after one writer that I like ends his run, I don't care for the one that follows. The only exception might be when we had from Kevin Smith, to Brad Meltzer to Judd Winick (I still have a lot of reading pending from his GA years). I liked Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino's run and, once Rebirth started, what Percy did alongside Schmidt and Ferreyra (among others), but I think the character deserves a treatment similar to what DC does with Mr Miracle or The Question, who are mostly secondaries and they may not always carry a title, but when they do, it's usually something interesting and where a writer has an idea that may be different from the general scenario of superheroes' comicbooks. Once the writer is done, the character is put to rest until someone else has a bold concept or story to try.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

About which writer I think can deliver a great GA, I like many of the options listed in the thread, but my top candidate is Tom Taylor, especially after reading his current title, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of Jeff Lemire, who you guys have already mentioned. I really wanted a lot more of what he and Sorrentino were serving when they were on Green Arrow.

Also, I would second Frontier's suggestion for Jeff Parker.

Mighty Member

I'm leaning towards Christopher Priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I think Black Label is a great chance to have a GA book, though I would also be fine with a limited series.

I don't care about a month to month regular title when it comes to GA. Whenever a writer thinks she/he has a good story for the character, then it can be pitched and DC editorial can agree or not to develop the book.

I love Green Arrow, but usually, after one writer that I like ends his run, I don't care for the one that follows. The only exception might be when we had from Kevin Smith, to Brad Meltzer to Judd Winick (I still have a lot of reading pending from his GA years). I liked Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino's run and, once Rebirth started, what Percy did alongside Schmidt and Ferreyra (among others), but I think the character deserves a treatment similar to what DC does with Mr Miracle or The Question, who are mostly secondaries and they may not always carry a title, but when they do, it's usually something interesting and where a writer has an idea that may be different from the general scenario of superheroes' comicbooks. Once the writer is done, the character is put to rest until someone else has a bold concept or story to try.
    I wouldn't mind a Black Label GA title, but I think Ollie is too big a name and too big a brand to just get relegated to mini's...

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Ugh. Wrong thread.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wouldn't mind a Black Label GA title, but I think Ollie is too big a name and too big a brand to just get relegated to mini's...
    I don't know, I think he'd do great in a thee-part prestige format where an old, grizzled Ollie has to come out of retirement to hunt down the man who stole his recipe for chili. Call it "Green Arrow: Unsizzled" and get Frank Miller to write it with art by Mike Grell.

I'm sorry. I'll be good.

I think Grell's take on GA could do well in the Black Label imprint, or maybe Matt Wagner (if only to free him from editorial's demands). Either would be a definite purchase from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Aside from the Arrow t.v. series, Green Arrow's brand isn't that large and his previous series have ranged from average to poor for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I don't know, I think he'd do great in a thee-part prestige format where an old, grizzled Ollie has to come out of retirement to hunt down the man who stole his recipe for chili. Call it "Green Arrow: Unsizzled" and get Frank Miller to write it with art by Mike Grell.

I'm sorry. I'll be good.

I think Grell's take on GA could do well in the Black Label imprint, or maybe Matt Wagner (if only to free him from editorial's demands). Either would be a definite purchase from me.
    Again, I could totally see GA carry a Black Label title or mini, but I think he should nominally also have an ongoing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Aside from the Arrow t.v. series, Green Arrow's brand isn't that large and his previous series have ranged from average to poor for the most part.
    I think Green Arrow has actually been a pretty steadfast DC title, even if he never sets the sales world on fire. But he's held an ongoing for quite a long time.

Well, since we had the 80th Anniversary one-shot a couple of months ago, and we currently have both Bendis writing Ollie in a couple of books and the Aquaman & Ollie mini-series, any new thought or changes in opinion on who you think could handle writing a regular Green Arrow book (if / when DC ever revives that title)?

Astonishing Member

Batman and Green Arrow....written by Batman.