Page 7 of 124 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Back in July i did a full circle thing and based a Marvel team on The Terrifics, a DC team based on Marvel’s Fantasic Four...

...last night i revisited the concept w. some different characters...

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    The Oh-My-God-They're-Really-Just-Superman Squad!

Featuring:

Blue Marvel!
    Sentry!
    Hyperion!
    Gladiator!
    Thor!
    Captain Marvel!
    Hulk but he's wearing Dr. Strange's Cloak of Levitation! (not actually just Superman)

With occasional guest-star Spider-Man, whose powers are not really much like Superman, but the rest of him kind of is, since his birth-parents were scientists, he was raised by down-to-Earth good ol' folks, his secret identity is a (sometimes) bespectacled nerd who works for a loudmouth newspaper editor, and who flies over the heads of people in his metropolitan home city while wearing a blue-and-red costume!

Anyway, they all team up to fight Count Nefaria.
    Don't forget Miracleman/Marvelman, Wonder Man, Gabriel Shepherd, Virtue (Ethan Edwards), Ultra Girl, M, Miss America, Xenith, Kid Gladiator, Adamantine, Sun God, Prime, Captain Britain, Comet Man, King Hyperion, The Captain (of NextWave fame), Power Skrull, etc., etc. Imitation may be a form of flattery, but it can also signify a disturbing obsession. I don't think even DC has this many different variations of Superman.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Don't forget Miracleman/Marvelman, Wonder Man, Gabriel Shepherd, Virtue (Ethan Edwards), Ultra Girl, M, Miss America, Xenith, Kid Gladiator, Adamantine, Sun God, Prime, Captain Britain, Comet Man, King Hyperion, The Captain (of NextWave fame), Power Skrull, etc., etc. Imitation may be a form of flattery, but it can also signify a disturbing obsession. I don't think even DC has this many different variations of Superman.
    Interesting. There are some on that list I agree with but are we just clumpmping "Flying Bricks" into "Superman Clone" here?
    Miracle Man / Marvel man is Fawcett Comics Captain Marvel, which is a different archetype. I'm kinda feeling like Captain Britan doesn't really fit either. *scratches head*
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Interesting. There are some on that list I agree with but are we just clumpmping "Flying Bricks" into "Superman Clone" here?
    Miracle Man / Marvel man is Fawcett Comics Captain Marvel, which is a different archetype. I'm kinda feeling like Captain Britan doesn't really fit either. *scratches head*
    I tried breaking that down for ppl once, as they were calling characters like Captain Atom and Shazam Superman ripoffs.

Paraphrasing...
    Superman is the classic “strange visitor” type character.
    Comes from somewhere else, be it a planet or dimension, with innate powers.
    Shazam is the “wish fulfillment” type character, where a normal person -becomes- the hero, via a magic word, formula or other plot device.

Miracle Man and Superior as an example are CM types. Thor himself originally fell under the CM umbrella. Utraverse’s Prime was famously a CM type.

Characters like Blue Marvel, WS Apollo, and even Supreme, are not Superman -or- CM types.
    They fall under “exposed to energy/take part in an experiment and become altered” umbrella.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Unfortunately, Firestar is confirmed to be a loyal Krakoan as of X-Force #2. The X-Office is damnably pushing ALL KNOWN EARTH MUTANTS are 100% in Krakoa now, with only random mutant NPCs to be rounded up (Franklin they'll get to in February, probably by making a honey trap out of Kate, whom Franklin took a shine too when he was still and kid and she was still just KITTY).
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

Thanks for the info;
    I may be in the minority as a reader but really don’t like this new direction for mutants.

Why Mastermind?
    I just think he’s an underrated villain who would make them look good in their first team up.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I was simply listing the names of some of the many characters that fans at one point or another have claimed to be Superman tropes.

As for Captain Marvel (Shazam) and Superman, let's not forget that DC sued Fawcett successfully on the grounds that Marvel was a ripoff of their original character. I tend to agree that Superman and Captain Marvel have more than enough distinct traits to be considered entirely different concepts, but court precedent says otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I just think he’s an underrated villain who would make them look good in their first team up.
    I have to agree, he always poses a good threat!

For the life of me, I can't fashion together a Marvel UK "Excalibur" team with faves and NOT have it be an exercise in bleaching the lily.

Our Broken Lady, leader and powerhouse

Her weird exGF, lancer and mechanic

Her brother's best friend, athlete and sentimental

Then Laura Kinney as the team's surly squire, Death's Head 2 in a carwreck romance with Gatecrasher, Widget, a Destine or two maybe but most of them are basic, Feron for God's sake... but I also want Betsy-adjacent Claremontian weirdos like Thunderbird 3 and Spiral. And Neal is the only face among them with a speck of melanin --and he's nowhere near the central cast.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    For the life of me, I can't fashion together a Marvel UK "Excalibur" team with faves and NOT have it be an exercise in bleaching the lily.

Our Broken Lady, leader and powerhouse

Her weird exGF, lancer and mechanic

Her brother's best friend, athlete and sentimental

Then Laura Kinney as the team's surly squire, Death's Head 2 in a carwreck romance with Gatecrasher, Widget, a Destine or two maybe but most of them are basic, Feron for God's sake... but I also want Betsy-adjacent Claremontian weirdos like Thunderbird 3 and Spiral. And Neal is the only face among them with a speck of melanin --and he's nowhere near the central cast.
    It sounds like a big ol’ rambling tale, w. lots of potential for action/humor/soap opera moments.
    This is where Excalibur excels, or at least the early incarnation did.
    I like your set up!

It sounds like a big ol’ rambling tale, w. lots of potential for action/humor/soap opera moments.
    Thanks! It's spinning out of a distaste for the latest volume of Excalibur and missing the wacky soapy fun stuff you mention. I don't like that she left Krakoa in order to avoid a confrontation with Kwannon and her own feelings. That's the absolute opposite of X-Men behavior. I'd have started DoX with a brawl between both women: Betsy representing the X-Men's hypocritical past, Kwannon standing in for the disenfranchised villains, resurrected, and homeless. A misunderstanding turns to one-on-one mortal kombat, with powers and voices exchanging bodies, wounds held together by telekinetic friends. Magneto demands one leave and Betsy offers to go. She has another home in Britain. Kwannon can stay in Krakoa and keep Betsy's name, friends, and home.

So Betsy finds herself at Braddock Manor / Braddock Academy, which is exactly like Xavier's school years ago. Meggan is the Headmistress. Kylun, Lionheart and the Destine family are there, teaching. Faiza Hussein is the campus physician. Meanwhile her brother has successfully brought Braddock Industrial back on track with the help of mys-tech engineer Shevaun Haldane. Shevaun briefly dated Betsy when she was in Kwannon's body, so it's another weird confrontation.

This time, I'd have Gatecrasher show up looking for help from Brian, Meggan, and the rest of Excalibur. She took a bounty for the interdimensional criminal Spiral and needs 1. a team and 2. a way between worlds. Brian has a family on 616, and responsibilities, so he gives his sullen sister a job: lead a new Excalibur as Captain Britain. Betsy recruits Shevaun, Kylun, and Widget to join Gatecrasher in travelling to Mojoworld. There, they are challenged by Death's Head V, who's ALSO on the bounty hunt for Spiral. It's a cross-time caper that goes from one end of the multiverse to the other.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 12-03-2019 at 11:44 AM.

^^^see that’s what i’m talking about; a story you can really sink your teeth into from month to month. Your treatment actually SEEMS like an Excalibur comic, not just another X team using the name.

^^^see that’s what i’m talking about; a story you can really sink your teeth into from month to month. Your treatment actually SEEMS like an Excalibur comic, not just another X team using the name.
    Aw thanks man. Like I said, i've been wrestling with the idea for a while. I wanted to build an Excalibur with Betsy at the center that reflected her personal "reset" with a return to Marvel UK's super weird corner. I while part of the charm of the original series was its relative conservative status quo, I hate how English it is. Kylun's Scottish, but he's a lion for God's sake.

I'll have a think about what other combinations I can make for you. I want to "base it on whatever" but I like to have a setting or goal in mind. My idea for updating the Starjammers concept turned into the Snikts space jam band that you liked so much. Maybe something closer to the ground.

I want to "base it on whatever" but I like to have a setting or goal in mind.
    So do I, for the most part. I like to throw in some backstory, if I can, or at least jot down my reasoning for using the characters i’ve picked.