Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TIL: Forge and Storm were in a relationship

Hello Friends,

Today I learned that Forge and Storm were dating and almost engaged. This is all new to me. I’d appreciate if y’all could explain to me their relationship, how long did they date? What happened? I know Jean was involved in the debacle but how and why?

Help this noob out xx

Many blessings
    Yikes, my grammar has gone to ****. Rip

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Goes back to the late 80's and early 90's. When the big X-Men revamp hit that juggled the teams and created the original blue and gold teams, Forge and Banshee were noncombat support staff. Storm was leading the gold team and Forge asked her to marry him and retire as X-Men. She didn't give him an immediate answer so after a while (I don't remember how long) he found Jean and asked her what she thought Storm would do. Jean didn't believe Storm would want to give up the fight and reluctantly told him that. Forge got pissed off, confronted Storm then left the mansion and the X-Men. Storm was left emotionally shattered and whispering that she was going to say yes.

Forge was introduced as a weapons designer for the military industrial complex(specifically DARPA). He developed a weapon that would strip a super-powered being(any kind) of their powers. Rogue was wanted for a crime and Peter Gyrich used Forge's weapon, trying to depower her, but Forge slammed into him when he was firing and Storm took the shot instead of Rogue and lost her powers in a huge blast, which let Rogue escape in the confusion. Storm almost drowned in the Mississippi River and Forge took her to his home in Texas to help her recuperate.

Ororo was deeply depressed in losing her connection to the Earth/nature/the weather(her real power). Almost suicidal. Forge showed her he too had lost something(his hand and leg in the war), but didn't give up. They kinda fall for each other. But then Ororo learns the truth about the weapon which took her powers and who made it. She leaves Forge, hurt and betrayed, and returns to the X-Men for a while. She becomes hardened and deadly, leaning more into her fighting abilities and strategic mind. But eventually she realizes she needs her powers to be the best asset to the X-Men she can be, so she leaves the team for a while to find Forge and make him restore her powers.

This eventually leads to her being tricked by The Adversary(in the form of Forge's teacher, Naze) into stabbing Forge. The Adversary then throws the two of them into another dimension. Ororo tends to his wounds, feeling foolish for having been tricked so, but once Forge is stable, she leaves him to do some soul searching. She spends most of a year venturing to Africa and back, with no powers or technology(it is a virgin earth, no other humans, just animals and such), trying to find some resolution. She comes back to him and they have sex(for the first time). He has used the circuitry in his cybernetic limbs to create a device to restore her powers, and another to take them back to their own dimension. With her powers restored, she is able to power the device(maybe a spell?) to take them back.

They and the X-Men(and Freedom Force) fight the Adversary, but Forge must use the same spell he used on his Vietnam war buddies on the X-Men, so in essence he kills them and uses their lifeforce to hurl the Adversary out and lock the portal behind him. The whole world, including Forge and Mystique, think the X-Men are dead, but in actuality Roma has resurrected them and so begins the Outback era. The team had many adventures before Forge and Banshee go out in pursuit of them, and it is only in X-Tinction Agenda that Storm and Forge are reunited(small complication, Ororo is in a barely pubescent body, having been deaged by the Nanny...). Ororo is reaged to maturity by the end of that x-over and she and Forge begin dating again during the brief space adventure to get Xavier back into the fold(which then leads to the Muir Island/ShadowKing saga). Then before you know it, the Blue/Gold era is upon us and Forge proposes to Ororo. She needs a moment to think it over and goes flying. While she's gone, Forge goes to Jean and asks her if Ororo loves him. Jean totally makes the scene awkward and Forge gets all pissy. Storm comes back from her flight ready to say yes when Forge comes in, reads her for filth, retracts his proposal, and leaves with Mystique(who is all crazy since Destiny died in the Muir Island Saga). Left my girl crying on the balcony alone. I have hated him ever since.

They sorta went on a date or two here or there since(mostly in that early 90's period), but it was never again that serious, since Forge was on X-Factor and Storm was in X-Men. In the grand scheme of things, I think of Forge more as a plot device for Storm's development[during her depowered phase under Claremont]. While I am not totally in favor of the T'Challa romance either, I am glad the Forge 'ship has been firmly put to rest in the modern era.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Forge was introduced as a weapons designer for the military industrial complex(specifically DARPA). He developed a weapon that would strip a super-powered being(any kind) of their powers. Rogue was wanted for a crime and Peter Gyrich used Forge's weapon, trying to depower her, but Forge slammed into him when he was firing and Storm took the shot instead of Rogue and lost her powers in a huge blast, which let Rogue escape in the confusion. Storm almost drowned in the Mississippi River and Forge took her to his home in Texas to help her recuperate.

Ororo was deeply depressed in losing her connection to the Earth/nature/the weather(her real power). Almost suicidal. Forge showed her he too had lost something(his hand and leg in the war), but didn't give up. They kinda fall for each other. But then Ororo learns the truth about the weapon which took her powers and who made it. She leaves Forge, hurt and betrayed, and returns to the X-Men for a while. She becomes hardened and deadly, leaning more into her fighting abilities and strategic mind. But eventually she realizes she needs her powers to be the best asset to the X-Men she can be, so she leaves the team for a while to find Forge and make him restore her powers.

This eventually leads to her being tricked by The Adversary(in the form of Forge's teacher, Naze) into stabbing Forge. The Adversary then throws the two of them into another dimension. Ororo tends to his wounds, feeling foolish for having been tricked so, but once Forge is stable, she leaves him to do some soul searching. She spends most of a year venturing to Africa and back, with no powers or technology(it is a virgin earth, no other humans, just animals and such), trying to find some resolution. She comes back to him and they have sex(for the first time). He has used the circuitry in his cybernetic limbs to create a device to restore her powers, and another to take them back to their own dimension. With her powers restored, she is able to power the device(maybe a spell?) to take them back.

They and the X-Men(and Freedom Force) fight the Adversary, but Forge must use the same spell he used on his Vietnam war buddies on the X-Men, so in essence he kills them and uses their lifeforce to hurl the Adversary out and lock the portal behind him. The whole world, including Forge and Mystique, think the X-Men are dead, but in actuality Roma has resurrected them and so begins the Outback era. The team had many adventures before Forge and Banshee go out in pursuit of them, and it is only in X-Tinction Agenda that Storm and Forge are reunited(small complication, Ororo is in a barely pubescent body, having been deaged by the Nanny...). Ororo is reaged to maturity by the end of that x-over and she and Forge begin dating again during the brief space adventure to get Xavier back into the fold(which then leads to the Muir Island/ShadowKing saga). Then before you know it, the Blue/Gold era is upon us and Forge proposes to Ororo. She needs a moment to think it over and goes flying. While she's gone, Forge goes to Jean and asks her if Ororo loves him. Jean totally makes the scene awkward and Forge gets all pissy. Storm comes back from her flight ready to say yes when Forge comes in, reads her for filth, retracts his proposal, and leaves with Mystique(who is all crazy since Destiny died in the Muir Island Saga). Left my girl crying on the balcony alone. I have hated him ever since.

They sorta went on a date or two here or there since(mostly in that early 90's period), but it was never again that serious, since Forge was on X-Factor and Storm was in X-Men. In the grand scheme of things, I think of Forge more as a plot device for Storm's development[during her depowered phase under Claremont]. While I am not totally in favor of the T'Challa romance either, I am glad the Forge 'ship has been firmly put to rest in the modern era.

Their story is kinda cute and romantic. I would like to read it, any recs?

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Their story is kinda cute and romantic. I would like to read it, any recs?
    Basically you have to read Uncanny X-Men from 184 until 290 for the main story(not to mention various issues of X-Factor, New Mutants, X-Men vol 2, etc). It's peppered throughout the whole run.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Awe back when Storm actually had personal drama that played out in the X-books.

Storm and Forge really had it all. Love, with trials and tribulations. They could be a lot more popular if any of the cartoons or movies gave Storm a love life.

But the way Forge acted in the end really showed that Storm dodged a bullet.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

While it never quite petered out, the Storm-Forge ship did get some prominent mention in some of the trading card releases of old, particularly that SkyBox series which featured split-card images for arch-enemies, "Storm vs. Mystique" (1993):
    imagessvm.jpg
    imagessvm2.jpg
    And it was also central to Storm's ending in Capcom's "X-Men: Children of the Atom," the storyline of which is now woefully irrelevant and obsolete in light of the new status quo that is HoxPoxDox.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

Basically you have to read Uncanny X-Men from 184 until 290 for the main story(not to mention various issues of X-Factor, New Mutants, X-Men vol 2, etc). It's peppered throughout the whole run.
    Alright, friend. Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post

Storm and Forge really had it all. Love, with trials and tribulations. They could be a lot more popular if any of the cartoons or movies gave Storm a love life.

But the way Forge acted in the end really showed that Storm dodged a bullet.
    For real, and I’m not feeling her relationship with King T either. I feel like he mistreats her too.

Give Storm a plot, Marvel

Storm and Forge really had it all. Love, with trials and tribulations. They could be a lot more popular if any of the cartoons or movies gave Storm a love life. .
    Ikr the cartoons painted her as such a frigid ice queen No idea why. I hated that Storm was included in the Evo cartoon as an adult??? Again...
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Give Storm a plot, Marvel
    FO'REALZZZZZ
    Then before you know it, the Blue/Gold era is upon us and Forge proposes to Ororo. She needs a moment to think it over and goes flying. While she's gone, Forge goes to Jean and asks her if Ororo loves him. Jean totally makes the scene awkward and Forge gets all pissy. Storm comes back from her flight ready to say yes when Forge comes in, reads her for filth, retracts his proposal, and leaves with Mystique(who is all crazy since Destiny died in the Muir Island Saga). Left my girl crying on the balcony alone. I have hated him ever since..
    Dayyyyyum had no idea it went down like that! I miss the days of a writer developing/pushing lots of different characters in their roster, not just their PETS
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Ikr the cartoons painted her as such a frigid ice queen No idea why. I hated that Storm was included in the Evo cartoon as an adult??? Again...
    Why?
    What, you didn't like the X-men's totally radical and TUBULAR skateboarder Spike?

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Dayyyyyum had no idea it went down like that! I miss the days of a writer developing/pushing lots of different characters in their roster, not just their PETS
    It's such delicious drama.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I dont recall any love in their relationship initially. it was more a comicbook telling of the Stockholm syndrome. he was abusive and cold. she fell for him and wanted his approval though she didnt understand why. nothing cute about it.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Forge was toxic af to Ororo, but it's still the most interesting relationship she ever had.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

What, you didn't like the X-men's totally radical and TUBULAR skateboarder Spike?
    Well, I liked Spyke even if power-wise he came across as a gender-bent Marrow (since I was introduced to her first via "Marvel vs. Capcom 2"). It was also an interesting alternative circumstance for Ororo, who is established in the "Evo" verse to still have close ties to her surviving relatives in America, particularly a mutant nephew who thinks the world of his "Auntie O."
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Forge was toxic af to Ororo, but it's still the most interesting relationship she ever had.
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    Well, I liked Spyke even if power-wise he came across as a gender-bent Marrow (since I was introduced to her first via "Marvel vs. Capcom 2"). It was also an interesting alternative circumstance for Ororo, who is established in the "Evo" verse to still have close ties to her surviving relatives in America, particularly a mutant nephew who thinks the world of his "Auntie O."
    Yeah, giving her surviving relatives in America is actually a great idea. Would like to see something like that in the comics.

TAS also made her an aunt/mother to that speedster kid in Kenya, which was cool too.