Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Default New Mutants 1 Discussion with SPOILERS

The comic opens up with a flashback of Wolfsbane being resurrected. Xavier and Storm welcome her back to the world of the living. Ororo reassures her that all the past sins are gone now, since they live in a new world. It's time to start over!

In the present, Rahne is daydreaming on Krakoa when she gets interrupted by Karma. Rahne is finally happy with herself. Xi'an asks her if she wants to talk about her death experience and possible issues connected to it, but she says shes finally happy as she is.

We move to Mondo and Cipher working together. Doug wants Mondo to fuse with Krakoa to see if they're able to communicate with each other, but it doesn't seem to work. So Doug asks Krakoa if he wants to give it a try, and Krakoa kind of possesses Mondo, who remains trapped inside of Krakoa's mind. Neither of them seems to like this situation so they give up on this experiment and never try it again.

Next scene is in the Akademos Habitat (that looks amazing, art is really great). Danielle Moonstar (now back to Mirage) and Sunspot are walking around the habitat commenting on how far they've come (they literally talk a figurative walk through the mutants' history). We see a lot of familiar faces and it looks like this habitat is where older and newer young generations of mutants live. We see Monet and her sisters (in Penance form!), the old Hellions and the newer Hellions and Glob Herman (maybe with Match). Dani explains how the people living there, the younger generation, is the Sixth Generation of Mutants and Akademos is their Home.

There's then a funny scene with Chamber and Magik. Apparently the new green kid from HoX 1 (a.k.a. Fauna) was able (with help from Synch and Monet) to grow a delicious new kind of Krakoan coffee bean. They all have a drink and it's all very wholesome. Funny part with Mondo lowkey hinting that they're drinking Fauna's or Krakoa's poop in reality lol.

Roberto and Dani are all happy and they look exactly like I looked while reading this first pages, when suddenly Roberto asks about Cannonball and asks Dani if she wants to go and get him back to Earth.

We skip directly to The Starjammer. The New Mutants and the pirate crew are headed to the Shi'ar space. Corsair will only bring them to Chandilar though, getting back to Krakoa is completely up to them. Roberto says they've got enough money to get back by themselves (loved this).

Mondo and Doug are in the Garden inside the Starjammer, and Doug is carrying a second Krakoan Flower (probably linked back to Krakoa, for their trip back to Earth). Turns out Krakoan gates and flowers can communicate with each other and the Krakoan Gate planted in the Starjammer biome is starting to talk with the Flower they're carrying because they want to terraform the ship. This is causing everything in the Biome to die, so Doug decides to put the flower inside of Mondo (now in his dirt form) so that the communication stops and the biome is now safe. All worked out.

They take 7 days to reach Benevolence, a space station on the edge of Shi'ar space. Before they land, we see the scene from the preview with Illyana and Raza figthing. There's a data page with the Starjammers crimes (lol) and the explanation of what Benevolence is (temporary repository for dangerous and exotic material... like a mutant flower for example). Corsair gives them a prep talk: they're conducting pirate business on Benevolence, so the mutants are to remain on the ship and not interfere. Rahne and Jono want to go and stretch their legs, but Corsair explains that the station is currently owned by a sort of religious leader that they should all be scared of. There's a nice talk about sinning that connects to Rahne's resurrection and talk with Karma: whoever sins on Benevolence can't leave the station. They're torturing innocent people and this makes the mutant crew quite annoyed.

Roberto agrees to not leaving and goes take a bottle of bourbon... and Dani asks Illyana to teleport them on the ship and free the prisoners of the religious cult. The group minus Roberto teleports on Benevolence and steals some kind of egg when the Starjammers find them. Apparently that's a particularly precious item and the cult talk was fake, it was just to have the New Mutants stay on the ship (but it worked the opposite way lol). They try to escape before the Shi'ar find out they are stealing that egg, when Illyana gets shot.

They start to fight against the Shi'ar and the Starjammers (quite pissed off they didn't obey) leave them there and escape. There's a cool Chamber panel when he blasts the Shi'ar guards.

Roberto on the ship finds out about what is going on and asks Corsair to go back and save his friends, but they say "Nah, bye" and leave him on the space station.

Roberto drinks the bourbon he won during the Raza/Magik match and...looks at the camera in a very "The Office" day and says it's time for him to save the day.

10/10 I loved this and I'm completely biased since I love this characters. Let's discuss!
    Last edited by Veitha; 11-06-2019 at 07:07 AM.

This issue for me was better than expected. It's a little slower and doesnt go in depth into Krakoa. BUT it was charming AF and had me smiling a lot.
    The art was GREAT. Characterizations didnt seem off to me but I was never really a New Mutants fan. I liked the interactions amongst the team. They came off awesome here.
    Some interesting cameos. And I cannot wait to see where this goes. I just want to know what was Hickman and what was Brisson. Great intro issue for me even if it was as exciting or dramatic as the other DoX series.

BANNED

“Human ideologies and institutions were never built for something better.” - Dani Moonstar

BANNED

This was a great read. Loved the beginning with Rahne and the dialogue between Dani and Beto. The humor moments were great and it was good seeing the Akademos habitat finally.

Corsair finally acting like a pirate was great and fitting. The New Mutants aren't Cyclops, so I don't think he would go out of his way for them. Mondo's role was pretty interesting. I'm curious to see the next steps on Doug's studies about Krakoa.

The art is great. I'm loving this current Reis.

9.5/10. The obligatory Glob cameo took a bit out of the final score.

BANNED

This might be the best #1 out of the bunch. Roberto as mutant Ferris Bueller is my fave. And a huge shoutout to the colorist, finally some good melanin in my comics.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Waiting for the Silver Fang comment.
    "Cable was right!"

Please don't create a thread with nothing to say just to edit it later. If you aren't ready for your review/spoiler summary then let someone else do it. Thanks!

Mighty Member

I really liked this issue, my only niggle, and it's not really a new mutants thing as much as it's a comic thing in general.

I really hate the "Character who can solve the problem is about to solve the probl... oh no! Somebody attacked them out of nowhere and they're now incapacitated." thing.

It just feels so contrived every time it happens.

Beautiful simply beautiful. The Storm/Rahne scene, short but so tender and sweet. Krakoa is simply STUNNING, just beautiful. I love the running gag that mutants are addicted to coffee, i don't know why but it makes so much sense to me that mutants would be caffeine junkies given mutant metabolism et all. I wasn't sure what to expect but i smiled so much and felt a genuine warmness while reading this. I didn't read the initial new mutants run but here you really didn't need to and its a perfect jumping on point. The data pages in this are hands down my fave. I was dying laughing at the galatic lawyer ad. I am just so happy to be living in a time where the x-brand is this amazing. 11/10
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    This was a great read. Loved the beginning with Rahne and the dialogue between Dani and Beto. The humor moments were great and it was good seeing the Akademos habitat finally.

Corsair finally acting like a pirate was great and fitting. The New Mutants aren't Cyclops, so I don't think he would go out of his way for them. Mondo's role was pretty interesting. I'm curious to see the next steps on Doug's studies about Krakoa.

The art is great. I'm loving this current Reis.

9.5/10. The obligatory Glob cameo took a bit out of the final score.
    Corsair is a pirate and it is also the logical thing to do. His crew can't resurrect, the New Mutants can. It makes no sense to sacrifice your life for them.

I loved loved loved the first half in Krakoa. The space stuff not so much. Not because it's bad, but I don't care about the X-Men in Space/Shi'ar concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I really liked this issue, my only niggle, and it's not really a new mutants thing as much as it's a comic thing in general.

I really hate the "Character who can solve the problem is about to solve the probl... oh no! Somebody attacked them out of nowhere and they're now incapacitated." thing.

It just feels so contrived every time it happens.
    Spoiler-tag-splanation of thing/niggle?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    spoilers:
    It's revealed that Corsair and company were lying about a heist they were performing to the new Mutants. They went in expecting to fight an Alien torture cult only to discover they were at a Shi'ar base. Magik was about to port them out and back to the ship when WHOOPS Off screen stun laser drops her. Now they're surrounded with no means of escape.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    spoilers:
    Magik is about to teleport the gang out of a space station but she gets shot by a bunch of Shi’ar troopers.
    end of spoilers

oooh okay so the "incident" was much more coincidental and fortuitous for the enemy rather than specifically targeted to prevent action.

Got it.