Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Yeah, that's a fair point too; casual conversation does not seem to be Hickman's fortè...Got the same vibe in X-Men #1 when people were crowding around Magneto saying "Tell us how you defeated the humans!"

Like, there's gotta be ways of saying the same thing without making it sound so sinister? "What was it like??" "What did they do??" "Did you win??" something like that?
    I noticed this too. Sometimes seems like they are bots speaking some pre-defined script on twitter LOL

Need to polish his dialogs, I don't think it was suppossed to be robotic

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

The dialogue, and character interactions, are what made this such a strong issue IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I can believe it and I love that they did it! Corsair did them a favor, then told them to stay on the damn ship so they didn't screw up his super secret pirate business (though really, he should have guessed his... ahem... embellishment would fire up the hero in some of the group). They got themselves into that mess, they can get themselves out it.
    True lol. At least Berto got to take the bourbon with him!

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    3 weeks. Next issue comes out November 27.
    May Yana find the Krakoan Starbucks and make out dreams come true

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    It's the connotations the language makes; it's phrased a bit stiff and militantly/nationalistic and, therefore, can draw up some negative connotations for some readers, depending on the experience they've had with the language. When it comes from Magneto, for example, it does sound supremacist because that man has had no problem sending entire waves of humans into a furnace. Because we haven't exactly seen him be checked yet, and with such an emphasis on mutants differentiating themselves from humans, y'know. It's an understandable conclusion. If ever we get official in-dialogue confirmation on where characters stand in relation to this then it'll stop, until then, it's just gonna always be a point of contention, I guess.

That or we just need clearer/better phrasing.
    Well, it doesn't come from Magneto, so we know it isn't supremacist talk, unless you can provide evidence that it is in this case. The phrasing is just what anyone fed up with the state we brought the world to, thanks to capitalism, would say. I can understand having that opinion about Scott or Storm's dialogue in X-Men #1. Disagree completely, but understand. This here is just a general critic that any human can express. Is criticizing humanity now supremacist talk in favor of Homo superior?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Well, it doesn't come from Magneto, so we know it isn't supremacist talk, unless you can provide evidence that it is in this case. The phrasing is just what anyone fed up with the state we brought the world to, thanks to capitalism, would say. I can understand having that opinion about Scott or Storm's dialogue in X-Men #1. Disagree completely, but understand. This here is just a general critic that any human can express. Is criticizing humanity now supremacist talk in favor of Homo superior?
    Hey, it just comes across like that to some people; maybe it is the phrasing though because, to be honest, I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk like that if they're supposed to be speaking casually. It sounds a little bit...nation-state-ish? Or the kind of casual dialogue you'd expect to hear in that kind of novel, not so much from characters like Dani and Roberto. There's gotta be a better way of getting it across, I guess is what I'm trying to say. But then, these two characters you wouldn't really expect to criticise humanity in such a generalised way anyway, not without some kind of on-panel explanation.

I guess there's just a disconnect between how we expect some of these characters to broach the topic and how they're being written. Plus Magneto didn't exactly cast a positive outlook for human-mutant relations anyway in HOX/POX. Like, ya know how you can hear something from someone and then have similar phrasing tainted no matter context? I think that's what might have happened here; they might not mean it so aggressively, but it still kind of reminds you of bad vibes? I've had some fears alleviated in Excalibur by seeing Betsy and Brian and even Jaimie; two very different points of view from one family, but not so much in cases like this where it's being written as one giant rhetoric? Like yeah, this dialogue sounded more supremacist than Jaimie's. How people seem to talk is as important as what they're trying to say; the stiffness behind it is a bit...eh...can't say what they're thinking about humanity for sure...

Like, we just need some kind of on-panel clarification of where the hell everyone stands, what different things mean for different mutants, ect. Once or even if those viewpoints start coming together it'll probably make for a more nuanced picture, I hope? Right now though...supremacist vibes from the dialogue, personally.
    Last edited by Domino_Dare-Doll; 11-06-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The space lawyer thing cracked me up. Very good use of Al Ewing's continuity. This book has a very different tone from X-Men. I don't know if that's Brisson or Hickman. Hickman certainly has love for these characters since he used Bobby and Sam in his Avengers run. The characterization didn't feel spot on to me, but everyone was distinct and pretty close to what they should be. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

The book is not for me.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Amazing book. Amazing art, great writing.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Nice i give this 2 Rick James thumbs up. Thought the pencils and colors gave the book a nice look that went well with how the story was told. Great to see some of the other students and Hellions.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Anyone know how long Hickman is supposed to write New Mutants?

I know when he did Avengers he wrote Avengers World for a bit, I'm curious if I should trade wait or go issue by issue

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post

I know when he did Avengers he wrote Avengers World for a bit, I'm curious if I should trade wait or go issue by issue
    at least the first arc. He will be doing some writing on the other books as well

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post

He’s writing #1, 2, 5 and probably 7. Then he’s gone.

This is how you write an ensemble cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    He’s writing #1, 2, 5 and probably 7. Then he’s gone.
    I think the plan is write 5 or 6 issues

Chamber has always been a low-key fave, but I found him downright boring here.

Luckily, Mondo is super interesting.

Oh -- and the St Croix twins, each in Penance form?! I really hope we see more of them. And if not -- still a great little wink for fans.

-Pav, who can't believe how good all the X-titles are...
    Last edited by Pav; 11-06-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details