Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why are male X-Men allowed to be fat but female X-Men aren't?

There's Mondo, Goldballs, even Glob Herman in this week's New Mutants looked a bit husky. But to my knowledge there has never been an actual (heroic) overweight female X-Men character. Why is that? Why are men held to a different standard and allowed to be overweight (or obese) but women are always slender unless they're villainous (ie. Pink Pearl, Thumbelina, Briquette, and Gatecrasher)?

Isn't it time for a big girl to join the X-Men?

Let's discuss!

The answer is obvious: Sexism.

Men can be fat, they can be clumsy, they can be funny, they can be ugly. Women in comics (and in movies, series ...) are much more restricted.

I mean, there just aren't many overweight heroes in comics at all. And when there are they're usually comic relief or charicatures or meant to be gross. I don't think there's even that much of a double standard(though there's a a bit of it), it's more just like... Fat people not being decipted in general.

I'm suuuuuper curious to know what folks like Glob looked like prior to his physical mutation manifestation.

That's my contribution to the discussion.
    Same with Santo & Victor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I mean, there just aren't many overweight heroes in comics at all. And when there are they're usually comic relief or charicatures or meant to be gross. I don't think there's even that much of a double standard(though there's a a bit of it), it's more just like... Fat people not being decipted in general.
    Maybe men are just lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I'm suuuuuper curious to know what folks like Glob looked like prior to his physical mutation manifestation.

That's my contribution to the discussion.
    Same with Santo & Victor.
    Yeah, "monstrous mutants" are almost always men.

Except like I pointed out, there are 3 fat dudes in the X-Men and 0 fat ladies. That's definitely a double standard.

the men shouldn't be fat. Mondo's look changes a lot (i've seen him depicted with a muscular build). and he's samoan. Glob Herman isn't fat. he's mostly bones. Egg is pregnant. but i'll support you if your goal is to throw the fat dudes off the team.

let's all pretend that skinny males aren't discriminated against. Cyclops used to be slim. now he's all abs and broad shoulders. Barnell Bohusk suddenly became a stud after being depowered. most of the skinny males wind up as villains unless they simply haven't hit puberty (like Sam Guthrie before he filled in).
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 11-06-2019 at 07:15 AM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Angel Salvatore was a kind of chubby 161819-157355-angel-salvadore.JPG
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    The answer is obvious: Sexism.

Men can be fat, they can be clumsy, they can be funny, they can be ugly. Women in comics (and in movies, series ...) are much more restricted.
    Rachel Summers is quite homely and has a lackluster personality. hasn't hurt her popularity. same with that little girl who looks like Cassandra Nova wearing a wig.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Except like I pointed out, there are 3 fat dudes in the X-Men and 0 fat ladies. That's definitely a double standard.
    That's a very small number and those are some random obscure characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    the men shouldn't be fat. Mondo's look changes a lot (i've seen him depicted with a muscular build). and he's samoan. but i'll support you if your goal is to throw the fat dudes off the team.
    Yas, it's all or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I knew someone would bring her up. She might have been chubby in her first appearance but they significantly shrunk her down after that.

That's a very small number and those are some random obscure characters.
    Wat.

Mondo is currently starring as a series regular in New Mutants.

Goldballs is part of the Five which is a huge part of Dawn of X.

Glob Herman has been a major recurring mutant with over 150 issue credits to his name.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    There's a difference between chubby and fat. And even Angel didn't stay chubby for long. She's later shown to be quite conventionally attractive.

And to be fair, I do think that fat and chubby women can be sort of hard for wome artists to draw. It isn't what they're used to or trained for. It is still rather annoying that we don't have any fat or chubby women whonstay that way for long.

BANNED

Given the highly-active lifestyles superheroes lead it frankly makes sense that you're not going to see many overweight heroes, unless it's explicitly part of their power set/mutation/etc. Fighting supervillains burns a lot of calories.

BANNED

Angel wasn’t just shown as conventional. She got turned into a bombshell. This 100% stems back to the institutionalized objectification of women in comics.