Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    There are certainly more "pin-ups guys" today than before…
    Before, in a group of super-heroes (or heroes), there was the Stong one (or the Brave one), the Clever one, the Strange one (there were all male)… and the Girl. There wasn't much room for variety: she had to possess all the qualities (and the flaws) a girl was expected to have. And most of readers were male then…
    Now, the situation is much better, the women are less stereotypical, there are more of them in the group. But… all right, it's not ideal: no good girl that is not also sexy in comics. Tank girl? You will say she's sexy…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Statistically women are less likely to be fat than men
    actually no

In males, mean percentage body fat ranged from 22.9% at age 16–19 years to 30.9% at age 60–79 years. In females, mean percentage body fat ranged from 32.0% at age 8–11 years to 42.4% at age 60–79 years.

In 1997 the WHO formally recognized obesity as a global epidemic.As of 2008 the WHO estimates that at least 500 million adults (greater than 10%) are obese, with higher rates among women than men. The percentage of adults affected in the United States as of 2015–2016 is about 39.6% overall (37.9% of males and 41.1% of females).

stop overeating

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Emma Frost is chubby too:

werk
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Emma Frost is chubby too:

werk
    First. LMAO. that made me laugh.

But from an art point of view this image makes me realize another reason why it might not be done much. That's a lot of panel space especially in a team book. If you have a team with 6 or 7 characters it could be difficult with someone taking up that much blank space consistently if you want to potray the size differences with a consistent level of accuracy.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    There's Mondo, Goldballs, even Glob Herman in this week's New Mutants looked a bit husky. But to my knowledge there has never been an actual (heroic) overweight female X-Men character. Why is that? Why are men held to a different standard and allowed to be overweight (or obese) but women are always slender unless they're villainous (ie. Pink Pearl, Thumbelina, Briquette, and Gatecrasher)?

Isn't it time for a big girl to join the X-Men?

Let's discuss!
    Mondo, Goldballs and Glob are D-listers though. Its not like there is much overweight representation for many characters of actual significance. Glob himself started out as a villain and Mondo was intended to be one as well

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    First. LMAO. that made me laugh.

But from an art point of view this image makes me realize another reason why it might not be done much. That's a lot of panel space especially in a team book. If you have a team with 6 or 7 characters it could be difficult with someone taking up that much blank space consistently if you want to potray the size differences with a consistent level of accuracy.
    I couldnt resist lolol.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    actually no

In males, mean percentage body fat ranged from 22.9% at age 16–19 years to 30.9% at age 60–79 years. In females, mean percentage body fat ranged from 32.0% at age 8–11 years to 42.4% at age 60–79 years.

In 1997 the WHO formally recognized obesity as a global epidemic.As of 2008 the WHO estimates that at least 500 million adults (greater than 10%) are obese, with higher rates among women than men. The percentage of adults affected in the United States as of 2015–2016 is about 39.6% overall (37.9% of males and 41.1% of females).
    Americans y? Ease off the Popeye's.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    actually no

stop overeating

Ahaha, I'm pretty sure it was an American woman who told me that men are much fatter. She's probably in denial, poor dear. Get your **** together, US!

BANNED

It's rather silly to think or expect that male and female bodies would be objectified in the same exact ways.

It is, of course, fine and fair to be upset with how either form is objectified, but that doesn't change that both are objectified.*

*again, in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    weird is subjective. a lot of Spider-man's poses are "weird." do you have an example of a current x-cover that overly sexualizes female characters? and are people attracted to men in "weird poses?" i think that we'd see more of that, if people were. usually, the focus is on their biceps, chest, and package. although there is a lot of attention given to Captain America's butt in the cinematic universe for some reason.

This cover is from 2004, it is a well known pose but I don't see the penciller trying to make it super sexy and exploitative.
    There is many covers sexualizing female characters, anyone can google and see it

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    This cover is from 2004, it is a well known pose but I don't see the penciller trying to make it super sexy and exploitative.
    There is many covers sexualizing female characters, anyone can google and see it
    I felt Bishop was objectified in Sina Grace's iceman solo and i remember mentioning it at the time. His poses in that book were to make the "myth" about black men jump off the page.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

you mean straight men have the powerhouse fantasy. Majority of comics are done by straight men
    I suspect the majority of comicbook READERS are also straight men - knowing who your target audience and how to market to them is hardly a bad idea.

iceman16.jpg

like in this image.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    iceman16.jpg

like in this image.
    smh. assaults on all sides. damn shame.

BANNED

Yeah, that's nowhere near the same level of exploitive a female character would get.

For one, on female characters, they always seem to see how much titilation they can get away with. Take Kwannon on the new Fallen Angels cover, or hell, Psylocke's whole visual history: notice how high her leotard seems to ride up her rear? Or even how thin the line of it always seems to be drawn over her groin, like it's always in danger of revealing a 'slip' of some kind. But actual leotards? At least, the one's used for sports like ice-skating (that I pretty much live in actually,) they don't do that; they're shaped and sewn to gather around the legs as much as possible. Additionally, spandex does not reveal the lines of your abs or navel, nor does it suction-cup your chest like you've been vacuum-sealed in. You see where ribs and hip-bones stick out, but that's about it.

Contrast all that to here: Logan's wearing jeans, take a lot of definition away from any of the 'sexier' parts--in fact, great pains seem to have been taken to even protect him from seeming too exposed. The clothing isn't torn below the lower body, as it might be on a female figure and what skin is exposed is just generally considered to be acceptable, even ideal for male models.

Exploitation of an equal measure would be, for one, a more exploitive pose showcasing perhaps the groin with the lower half of his clothing being drawn as if it were just about to give for an 'accidental' reveal of some kind.