Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by T'Challa Bruce Von Doom View Post
    Pure telepaths are SOL when they face someone who has telepathic shielding, because they have absolutely no physical defense. Their defense consists entirely on being able to telepathically stop anyone from attacking them before they can do it. That's the problem with being entirely dependent on powers.
    Except Xavier has years of military training in tactics, hand-to-hand combat, and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Except Xavier has years of military training in tactics, hand-to-hand combat, and firearms.
    All of which, even if true, does nothing against a bullet to the brain, as was shown. He was a guy in a suit targeted by mercenaries whose mission was to kill him.

The only thing superhuman about him is his telepathy. He isn't bulletproof, doesn't have a healing factor.

Which brings me back to my point. Psychics who are also telekinetics have a physical defense. Psychics who are only telepaths do not.
    Protex: “Tronix! Fluxus! What’s happening there? Zenturion? He’s only one man!”
    Superman: “The most… uh… dangerous man on earth…”
    — Superman on Batman, JLA #3 (Mar. 1997)

“He’s the most dangerous man alive in any comic universe.” — Wizard Magazine on Doctor Doom (Nov. 1998)

“[He’s] the most dangerous man in the Marvel universe, because his greatest weapon is the way he thinks and plans, his tremendous intellect.” — Tom Brevoort on T’Challa (Sep. 2010)

All of which does nothing against a bullet to the brain, as was shown.

The only thing superhuman about him is his telepathy. He isn't bulletproof, doesn't have a healing factor.

Which brings me back to my point. Psychics who are also telekinetics have a physical defense. Psychics who are only telepaths do not.
    I mean, that really only applies to Xavier. Emma and the Cuckoos are the only other telepaths without telekinesis, but they can defend themselves just fine.

BANNED

Xavier used telekinesis in HoX.

I mean, that really only applies to Xavier. Emma and the Cuckoos are the only other telepaths without telekinesis, but they can defend themselves just fine.
    In Marvel, the big-name psychics (notably sans Xavier and Frost) have typically had telepathy, telekinesis and pretty much every psychic power there is.

But Frost, though she isn't also telekinetic, was eventually given a physical defense, though come to think of it I haven't seen her use it yet in this relaunch unless I missed or am forgetting something.
    Protex: “Tronix! Fluxus! What’s happening there? Zenturion? He’s only one man!”
    Superman: “The most… uh… dangerous man on earth…”
    — Superman on Batman, JLA #3 (Mar. 1997)

“He’s the most dangerous man alive in any comic universe.” — Wizard Magazine on Doctor Doom (Nov. 1998)

“[He’s] the most dangerous man in the Marvel universe, because his greatest weapon is the way he thinks and plans, his tremendous intellect.” — Tom Brevoort on T’Challa (Sep. 2010)

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I hate how nerfed telepathy has gotten in recent years. I really despise that.

Sure it is potentially overpowered but it was a big part of X-lore and now because of the popularity of Avengers in the movies we have to make them able to just nullify telepathy so easily.

Ugh
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post

Sure it is potentially overpowered but it was a big part of X-lore and now because of the popularity of Avengers in the movies we have to make them able to just nullify telepathy so easily.

Ugh
    Counterpoint - telepathy was originally the ability to communicate mind-to-mind or scan surface thoughts (doubtless inspired by rumours of MK Ultra), but very quickly turned into any telepath being able to completely mentally dominate groups of people, steal any thought and edit memories. Basically god mode. Lord Claremont tried to fix this to an extent with the New Mutants, but the Jeanie (chortle) was already out of the bottle.

Ugh
    TP is the wackest power in fiction and it's only interesting for engagements if it's TP vs TP. Nerf it more I say. Get Xavier a gat to protect himself.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Wait doesn’t this erase the theory that Xavier’s just been controlling everyone? This was probably discussed before but everyone would’ve snapped out of their hivemind cultist mindset if Xavier got killed right? Can we finally bury that cynicism and replace it with good old fashioned hope?

And has he been practicing that? Like at all? Having training under your belt is cool, but if he doesn't practice, then his skills are gonna become much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Wait doesn’t this erase the theory that Xavier’s just been controlling everyone? This was probably discussed before but everyone would’ve snapped out of their hivemind cultist mindset if Xavier got killed right? Can we finally bury that cynicism and replace it with good old fashioned hope?
    Maybe the brainwashing was one of those kinds where he just slowy suggests actions which they followed, and now they're just doing 'em out of habit, thus, whether he's alive or not makes no difference

Either way, on second read, I noticed they were more clever with what the plan, since Domino's signal came back when the soldiers were falling, so it made Krakoa people think it was her.

Of course, it makes little sense once you consider her signal is back only when she's falling and the only one suspecting this is Black Tom, instead of, anyone with half a brain, unless once the signal is cut off, it only really returns if you're back on Krakoa? I dunno lol.

All of which, even if true, does nothing against a bullet to the brain, as was shown. He was a guy in a suit targeted by mercenaries whose mission was to kill him.

Xavier used to have a firearm on him at all time to avoid his brain from being hijacked and, as a side role, for personal protection.

My point being, the man was NEVER shown to be this level of naive nor careless with both his protection and protection of the others.

He wasn't a stupid character.

But in this issue? Good grief, was he acting stupid.
    Like, he doesn't realize he's ruling a country, not a school for teenager anymore.
    Responsibilities, awareness, preparedness, are heavier now and much more crucial than they ever were before for him... not less.
    He took mutantkind to the next level, but don't seem to have level-up himself in that #1 issue of X-Force, whereas Hickman spent months showing us that the man is more shrewd and determined and cunning than he ever was.

That's part why I think the writing is subpar here, it's already ignoring parts of Hickman set-up and rely on PIS to get the story where it needs to be. Issue #1, not #6 or #10... but #1.
    It's jarring.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Lack of preparedness and absence of preparedness are two différent things.
    The latter is what occured here, and is what feels absurd for a nation able to send commandos fight on Space stations in deep Space.
    Zero defenders were shown on those pages.
    That is not what we saw in the conic. It went out of its way to show the preparations and how they were carefully sidestepped. At least read and acknowledge the comic’s contents and context before criticising it.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-08-2019 at 04:50 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Maybe Domino survived by the skin of her teeth.

Shes very thin skinned

Those reavers went skinny dipping
    I rest my case!
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Also, again, no nation in the world, old or new, allows it's head of government to travel to another nation, specially an hostile one, without a single bodyguard.
    Because no nation in the real world can resurrect their leader. That was a show of strength. It still will be.

Honestly I don’t have the stamina to keep pointing out the obvious. If you honestly think politicians don’t live with the possibility of assassination daily you are deluding yourself. No defence can stop this. It has happened throughout the whole of history. The main reason it doesn’t happen all the time is not because nations have impenetrable defences, or perfect intelligence, it is because assassinations are a blunt tool that creates martyrs and therefore are not as effective as other forms of attack.

Xavier even tries to point out the pointlessness of his assassination to his would be assassin.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-08-2019 at 12:46 AM.

Ugh
    Or just maybe, like the mission creep with Omega mutants, telepathy has been over used and became overpowered. I really dont have a problem with it.