Thread: The 1991 arcade

Default The 1991 arcade

I have been playing the arcade game from 1991, that one where you could play as Spider-Man, Black Cat, Hawkeye or Namor. It was a bit weird to play with Spider-Man simply walking around there, and hardly ever swinging...

There's a part I did not understand. The game starts as a beat 'em up game, and Venom is the boss of the first level. Once defeated, some rotating thing gets on him and he becomes a giant (a two stories high giant), and the game turns into a Mario Bros for the perspective. This rotating thing leaves Venom when defeated as a giant, and the game goes back to normal. When I find him again, Kingpin says "It would seem that the effects of the Sorcerer Stone have worn off" and leaves me to fight Venom yet again. Hm, the what? What is a "Sorcerer stone" and what does it do?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    I have been playing the arcade game from 1991, that one where you could play as Spider-Man, Black Cat, Hawkeye or Namor. It was a bit weird to play with Spider-Man simply walking around there, and hardly ever swinging...

There's a part I did not understand. The game starts as a beat 'em up game, and Venom is the boss of the first level. Once defeated, some rotating thing gets on him and he becomes a giant (a two stories high giant), and the game turns into a Mario Bros for the perspective. This rotating thing leaves Venom when defeated as a giant, and the game goes back to normal. When I find him again, Kingpin says "It would seem that the effects of the Sorcerer Stone have worn off" and leaves me to fight Venom yet again. Hm, the what? What is a "Sorcerer stone" and what does it do?
    It's just a game.

The stone was made up specifically to give the game a story.

First three or so levels - Kingpin's pursuit of the "Sorcerer Stone", presumably give him great power, as we all know, Kingpin'll grab anything he can hold with his fat fingers with to gain greater power.

After beating him - Doctor Doom - being the greater egotistical superiority over Kingpin - takes the stone for himself - off to Latveria to beat him as well.

Astonishing Member

Are you REALLY asking for story logic from a 30 year old arcade quarter plunker....?

I remember playing that game at an arcade years ago. It was fun for a while, but it got old fast. I often played it while waiting for the Street Fighter II machine to clear up.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Incredible Member

My first memory of the game - entrance section, Walmart. My mom gave me just one quarter to go nuts at it. Beaten Scorpion. Beaten by Venom, second round-a-go against him.

Second memory - Max & Erma's. Beaten Scorpion, Venom, Lizard, Electro, but missed appetizers, rest of my family downed it, my meal came after beating Electro, before going any further.