Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Cool The Fastest Kid Alive: Wallace West, Kid Flash Appreciation Thread [REDUX]

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

WE BACK BABY!! This thread is in appreciation of and for discussion about Wallace West, the Kid Flash. If you are interested in, curious about, or simply like and appreciate Wallace and would like to talk about the character with like minded individuals; you've come to the right place my friend. For those that do not like or care about the character, please be respectful and only comment with an open mind. Maybe your view can change. If you have no intention of respecting the character, respectfully go elsewhere for that or create your own thread (don't be a drag).

Wallace has come a long way. He's gained power from his future alternative version of himself, fought (with Barry) Godspeed, joined the Teen Titans, got kicked off Teen Titans, learned about Flashpoint, met his time-displaced cousin, was mentored by Deathstroke (and beat the brakes off him), and now is once again part of the Teen Titans. The Kid's been around and deserves some love.

Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-06-2019 at 11:28 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Love him on the TV show, particularly his developing relationship with his estranged dad; Detective Joe West. It probably helped how much I liked Jesse L. Martin on that show, who they really need to bring back to the focus.
    Also liked the kid (Keiynan Lonsdale) who played Wally.
    If this is the same character, Honestly don't know, haven't followed him in the comic, but would love to read about this Father & Son as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Love him on the TV show, particularly his developing relationship with his estranged dad; Detective Joe West. It probably helped how much I liked Jesse L. Martin on that show, who they really need to bring back to the focus.
    If this is the same character, Honestly don't know, haven't followed him in the comic, but would love to read about this Father & Son as a team.
    Unfortunately, the CW version and the comic version are significantly different but I'm not entirely sure if i'd say if that's a good thing or a bad thing honestly. He's biracial in the comics* (black mom white dad), older in the show, and his father is/was a villain. So unfortunately you won't get to see that relationship on the page but he's still pretty interesting, he's still coming of age and, when under the right pen, he's a really fun character. My favorite iteration of the character was when he was part of Deathstroke's team under Christopher Priest. Adam Glass has a pretty solid voice for the character in the current Teen Titans book too.

*it's kinda funny because the actor is biracial in the show but the character is fully black
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Trying to like this character is a slow burn for me but I'm warming up to him a little. I do like how he is written after he left the Flash books. I like his relationship with Roundhouse a lot. He really needed a close friend.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

There's potential to be had with Wallace. I did wonder if they were going to have Wally mentor Wallace as Barry did to him since he both himself was taught by Barry but was also Kid Flash. It'd give Wally something to do (that isn't die over and over) and help build a new generation of Flash family using two characters fans seem to pit against each other like some Coke v. Pepsi argument.

Much like Tim Drake, however, I think that DC is struggling to find a way to make Wallace work. I'm not reading Teen Titans (primarily because I can't stand Damian Wayne), so while maybe the code's been cracked there, I do feel separating him from the Flash family (much as Robin has been from Batman) will lead to a long life for the character. Pre-Flashpoint, Wally united a lot of speedsters and built what we now know as the Flash family. Maybe Wallace should be the glue that pulls them together post-Flashpoint? I think Wally is key here.

BANNED

I love Wallace and the fact that unlike allot of marvel forced for diversity points characters he feels like a well developed character and it took him years before becoming kid flash now I wonder how his place in the DC universe will be with Bart back and having two young speedsters

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    As far as the comics go, Wally West is the Flash I prefer (would much rather have him as Flash and Barry still gone after the COIE). When I saw that they were going to have 2 Wally's in the comics I thought it was pretty stupid.
    As for the TV show... I absolutely LOVE that version of Wally! I think he and Joe are probably my 2 favorite characters on the series. I love both of the actors and their interactions together.

How do you guys feel about Wallace having a relationship with Red Arrow? It looks like they might be moving in that direction in Teen Titans. Do you like the idea? Do you think I'll last? I like it, it's very reminiscent of Wally and Artemis on Young Justice which I loved and wouldn't mind this being DC's way of playing to that dynamic in-continuity.

Speaking of, this would be the second deadly killer ninja Wallace has cozied up to. It makes me think maybe he could do more black ops type work. Maybe, if they ever wanted to move him away from Teen Titans, they could take him and Red Arrow to Outsiders.

currently following:

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    How do you guys feel about Wallace having a relationship with Red Arrow? It looks like they might be moving in that direction in Teen Titans. Do you like the idea? Do you think I'll last? I like it, it's very reminiscent of Wally and Artemis on Young Justice which I loved and wouldn't mind this being DC's way of playing to that dynamic in-continuity.

Speaking of, this would be the second deadly killer ninja Wallace has cozied up to. It makes me think maybe he could do more black ops type work. Maybe, if they ever wanted to move him away from Teen Titans, they could take him and Red Arrow to Outsiders.
    Having now had a chance to read TEEN TITANS #29 I can see what your referring to and I don't hate the idea of Red Arrow and Wallace developing a relationship. Its not something I've been clamouring for but I do think it could be fun. I see what you mean about it being reminiscient of Wally and Artemis from the TV show.

As to what to do with Wallace if he ever leaves the Teen Titans, I really enjoyed his role on Team Defiance (Deathstroke's old team) so I wouldn't mind seeing him do something Black Ops, I'm not sure if he'd work better solo or in a black ops team

I do like a LOT your idea of Emiko joining the Outsiders if the current Teen TITANS ends (if it does end, I'd like to see Crush, Emiko Wallace and Damian appear soemwhere else and of course Damian's not a worry with his links to the Bat-family)

I'm not really a fan of him and Emiko as I preferred him and Tanya back in Deathstroke.

I rather just see him get a solo than join another a team book. I'm not against him on a team book but as a teen character, there aren't many options. Plus whatever options we do have feel full or they don't need him specifically.

Spectacular Member Grandmaster_J's Avatar

I would love to see Wallace get maybe a mini solo series, with about 12 issues or so. I also would love to see his future self again.

I'm not against him becoming closer to Emi either though it worries mainly because what if it ends abruptly like the last two? Both with Raven and Tanya those teams ended right when he hooked up with them. Having not being able to see them together, and it doesn't look like Tanya's ever going to get out of that dimension any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster_J View Post
    I would love to see Wallace get maybe a mini solo series, with about 12 issues or so. I also would love to see his future self again.

I'm not against him becoming closer to Emi either though it worries mainly because what if it ends abruptly like the last two? Both with Raven and Tanya those teams ended right when he hooked up with them. Having not being able to see them together, and it doesn't look like Tanya's ever going to get out of that dimension any time soon.
    I would also like to see a future Wallace, considering with all the time travel/cosmic shenanigans it'll probably be a different future Wallace. They have a lot they could play with there. As for the apprehension about Emiko and Wallace, you raise a good point but I think they are introducing the romance early enough that they can ring something interesting out of it before they get the chance to kibosh it. The latest TT roster appear to be sticking around for a little while so if they don't drag out the will-they-won't-they it'll be about to grow (or die out) organically.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 05-16-2019 at 08:49 AM.

currently following:

Default Wallace in Teen Titans #30

currently following:

Spectacular Member Grandmaster_J's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

Oh my gosh Crush is extremely annoying with her "crush" on Djinn so seeing Wallace throw her angry lesbian tail though the ground was such a breath of fresh air mainly because next to Djinn he's the most powerful on the team yet it's rarely shown.

Astonishing Member

Nice to see him taking charge!