Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    spoilers:
    Hope springs eternal.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Earth-1985 appeared in Doomsday Clock #12:

Hint at things to come?
    Does this mean Pre-COIE Earth-1 morphed into the post-COIE Earth?
    With the tweaks that Diana was a founding JL member and Kara never died, or at least wasn't wiped from continuity/replaced by Matrix and Linda?

BANNED

If there's changes to meta then Superman is affected to. So it's probably Byrne Superman with Kara and Wonderwoman not getting rebooted. It's a different take on post crisis.

The Earth 0 we have now again is closer to pre Flashpoint but not exactly the same.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Hal belongs in that lineup.. And no Martian Manhunter?
    MM was out of the comic for the vast bulk of the Satellite Era.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Does this mean Pre-COIE Earth-1 morphed into the post-COIE Earth?
    With the tweaks that Diana was a founding JL member and Kara never died, or at least wasn't wiped from continuity/replaced by Matrix and Linda?
    No, the way the metaverse works is when there's a notable event (Barry's origin, COIE, Flashpoint, and Rebirth), there's a split in the timeline. The new earth from the event becomes "Earth 1" and the previous version of that earth gets a new designation, i.e. "Earth 2," "Earth 1985," Presumably some 90s Earth, "Earth 52", and the current Earth 1. Not sure if 5G is the future of the current era with a new Earth 1 running alongside it, or if 5G is just the future of current Earth 1 without a split.

Time line:
    -The DC Universe is (re)born with Clark's arrival (Golden Age is Earth 1, supplanting some other Earths in which Clark was raised by Apes, Cavemen, etc.)
    -Barry Allen gets struck by lightning (Silver Age is now Earth 1 and Golden Age is Earth 2)
    -COIE happens (Post Crisis Earth becomes Earth 1; Silver and Bronze Ages become Earth 1985--said to be unexplored)
    -Flashpoint happens (New 52 becomes Earth 1; Post Crisis Earth becomes some un-named Earth)
    -Rebirth happens (Rebirth Universe becomes Earth 1; New 52 becomes Earth 52)

5G may be the future of Rebirth Universe or it may supplant it, but Rebirth hasn't been around long enough to have a distinct identity, so I think 5G is just the future of Rebirth.

If I misunderstand, please correct me.

DC just found a way to sell its old trades by making them relevant again. They can also continue to tell stories set in these eras with ongoing timelines. With an ongoing "1985" timeline pre-crisis Kara could've been revived in some characteristic silver or bronze age way.

Different eras can cross over, with the Golden Age crossing over with the 1985 universe, for example.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 12-18-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    spoilers:
    Hope springs eternal.
    end of spoilers
    Earth-1985 appeared in Doomsday Clock #12:

Hint at things to come?
    No, the way the metaverse works is when there's a notable event (Barry's origin, COIE, Flashpoint, and Rebirth), there's a split in the timeline. The new earth from the event becomes "Earth 1" and the previous version of that earth gets a new designation, i.e. "Earth 2," "Earth 1985," Presumably some 90s Earth, "Earth 52", and the current Earth 1. Not sure if 5G is the future of the current era with a new Earth 1 running alongside it, or if 5G is just the future of current Earth 1 without a split.

Time line:
    -The DC Universe is (re)born with Clark's arrival (Golden Age is Earth 1, supplanting some other Earths in which Clark was raised by Apes, Cavemen, etc.)
    -Barry Allen gets struck by lightning (Silver Age is now Earth 1 and Golden Age is Earth 2)
    -COIE happens (Post Crisis Earth becomes Earth 1; Silver and Bronze Ages become Earth 1985--said to be unexplored)
    -Flashpoint happens (New 52 becomes Earth 1; Post Crisis Earth becomes some un-named Earth)
    -Rebirth happens (Rebirth Universe becomes Earth 1; New 52 becomes Earth 52)

5G may be the future of Rebirth Universe or it may supplant it, but Rebirth hasn't been around long enough to have a distinct identity, so I think 5G is just the future of Rebirth.

If I misunderstand, please correct me.

DC just found a way to sell its old trades by making them relevant again. They can also continue to tell stories set in these eras with ongoing timelines. With an ongoing "1985" timeline pre-crisis Kara could've been revived in some characteristic silver or bronze age way.

Different eras can cross over, with the Golden Age crossing over with the 1985 universe, for example.
    Ah that makes a little more sense. Thanks for the break down.

I wonder if some of the Black Label content that is meant to have the iconic characters while the 5G stuff happens will utilize Earth-1985? It has all their main ones without too much continuity baggage, they are younger, not much legacy, etc. Basically all the stuff Didio goes against lol. This could potentially allow them to have their cake and eat it too.

BANNED

Earth 1985 sounds like the sequel to WW84.

So, basically Earth-1985 is 'Earth-1 if the Crisis hadn't happened'.
    I suspect that the split in the timeline probably happened when the Anti-Matter Energy Wave first started across the DCU.

This is good news.

Btw, the Earth-52 heroes look evil.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    So, basically Earth-1985 is 'Earth-1 if the Crisis hadn't happened'.
    I suspect that the split in the timeline probably happened when the Anti-Matter Energy Wave first started across the DCU.

This is good news.

Btw, the Earth-52 heroes look evil.
    It is good news. Apart from the diversity problem (discussed ad nauseam here already) this is something I've wanted since, well, 1985. I hated the CoIE retcon.

It also provides a payoff to the hourglasses on the back of DC Rebirth #1 which featured OG JSA and Satellite JLA (plus Cyborg for some reason)... I took those hourglasses as a tease of exactly what wound up happening, though I'd given up hoping for it about 2 years ago.

Earth-1985 was, far and away, my favorite part of D-Clock #12.