Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I think 5G is the wrong approach if diversity is the desired effect. Personally, I'm just tired of these compromises when it comes to diversity, and it's almost always gotta' be some compromise. It's like, "Okay, you get diversity, but you get a black Batman instead of your own thing." Miles Morales is cool, and I liked his movie, but my idea of Spider-Man is always going to be Peter Parker, and I'm perfectly fine with that. Instead of the idea of "everyone can be Spider-Man"...why not just give black people/Latin people/whoever their own characters that are as good or better than Spider-Man?

You say that, and everyone, from fans to professionals, seems to think what you said is just entirely impossible. It CAN'T be done. To that I say, "Hogwash!"

Somehow, these big corporations need to figure out how to get new and worthwhile properties off the ground. It might be difficult, but it's not impossible if you put the resources and talent behind them and make it worth the talent's while (meaning they have to learn to negotiate with them and get rid of these totally one sided deals). Either that, or they need to somehow transform the diverse characters they do have into main event characters.

Everything else, from putting a black man in a white man's suit, racebending white characters, and so on, are just compromises that divide fanbases, piss people off, and don't give people looking for diverse heroes EXACTLY what they want (I don't even think black Spider-Man is EXACTLY what they're looking for, even if they think it is).

Yes, Lee, Kirby, Ditko, Siegal and Shuster, and these people were definitely especially creative and talented individuals, but give me a break. It's not like creativity in the human race lessened or stopped with them. It is possible to make something better or as good. I don't think we need a black Batman. It's kind of embarrassing to me.

Well fortunately the comic book companies doesn't listen to ideas like this. If people want to prefer existing characters or original characters, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you can't understand the appeal that freakin Michael B Jordan went to DC to ask to play for Val Zod, Calvin Ellis, or specifically a black superman, or the fact that miles morales, a black/latino spider man, is the most popular new character to come from Marvel in the last decade, then you honestly don't know what folks from different walks of life want, and the fact that you try to speak for people who viewpoint are clearly different than yours not only illustrate the classic fan mentality I spoke about, but goes even further into straight up narcissism. To believe you actually know more than the fans who like miles morales and legacy characters themselves on what we're looking for in a superhero speaks volumes.
    Last edited by leo619; 12-08-2019 at 01:04 AM.