Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Why hasn't there ever been a revival of the Satellite Justice League

I think most DC readers would agree that the Satellite line-up was one of the best Justice League's we've ever had.

It seems strange that no writer has ever tackled putting those heroes (or the current representation of those heroes) together for a mini-series or storyline. The last attempt was Identity Crisis (although that was kind of a disaster, but still...).

The original Satellite era was too Justice League of America So White at its time, but that's kinda what Brad Meltzer tried to do several years ago with his run.

I'd be into it if they expanded the roster and editorial actually let relationships and issues happen between characters in the book and play out, regardless of what's happening in a character's own book. Sadly, those days are gone it seems because of the continuity they want to keep in a character's own title and the broader universe. It means we rarely get the interesting developments that should come from a group of characters like that forming a team and interacting with one another.

Mighty Member

I don't think readers of today would be interested in an All-White, All-Plain Justice League. Especially in a time where people are more vocal about this type of thing. Let's progress instead of going backwards.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    I don't think readers of today would be interested in an All-White, All-Plain Justice League. Especially in a time where people are more vocal about this type of thing. Let's progress instead of going backwards.
    I don't know, Justice by Jim Krueger and Alex Ross was pretty successful about 15 years ago. It wasn't in continuity even when it came out but readers seemed to respond to it pretty well.

I don’t think revisiting an all white all straight group from the 80’s is the best way to pull in fans. DC you is trying to move forward. I don’t have a problem with them having a headquarters in space though. Just make it work. Don’t do it out of nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    ...group from the 80’s
    FYI Satellite era began Justice League of America #78 (February 1970)
    And ended in the 80's with the intro of the Detroit League. (October 1984)

But yeah the point is never mind today, it was already glaringly problematic even back then in the 1970s, when Hanna Barbera licensed the Justice League as the Super Friends, DC shamefully only had white characters to offer them , HB aware of this problem, and wanting to better represent their audience had to quickly (and clumsily) come up with and create their own (although they re-purposed Black Lightning) characters, so they wouldn't have an all white Justice League team.
    It was already a problem even back then in 1977, it'd be even more of a problem today! LOL!

By the 80's by the time (Black Lightning in the Daily comic strips), Vixen, Vibe, and eventually Kimiyo Hoshi joined, the Satellite (had been destroyed) and that era had already ended.

I think it's fine to acknowledge and celebrate the founding members (who are all great characters!) , revisit for some mini series, or ongoing in elseworld like Ross', but the main U doesn't need to go there again.

Or if they do want to celebrate it, make sure you update them some, if possible with characters actually around or chronology appearing following that era.
    One of the easiest is GL rotating with John Stewart, make that era's Hawks Egyptian by default, add Black Lightning (intro-ed 1977), Vixen (intro-ed 1981) Doctor Light (Kimiyo Hoshi 1985) El Diablo (Sandoval 1989) and others... but most important tell good stories with them.
    Satellite era was always a growing and rotating roster so if you want just continue it as if it kept going chronologically.
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-07-2019 at 10:55 AM.

I don’t think revisiting an all white all straight group from the 80’s is the best way to pull in fans. DC you is trying to move forward. I don’t have a problem with them having a headquarters in space though. Just make it work. Don’t do it out of nostalgia.
    The OP did mention "current representation of those heroes" which opens to door for more representation. I'd love to see that happen - whether it be in the present day or something that's meant to take place in the past. (and if it's in the past with the white and green League, then pair it with a present-day storyline involving a roster with more PoC)

Also, I'm not sure how much DC is really "trying to move forward." That's certainly up for debate.

I think the best way to pull in fans is to tell good stories. It's the best way to pull me in that's for sure.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

I thought this team was 80’s. I had no idea it came out in the 70’s. I googled Satellite Justice League and got this image.

Uh...I’ll definitely pass on this.

6DBA64F3-96AF-4EDE-80D8-58F9BF9DF01C.jpg

I thought this team was 80’s. I had no idea it came out in the 70’s. I googled Satellite Justice League and got this image.

Uh...I’ll definitely pass on this.

6DBA64F3-96AF-4EDE-80D8-58F9BF9DF01C.jpg
    It's fine if you don't want to read all white people. But the first half of the 1970s had some really good stories, IMO. Some good stuff later, too, but not as much, IMO.

For the record, I wouldn't rebuild the lineup today - it wouldn't do any good. Even if you kept all the original characters, they've changed way too much to have the same dynamics. And some (not all) of the dynamics they did have wouldn't work today, anyway.

I know many disagree, but I think there's something to be said for having characters who don't have their own titles on teams. More can be done with them. The 70s JLA had some big names, but some second-stringers, too, and I thought it worked well. I always liked the stories that had less of Batman and Superman, and my favorite era didn't even have Wonder Woman on the team. I like seeing Green Arrow and Atom and Black Canary the Hawks (well, first him, then later her for stupid reasons). And Red Tornado meeting Traya and Kathy.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 11-07-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I think the best way to pull in fans is to tell good stories. It's the best way to pull me in that's for sure.
    I agree. Diversity alone won’t generate good sales and good word of mouth if the stories aren’t at least good. For a property like the JLA, the stories should be great.

I do agree that some character development should take place too, but that’d require more coordination between editorial than DC or Marvel seems to be able to provide. Let’s face it, when it comes to the main JLA book, most of the people who readers expect should be there have their own titles.

I agree. Diversity alone won’t generate good sales and good word of mouth if the stories aren’t at least good. For a property like the JLA, the stories should be great.
    Diversity alone is cheap and requires no effort and will not bring success. But there's zero reason that good stories can't be done with a diverse cast. And good reason to go that route.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 11-07-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post

I do agree that some character development should take place too, but that’d require more coordination between editorial than DC or Marvel seems to be able to provide. Let’s face it, when it comes to the main JLA book, most of the people who readers expect should be there have their own titles.
    I think the best way to do this with a team like JLA where a lot of the characters have their own titles is focus on the dynamics between the characters and have things develop there rather than worry about upetting some kind of status quo that wouldn't sync with their solo titles.

And btw, if there happens to be an all-white cast, I am okay with it just as I'd be okay with a cast of no white people. Again, just tell good stories.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Diversity alone is cheap and requires no effort and will not bring success. But there's zero reason that good stories can't be done with a diverse cast. And good reason to go that route.
    Exactly! There really is no excuse for great characters like Vixen, Black Lightning, the female Dr. Light, etc who have been members to not get included.

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    If readers will choose not to read a book based on how the characters look like, that seems the opposite of progress to me.

Not sure about revisiting the Satellite JL in particular, but presumably the "5G" JL would be more diverse, so I don't see why they can't launch a separate JL title with a more classic line-up. Who doesn't want to see Guy, Ted and Booster in a JL title again.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-07-2019 at 10:08 AM.