Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Really what we all want is JLU. Just do a JLU comic.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

BANNED

Rather have generational JL or all women team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Rather have generational JL or all women team.
    All women would be dope, I liked AForce over at marvel
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Very true.
    I think that would be perfect.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

How would you go about that I wonder? Different team every arc, are the arcs standalone or do they all tie together?
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    How would you go about that I wonder? Different team every arc, are the arcs standalone or do they all tie together?
    How did the TV show do it?
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

How did the TV show do it?
    The tv show was very episodic and had some stand alone arcs with different characters teaming up iirc. It's been a while since I seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    The tv show was very episodic and had some stand alone arcs with different characters teaming up iirc. It's been a while since I seen it.
    There you go.

The tv show never had to worry about any team member's solo series though. And while it was fun for a tv show, in a comic it could end up just feeling like an anthology book. I think in a cartoon you could get away with it more than a comic where you want to be able to follow a specific set of characters.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The tv show never had to worry about any team member's solo series though. And while it was fun for a tv show, in a comic it could end up just feeling like an anthology book. I think in a cartoon you could get away with it more than a comic where you want to be able to follow a specific set of characters.
    The Satellite League also had the benefit of existing during Pre-Crisis, when the DCU was a bit less bound by continuity between books.
    But then, solo books were a little different back then, too. A story generally didn't last longer than an issue or two and the status quo rarely saw major changes that would impact other titles. So it was like piecing a Tetris puzzle as far as 'where does this fit'.

These days, it's harder to fit things together because a solo book's story could take four to six months and the hero could undergo outrageous changes multiple times in a year.

BANNED

I've found I often do not like Justice League comics because they usually have little character development, and the relationships between the key characters often feel superficial and empty. For example, I keep being told that Barry Allen and Hal Jordan are these great buddies, but most of the comics, at least within the last thirty years or so, don't really make me believe that. I'm told Superman and Wonder Woman love each other...but again, I don't believe it because the relationship felt superficial and empty. I didn't feel this while watching the first two seasons of the Justice League cartoons. The relationships and characters developed, they were believable and thus easy to invest in. Now, of course, you can say it's a different medium and different circumstances, and that might be true to an extent, but I think it just boils down to much better writing. The reason I bring this out, is because when you have this million man Justice League, the problems I already have with Justice League comics are exacerbated. For that reason, I'd rather not see a set up like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I've found I often do not like Justice League comics because they usually have little character development, and the relationships between the key characters often feel superficial and empty. For example, I keep being told that Barry Allen and Hal Jordan are these great buddies, but most of the comics, at least within the last thirty years or so, don't really make me believe that. I'm told Superman and Wonder Woman love each other...but again, I don't believe it because the relationship felt superficial and empty. I didn't feel this while watching the first two seasons of the Justice League cartoons. The relationships and characters developed, they were believable and thus easy to invest in. Now, of course, you can say it's a different medium and different circumstances, and that might be true to an extent, but I think it just boils down to much better writing. The reason I bring this out, is because when you have this million man Justice League, the problems I already have with Justice League comics are exacerbated. For that reason, I'd rather not see a set up like that.
    I'd recommend checking out All-Star Squadron by Roy Thomas.
    A huge cast, much larger than the Satellite-era League, with relationships developing among the core members.
    Where JLU's core cast was Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, John Stewart and Hawkgirl, All-Star Squadron's core was made up of mainly Commander Steel, Firebrand, Liberty Belle, Johnny Quick and Robotman.

Extraordinary Member

Well, at least now we have it on record that you would prefer somebody's hand me downs--which, by the way, they are going to take back and you KNOW this--than actual original characters that can stand toe to toe with characters like Superman and Batman, which Val Zod and Miles Morales will never be able to do. Ever.
    Miles has at least his own solo sories, Val Zod was just a part of the Earth 2 JSA, and Calvin Ellis is just a Superman from annother erath who occasionally pops up in Mulitverse Stories, and afaik for the most part just as Background character.

I re-read old JLA stories (via Comixology) from time to time...but not sure that JLA really works well in modern style comics.

Series like Stormwatch, The Authority, the Ostrander run on Suicide Squad, Checkmate...in my opinion they all give a better balance of how large super hero teams might work with (or seek to supplant) big government.

A satellite band of gods orbiting earth...tolerated by government? It just doesn’t strike me as a really good story premise for me in modern style super hero comics. It’s all subjective..of course...but I don’t think any writer could make it work for me.

Extraordinary Member

Batman's gang was overly large before Duke Thomas even arrived. Nobody needed or asked for a new wannabe Robin. Besides, I wouldn't totally call him an original leading hero, at least not in the terms I'm talking about. He's some Batman supporting character.
    And while he didn't became Robin, pre Rebirth he was pretty much written as if he was going to (including him being Robin in an alternate future comic, and being the leader of the "We are Robin"-movement).