Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It wouldn't work as is today. it can be used in flashback stories/arcs but that should be about it. I love the lineup and the Satellite era, but it's too dated.

At most, they can keep the exact lineup but add to it. Add the likes of Vixen, Steel, Dr. Light, Black Lightning, Element Woman, the new Aztek, etc and rotate the massive cast around depending on the story.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    At most, they can keep the exact lineup but add to it. Add the likes of Vixen, Steel, Dr. Light, Black Lightning, Element Woman, the new Aztek, etc and rotate the massive cast around depending on the story.
    I'd be down for Satellite+. I enjoyed what Meltzer tried to do with it. A rotating cast where characters pair up and go on different adventures while interacting is what I want out of a JL title anyway. More than a team of 7-10 always competing and having their dialogue absorbed by some giant disaster which leaves no room for character development.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Who doesn't want to see Guy, Ted and Booster in a JL title again.
    Also too white. Kimiyo was barely there before she left, then you only have Fire for representation and that wouldn't be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I don't know, Justice by Jim Krueger and Alex Ross was pretty successful about 15 years ago. It wasn't in continuity even when it came out but readers seemed to respond to it pretty well.
    LOL, a LOT has changed on the social equality front in 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Also too white. Kimiyo was barely there before she left, then you only have Fire for representation and that wouldn't be enough.
    "Too *insert color" is not an argument for me. You choose which characters to use based on what story you want to tell, not on how the characters happen to look like. That's like saying they should have Fire, Jaime and Vibe in the book only because the writer's editor told them the book needs to have 3 Latino characters and not because the writer actually needs them for the type of story they plan to tell.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-07-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I don't know, Justice by Jim Krueger and Alex Ross was pretty successful about 15 years ago. It wasn't in continuity even when it came out but readers seemed to respond to it pretty well.
    Key words being "15 years ago". There's a reason modern versions of the League tend to be more diverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I'd be down for Satellite+. I enjoyed what Meltzer tried to do with it. A rotating cast where characters pair up and go on different adventures while interacting is what I want out of a JL title anyway. More than a team of 7-10 always competing and having their dialogue absorbed by some giant disaster which leaves no room for character development.
    AMEN to that!!! This is EXACTLY why even though Scott Snyder is a big name writer who brings big sales to whatever titles he writes, I was one of the few people who did NOT want him writing a main Justice League title.

Snyder is doing exactly what you said in bold, and probably to a worse extent than any writer before him has even done. Basically, each arc and event has to being GINORMOUS and have higher stakes than the previous one, and each arc and story is already so huge, bloated, disaster and doom impending, and exposition box-filled that the characters never really even get time to BREATH, much less have any character development or personal interactions. That's why when you write stories THAT big and cluttered with action, the stories actually become boring.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 11-07-2019 at 10:41 AM.

I like the work Alex Ross does for Marvel but somehow all the DC stuff seems too retro. I know they have the Justice series at my library so I might check it out.

That was the formula for JLA stories in the silver age, way before Meltzer. (less rotating cast, but more the pairing off of teammates)

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

That was the formula for JLA stories in the silver age, way before Meltzer. (less rotating cast, but more the pairing off of teammates)
    Right, that's what I'd want, which could include newer and more diverse characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    AMEN to that!!! This is EXACTLY why even though Scott Snyder is a big name writer who brings big sales to whatever titles he writes, I was one of the few people who did NOT want him writing a main Justice League title.

Snyder is doing exactly what you said in bold, and probably to a worse extent than any writer before him has even done. Basically, each arc and event has to being GINORMOUS and have higher stakes than the previous one, and each arc and story is already so huge, bloated, disaster and doom impending, and exposition box-filled that the characters never really even get time to BREATH, much less have any character development or personal interactions. That's why when you write stories THAT big and cluttered with action, the stories actually become boring.
    That's a reason I stayed mostly away. I was exhausted after Metal, and some of Snyder's run was good, but not enough to hook me. Looking at the direction it went in, I might check it out later, but it's probably just not for me.

BANNED

I'm pretty sure Fire is white, too, for what it's worth.

I was exhausted after Metal, and some of Snyder's run was good, but not enough to hook me.
    Yep. "Exhausting" is the PERFECT word to describe Snyder's writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    "Too *insert color" is not an argument for me.
    Yeah, I'm with you here. But further still. I think "too *insert color*" is straight up, unambiguously racist.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 11-08-2019 at 05:50 PM.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you here. But further still. I think "too *insert color*" is straight up, unambiguously racist.
    Let me put it this way and hopefully I don't misconstrue the point I was previously trying to make. Wolfman obviously created Cyborg with the idea of better representation. Vic Stone is a black man because there weren't/aren't enough black DC superheroes. But when Vic joined the Titans, it had nothing to do with his race, he joined them because he could relate to them, they were outcasts like he was. He felt he belonged there. He stood out as a character because he didn't feel out of place. He had a reason to be there. Then compare that to The New-52 where Cyborg was made a JL founding member for clearly no other reason than how he looked. Subsequently there were little to no attempts made on DC's part to showcase why Vic needed to be there. Forever Evil was perhaps the one JL story that I felt it wouldn't work the same way without Cyborg. Other than that he always felt out of place. I feel like when you bring in diverse characters only for the sake of representation without having an actual plan for them in mind, you end up doing those characters more disservice than not. Sure, the characters get more exposure in the process, but with Cyborg the main thing that was exposed was the fact that they had no clear planning for him and that ended up hurting him.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-07-2019 at 11:35 AM.

I think that's easy to say when you never have to look for characters who look like you or are part or your group or know that they don't get the premiere teams or starring roles (mostly from non being old enough due to the default state being "white and male" more and more so the further back you get in time). I'm female and white. I don't always notice the racial lineup of teams. But I do sometimes look at say "no women - never mind." Can I relate to male characters - yes. But the absence is sometimes absolutely glaring to me and it feels like my subgroup just isn't important/significant enough to be included (weird to call women a subgroup, given percent of population, but you know what I mean). They don't get to be awesome or looked up to. Sometimes I think of how many mainstream, intended for a broad audience television shows there have been featuring multiple male leads and no women. And how extremely few there have been that are reverse - shows about women are almost always "women's shows" whereas shows about men are just "people's shows." It's even worse for minorities. So yes, I do think developing a more diverse lineup can be very good. In a main title like JL is good because it's not segregated. But, as mentioned in regards to Cyborg, the characters need to be developed and fleshed out and not just there to be as tokens. I'm also not a fan of orientation or gender or race-bending existing characters in reboots/alternate media - it's a shortcut instead of actually developing new (or even existing) characters in a way that makes sense, particularly in stories set present-day, when these things would have effected a person growing up. Also, I'm not generally a fan of big retcons, anyway.

Also, I think going back to old lineups is often an appeal to nostalgia - a choice made when creators are out of actual ideas or new things to do.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 11-07-2019 at 11:43 AM.