Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Chris Claremont doesn't care about the X-Men movies from Fox

https://sciencefiction.com/2019/10/1...men-franchise/

"During an ‘X-Men’ panel at New York Comic Con, the co-creator of fan favorites like Rogue and Mystique revealed that he did not care for the ‘X-Men’ film franchise 20th Century Fox has released since 2000. He also disclosed that he would be returning to Marvel to write an all-new ‘X-Men’ title yet to be announced.

After the panelists discussed how Stan Lee’s stories were adapted for the silver screen, Claremont admitted, “I wish they’d gotten my films right.”

I wish they had gotten the films right too.

look, a sane person over there!
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    look, a sane person over there!
    I wish he would've been more bold about this take when he might have been able to reverse the franchise's trajectory. Waiting until after the fact (after years of pimping the movies) doesn't exactly accomplish much.

There were a couple good ones... X2 was pretty good.

That said, I think overall I would share Claremonts feelings. They were so uneven.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I wish he would've been more bold about this take when he might have been able to reverse the franchise's trajectory. Waiting until after the fact (after years of pimping the movies) doesn't exactly accomplish much.
    I doubt that Fox would have given a damn about what Claremont thought.

But he is right. I think I can say that there were 3 excellent movies (X2, First Class, and Days of Future Past), with the rest being mediocre to bad.

even the worst Xmen movies, Origins, X3, are still pretty entertaining, well maybe not Apocalypse. But they've also got some real gems like Logan and First Class. So I've got mostly fond memories of those flicks even if I'm more than ready for Feige to work his magic on them.

Its very hard to love Fox. They made some terrible mistakes, I am not surprised Claremont feels the way, although if he feels the way? the question now is what does he truly feel about the future? In the past, he has never been a fan of marvel studios movies. during DOFP released, he said the difference between xmen and other marvel characters or movies is they have zero content and xmen is a lot deeper than avengers or the standard comic movies. he even said, they don't need to wear costumes and you need to tell real stories in xmen not just some action stuff like we see in Avengers.

So if was not pleased with most of fox, he is likely going to have a hatred for the next wave of Disney xmen movies, that can't even adapt many of his compelling adult stories. I sense a very George Lucas feeling for Claremont in the future. he won't be allowed to give his real thoughts because Disney would be paying his salary and would likely ask for a disclosure agreement where he can't say anything bad about xmen movies like Disney did with Lucas.

I mostly feel your pain Claremont, what Fox and Kinberg did with dark phoenix, the most iconic xmen story was mostly unforgivable. I just wish we were guaranteed a better tomorrow for x-men instead, xmen now goes under the cooperate chains of Disney, who would do worse as they can't even tell your own stories.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-07-2019 at 02:18 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There were a couple good ones... X2 was pretty good.

That said, I think overall I would share Claremonts feelings. They were so uneven.
    Quoted for the simplest of truths.

Some were good but overall they were very uneven.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    even the worst Xmen movies, Origins, X3, are still pretty entertaining, well maybe not Apocalypse. But they've also got some real gems like Logan and First Class. So I've got mostly fond memories of those flicks even if I'm more than ready for Feige to work his magic on them.
    Big X-Men fan here, and while I found Apocalypse a poorly paced movie with uninteresting villains, I was thoroughly entertained by the younger characters (Scott, Jean, Kurt, and even Jubes for as little screentime she had) as well as the scenes featuring Magneto and his family.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

BANNED

My biggest problem with FoXMen, was their refusal to branch out with more characters. Simon Kinberg took over the franchise from Lauren Donner and rebooted to First Class with the same core characters.

Claremont has always been a hard ass, very had to impress but at the same time if you read his books especially his 17 years legendary run you would see why. Fox movies by his stories were derivate. X2 is a good example, arguably the best xmen film but to the comics of gods love man kills , its just good to okay because fox skipped on many important content in that story that could have even elevated the movie more. Its not a content we will ever see again in an xmen movie ever again because Disney would never allow it.

what some people here are thinking is he is a fan of mainstream comic movies today when he is not and has already said most films like avengers and superman have no depth and no story to them and are not about characters but about explosions. he said this in a 2014 interview about DOFP when he was comparing it to comic movies of today

This is the guy who made xmen a soap era of endless dramas. Can't say I blame him when fox messed up a lot like the recent Dark Phoenix and the genre presently just sucks.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-07-2019 at 11:44 AM.

BANNED

Yeah, Fox screwed up and I think Disney will do an even worse job.

“Chris [Claremont]’s idea of a perfect issue of the X-Men,” Byrne once said, “would be 22 pages of them walking around in the Village or at Scott’s apartment or something like that, where they sit around, out of costume, in jeans and t-shirts, and just talk.”

— Marvel Comics: The Untold Story, Sean Howe

I don't know in what context it was said, if it was meant as criticism, a lighthearted joke or a purposely exaggerated example.

My problem with the Fox movies is that they look amateurish in many ways. It's like the directors and scriptwriters assumed that most of the audience had no idea what a superhuman was, and decided to show that "there is this concept where some humans can fly and walk through walls and stuff. We'll show you, it's really going to blow your socks off." And in every movie, it was mutants versus humans and good mutants versus bad mutants. The future mutants in Days of Future looked like they came straight from the New Zealand TV-show The Tribe.

Can someone post a link to where Claremont shits on the MCU. The NYCC panel where he said he wished fox adapted his storys better directly proceeded a conversation about how well Stan Lee's stories have been adapted. Which doesnt mean much but havent heard him **** on the MCU before and he did say he was excited to see what they do next with Xmen.

He has complained about Company politics killing the Xmen comics. Saying the MCU was responsible for Marvel tanking Xmen and F4 comics since they dont own the film rights(Clearly that all changed now but I Get why that would be upsetting.) But that's not a critique of the movie but rather just disdain for company politics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Can someone post a link to where Claremont shits on the MCU. The NYCC panel where he said he wished fox adapted his storys better directly proceeded a conversation about how well Stan Lee's stories have been adapted. Which doesnt mean much but havent heard him **** on the MCU before and he did say he was excited to see what they do next with Xmen.

He has complained about Company politics killing the Xmen comics. Saying the MCU was responsible for Marvel tanking Xmen and F4 comics since they dont own the film rights(Clearly that all changed now but I Get why that would be upsetting.) But that's not a critique of the movie but rather just disdain for company politics
    And a statement of truth. On that, I'm quite glad Claremont was vocal.