Default Why is Uncanny X-Men #124 note worthy

At every con, or at every store, I almost always see UXM #124 graded and on display. It’s probably top 10 most common X-Men issues I see in the high value graded section. I can’t figure out why though. It doesn’t seem important at all. No notable first appearance, creative team change, or iconic moment. Any ideas?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

If I had to guess it's because of communist Colossus.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

For those who don’t have the issue #124 in mind:

I guess it is for its infamous vibes…
    Last edited by Zelena; 05-04-2021 at 03:57 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Mighty Member

Maybe there was a printing problem that resulted in #124 having either less total books available or less mint/near mint books available when compared to typical UXM issues at that time.

Mighty Member

I miss Chris Claremont days when the stories are coherent and exciting. Marvel should go back to the old numbering instead of getting reset to number one everytime a new writer comes along.

There is just too many volumes of X-Men running around.

Extraordinary Member

Origin of Arcade, and a character shift (although temporary). Stories used to be big reasons for why people to wanted a comic, it was not just first appearances.

Other than that, most of that run is pricey. If you are seeing that issue sitting around the most it is probably because it is not noteworthy (other than the things I mentioned) and probably has been flooded with graded copies.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Origin of Arcade, and a character shift (although temporary). Stories used to be big reasons for why people to wanted a comic, it was not just first appearances.

Other than that, most of that run is pricey. If you are seeing that issue sitting around the most it is probably because it is not noteworthy (other than the things I mentioned) and probably has been flooded with graded copies.
    I think this explanation is right. I think 123 and 124 are generally a little cheaper than those either side of them, 122 is slightly more expensive, 121 and 120 a lot more. Then on the other side 125 to 137, for fairly obvious reasons are also increasingly more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    I miss Chris Claremont days when the stories are coherent and exciting. Marvel should go back to the old numbering instead of getting reset to number one everytime a new writer comes along.

Preach it!

Mighty Member

I actually have an original copy of issue #124, does anybody know where I can sell it?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think the constant renumbering is something we'll all have to put up with on Marvel Comics for a while longer, as it still generates enough of a revenue spike for them to be irresistible... until that goose eventually dies and numbers can resume only going forward as it should be for all periodical publications. Other offices at Marvel are actually pretty good at keeping the Legacy numbering alive and appearing on the cover of every issue, I'm thinking on Amazing Spider-Man for example, but the X-office doesn't seem to care all that much. I should have sent in a question about this to JDW for his next AMA on AIPT actually!

I know this is an old comment but since the thread was brought back by someone else.. I will agree because my local comic shop can't even hold Duggan's X-men for me. I always miss it. Luckily most times there is a copy on the shelf, but they can't record which book I want in their computer system lol The worker always rants that she can't find it and in her system there are too many X-men titles that she can't find the right one. Another worker looked at my book and decided it was called X-men Alpha (he was looking at the data page lol). I was trying to explain which volume it was, and it was the book written by Duggan to no avail.

I've went through this multiple times at the comic store that I have given up. Hopefully they will have Immortal X-men and X-men Red in my pull folder.