Page 65 of 87 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    I think the X-Men have never been a reflection of real life minorities they might have supposed to have been but it was too poorly executed for it to matter what the intentions are. The major difference between real life minorities and the X-Men is that real life minorities do not have the power to fight back with force so they have to try to appeal to a better part of their oppressors that may not even exist. The X-Men have the power to fight back against and eliminate their oppressors but choose not to.
    This is an interesting takeaway. Has there ever been an X-Men writer who wasn't a straight white male? I'm honestly asking, because I don't know...I would be interested to see the X-Men written from the perspective of someone who knows what it's like to be socially oppressed on a regular basis.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    This is an interesting takeaway. Has there ever been an X-Men writer who wasn't a straight white male? I'm honestly asking, because I don't know...I would be interested to see the X-Men written from the perspective of someone who knows what it's like to be socially oppressed on a regular basis.
    I mean, it’s worth mentioning that the X-Men were created by two Jewish people, isn’t it?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I mean, it’s worth mentioning that the X-Men were created by two Jewish people, isn’t it?
    It most certainly is worth mentioning. But I don't think it will make much difference.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    I think the X-Men have never been a reflection of real life minorities they might have supposed to have been but it was too poorly executed for it to matter what the intentions are. The major difference between real life minorities and the X-Men is that real life minorities do not have the power to fight back with force so they have to try to appeal to a better part of their oppressors that may not even exist. The X-Men have the power to fight back against and eliminate their oppressors but choose not to.
    Not all mutants can. +Preeeeeeetty sure women can completely eliminate the males of our species...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    not on a main XBook :/ but with writers like Tini Howard& Saladin Ahmed writing satellite Xbooks recently hopefully that'll change soon

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    If you're only going to mention it without commenting on it...I'd it really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It most certainly is worth mentioning. But I don't think it will make much difference.
    On what?
    GrindrStone(D)

I think Stanley Lieber's personal experiences and feelings about racism are the entire reason for the racism analogies in the OG Xmen comics.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Not all mutants can. +Preeeeeeetty sure women can completely eliminate the males of our species...lol
    not on a main XBook :/ but with writers like Tini Howard& Saladin Ahmed writing satellite Xbooks recently hopefully that'll change soon

If you're only going to mention it without commenting on it...I'd it really?

On what?
    The ideology that oppression and racism is specific to and directed at only Black People. (Although the United States of Karenica will beg to differ.)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

The ideology that oppression and racism is specific to and directed at only Black People. (Although the United States of Karenica will beg to differ.)
    the concept of racism is a subset of elitism, and elitism can take any form that makes people different from each other.

In this instance, though...It's directly referential to the perception the Human majority have of and for the Mutant minority.

In this instance, though...It's directly referential to the perception the Human majority have of and for the Mutant minority.
    On Krakoa, the mutant are the majority.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Well...I don't know what to do with that.

They're clearly not being racist among themselves and towards each other...so...?

As it obviously wasn't very clear...I was referring to the Human-Mutant relations/relationship upon which the entire premise of the X-Men has been based, since inception.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Jim Lee over here like

"We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

It really was for the briefest of periods...just a few months, but he did write the X-Men, as well as illustrate.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    the concept of racism is a subset of elitism, and elitism can take any form that makes people different from each other.
    Yep, elitism such as through the privilege of money, power, influence, etc. with racism just being one of its deadlier manifestations. There’s also religious-based dominating elements in society. For example, in the Roman Empire, there was religious persecution in the form of Christians being persecuted, yet it was after Constantine the Great became Emperor and decided to help the Christians after converting to Christianity himself was when Christians were being persecuted less with the help of his policies, and goes back to the idea of how societies can be shaped depending on who’s in power and on “the winning side.”

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Jim Lee over here like
    He did have such a massive impact. My younger brothers are not comic readers but they love the X-Men. Any memorabilia they have (t-shirts, stickers) features Jim's work.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Jim Lee over here like

Also, Whilce Portacio is Filipino and Kieron Gillen is bisexual, though then again, a writer does not need to be of Filipino descent or bisexual to understand the experiences of those who are socially oppressed, just as one doesn’t need to be Jewish or of another certain background to understand and write about how what the Jews went through in the Holocaust were horrific experiences too.

This is not to say non-minorities in America know better than minorities, whom should be considered for writing staffs just as much, but that one doesn’t need to be a minority to understand minorities either.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 05-30-2020 at 11:38 AM.