Page 14 of 87 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    All the human superheroes were being monitored, had a list of names, and could not use powers without being sanctioned to.

Also, there is a human registration act, it's called "social security".
    mutants also get social security and have birth certificates.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Not to mention whoever hung around him. In this case Jim Wilson and we all know who his Uncle and father are. A guy working for the military and Cap America's partner and Avenger.
    I'm pretty sure everyone who knew the Hulk was often arrested for aiding a known felon.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    mutants also get social security and have birth certificates.
    Well, better let Senator Kelly know that, guess we don't need a mutant registry after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I don't think some people here mean to say "dump away Stan and Jack's prejudice-addressing aspect of the series," but how it wasn't approached that well in recent years, and that it was only through Hickman's recent direction that readers seem to be finally getting at a more well thought out, varied, and interesting approach in regards to human/mutant relations.
    I disagree with the Hickman statement. So far (and its still pretty early, I grant you) in this reboot its 'humans are all terrible', and humans and mutants will inevitably try to wipe each other out. To me at least it feels like doubling down on the sentiment from the last few years that humanity only wants genocide.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

All the human superheroes were being monitored, had a list of names, and could not use powers without being sanctioned to.

Also, there is a human registration act, it's called "social security".
    Speaking of restricting/stripping down superheroes in what they're allowed to do, also worth mentioning is The Return of Captain Invincible (1983), which presents the idea of a superhero who was forced into retirement in the 1950s following the government's persecution of him. I suppose it and Days of Future Past can give an idea as to the sort of direction superheroes in general seemed to be taken in the 1980s, and perhaps even beyond.

Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-10-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    LOL that last line actually made me laugh out loud.

I think marvel should introduce human collars so if they have intent on doing any sort of mass destruction or gain a weapon of mass destruction which is easy in the mu and tend to use it, they can be shut down remotely. I mean if it works for mutants.
    Rogue would have been certainly happy to have one in her youth…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Well, better let Senator Kelly know that, guess we don't need a mutant registry after all.
    Think about all that tax money these countries are losing by persecuting and now letting their mutants get away. 17 million potential tax paying citizens, dead,
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

The Hulk is a pretty terrible example to use like this, because out of everyone on those lists of of dudes who get away with terrible things, he gets away with the least. He has spent a huge amount of time in his career being hunted by former friends, and entire organizations dedicated to monitoring and killing him. The collateral damage from even his heroic acts gets brought up all the time. He feels enormously guilty about all of it, and he would absolutely be dead from either those organizations or via suicide if his powers actually let him.

Those other guys? Them having a long history of terrible deeds and facing no consequences are why I have trouble reading their stories. Its why I mostly stick to Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales and the like. At least they have the excuse of being kids trying their best.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    The Hulk is a pretty terrible example to use like this, because out of everyone on those lists of of dudes who get away with terrible things, he gets away with the least. He has spent a huge amount of time in his career being hunted by former friends, and entire organizations dedicated to monitoring and killing him. The collateral damage from even his heroic acts gets brought up all the time. He feels enormously guilty about all of it, and he would absolutely be dead from either those organizations or via suicide if his powers actually let him.

Those other guys? Them having a long history of terrible deeds and facing no consequences are why I have trouble reading their stories. Its why I mostly stick to Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales and the like. At least they have the excuse of being kids trying their best.
    You're honestly joking if you think any of the current X-Men have had zero consequences for simply existing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    confused youth would be happy to have a lot of things they don't understand the meaning of.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    You're honestly joking if you think any of the current X-Men have had zero consequences for simply existing.
    Not at all. I'm not sure how you got that. By 'other guys' I meant Strange, Reed Richards, Iron Man, etc. They've gotten away with TONS.

I think the main thing was Stan was doing it as a metaphor specifically for racism rather than minorities in general.
    Difference?
    He also said that he never intended for Iceman to be gay, for instance.
    Is this a list of Stan Lee's early ideas about the X-Men that have no bearing on the series now?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    more unsupported head Canon
    I disagree with the Hickman statement. So far (and its still pretty early, I grant you) in this reboot its 'humans are all terrible', and humans and mutants will inevitably try to wipe each other out. To me at least it feels like doubling down on the sentiment from the last few years that humanity only wants genocide.
    This ain't about the many nuances of the human race. The X-Men are strictly dealing with threats to Mutants/the world. Why would you read the X-Men expecting to see their biggest source of friction as paradigms of virtue
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

It's almost alien to think that over 35 years earlier in Incredible Hulk #279 (1983), he was publicly being pardoned and given acceptance.

I dunno, it seems to me that Hickman is portraying humans as more sympathetic than they've been in years.

I dunno, it seems to me that Hickman is portraying humans as more sympathetic than they've been in years.
    Lol i didn't feel sorry for her at all. I was thinking omg, she is crying because her husband killed himself while on a space station creating weapons to kill unsuspecting mutant women and children. That would be like me feeling sorry for the Charlottesville driver because his wife(if that was the case, it didn't actually happen. just to be clear.) chose to be in the passenger seat with him while he ran people down and she died on impact and he was crying over it. Its like "okay..."
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.