Page 16 of 87 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    I'd rather have the writers make a villain "evil because evil" like Darkseid, then jump through hoops to explain how this person attempting to enact genocide on an entire group of people occasionally feels sad over their family members.
    same here. one is a villain, the other is worse than a villain in my opinion.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    same here. one is a villain, the other is worse than a villain in my opinion.
    You don't get mad at Darkseid like you don't get mad at tornadoes or earthquakes. He doesn't know better, things like emotion are entirely alien to him. He exists to make people die and suffer and that's it.

With the humans at ORCHIS, by showing they can feel emotion and pain and sorrow, you know that they can feel empathy for millions of people they are about to whole sale slaughter, they simply choose not to. That's MUCH worse.

You don't get mad at Darkseid like you don't get mad at tornadoes or earthquakes. He doesn't know better, things like emotion are entirely alien to him. He exists to make people die and suffer and that's it.

With the humans at ORCHIS, by showing they can feel emotion and pain and sorrow, you know that they can feel empathy for millions of people they are about to whole sale slaughter, they simply choose not to. That's MUCH worse.
    Ah, the philosophical subject of free will…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Exactly, or even if they give a reason. Like if they were going for sympathy how about her daughter was being threatened by orichis but it was made clear she didn't even want kids (probably because she thought she would have to kill it in it's sleep if it was a mutant.) If you can think about your own connections and loves and not understand others are trying to do the same that is when you cross the line from villian to monster imo. This Dr. was a monster, the worst kind of monster. The kind that i truly believe if she had a mutant child she would drop it off a tower because she lacks any sort of empathic emotion. She hated mutants so much, or feared them so much, all she could see was what they were doing to her, even though they weren't doing anything but existing. Her husband killed himself.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

That sounds like a more interesting and nuanced story, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    “Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

The Epicurian Paradox.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Is that why folks raved about Nimrod? He was evil but that was just his programming?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    So we have all these threads about mutants. Where is the thread asking "why do humans in the MU choose to be evil."
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    That sounds like a more interesting and nuanced story, to be honest.
    Not really. It just makes the bad guys looks like complete sociopaths.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    So we have all these threads about mutants. Where is the thread asking "why do humans in the MU choose to be evil."
    Because whenever we do, people go "why are we supposed to sympathize with the racists? they should be cartoons!"

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Is that why folks raved about Nimrod? He was evil but that was just his programming?
    Nimrod was the most dangerous because he still had the genocidal programming of his creators, but the malicious never ending intent of something worse.

Not really. It just makes the bad guys looks like complete sociopaths.
    If they feel sympathy for some people, they're not sociopaths by definition.

And honestly, it looks like Hickman is going to create more scenes like the one I posted, whether people like it or not.

If they feel sympathy for some people, they're not sociopaths by definition.

And honestly, it looks like Hickman is going to create more scenes like the one I posted, whether people like it or not.
    I mean, it doesn't make people relate to them, and shouldn't make people sympathize with them. It's like asking what kind of ice cream Stalin preferred.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I dunno, it seems to me that Hickman is portraying humans as more sympathetic than they've been in years.
    Seems to be a reminder that despite all the awful things humans have done to the mutants, and the bad methods that were used, there are humans that are still driven by human desires in the first place (aka a desire to build a better world, to have children, to love, etc.), not necessarily by outside monstrously demonic influences or something along those lines like Mephisto.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Seems to be a reminder that despite all the awful things humans have done to the mutants, and the bad methods that were used, there are humans that are still driven by human desires in the first place (aka a desire to build a better world, to have children, to love, etc.), not necessarily by outside monstrously demonic influences or something along those lines like Mephisto.
    Pretty much. Really, the humans on average that Hickman has been portraying are more fearful than hateful.

(Though we still see those types, let me tell you)