Page 43 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Dang you prefer the drivel and prattle of new Dad Beak about his half dozen or so Chicken/fly kids??? Your masochism is very niche
    I prefer respect. I wouldn't call that masochism.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

Yeah that's if the Scarlet Witch ain't feeling fake self loathing, Or if the Sentinels aren't out scanning for anyone with an XGene to destroy or the inhumans Poison cloud is not in the forecast. THEEEEN yesh you might be able to blend in..lol.Every5 minutes?! I would think eventually readers would just understand that's how the 616 works and explanation would be minimum.
    Scarlet Witch was about to be lynched when Magneto came to save her and used that to extort her to join the Brotherhood. You're cherrypicking, as well as moving the goal posts.

.... Magneto went above and beyond when San Francisco was hit by that earthquake. Saving a human city....+ Consider an angry mob if Humans stopped him from saving his daughter from burning alive if his reaction is more violent it's kiiiinda understandable
    Magneto did something good for once, great. What about the times he personally terrorised the world? It's chilling how you're dismissing mass murder so casually. In Marvel he's the equivalent to being mutant Osama bin Laden. The context for his violence would at any sign a mob showed up, not because he's saving people. He doesn't need many reasons to harm or kill humans - that's why mobs won't try to harm him, it's suicide.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Well for what is worth he also helped normal humans beings from being turned into mutants and killed by mothervine, he even made Exodus help, he went to help stop the destruction the children of the vault were making on India, stopped Red Skull, liberated a concentration campt for child mutants, etc.

I would not mind either talking with Magneto I even like his sense of humor it`s pretty similar to his father`s, quiet but funny , if some day marvel made it`s mind about him to make him a superhero 100% of the time he would be pretty impressive for his powers and the way he understands the world, which goes to making harder questions than your usual super hero and he would make up for his past.Part of his appeal is the fact that he can be a great villain or an impressive super hero without chaging much his pov, he`s the type of character that just gets things done.

Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-10-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Well for what is worth he also helped normal humans beings from being turned into mutants and killed by mothervine, he even made Exodus help, he went to help stop the destruction the children of the vault were making on India, stopped Red Skull, liberated a concentration campt for child mutants, etc.

I would not mind either talking with Magneto I even like his sense of humor it`s pretty similar to his father`s, quiet but funny , if some day marvel made it`s mind about him to make him a superhero 100% of the time he would be pretty impressive for his powers and the way he understands the world, which goes to making harder questions than your usual super hero and he would make up for his past.Part of his appeal is the fact that he can be a great villain or an impressive super hero without chaging much his pov, he`s the type of character that just gets things done.

It's true that this is part of Magneto's character but it dismisses how villainous he is, he's not like Angel, from Buffy, who is constantly tormented by the evil he's done and devotes everything to righting wrongs he did when he was evil. Angel doesn't think humans are ant which should worship his kind like gods, either. That hasn't changed with Magneto.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    It's true that this is part of Magneto's character but it dismisses how villainous he is, he's not like Angel, from Buffy, who is constantly tormented by the evil he's done and devotes everything to righting wrongs he did when he was evil. Angel doesn't think humans are ant which should worship his kind like gods, either. That hasn't changed with Magneto.

I disagree the "we are gods" part from Magneto was said to other ambassadors from some of the most powerful countries on earth and this happened right after he showed them how their new embassy worked but they thought that was their way of making war to humankind and also found out most of them were agents send from their countries to kill Xavier, even before Krakoa was revealed as a nation. So I think he was being mostly a little **** to them as a result from that, but this doesn`t mean he actually plans or thinks humans should be made slaves, even when he was ruler of Genosha he didn`t do that, or that they are ants for mutants to push around. With most other people he behaves as he would with any other stranger, but sometimes when he`s curious he likes to know what`s their stance on the mutant/human confrontation.

He also regrets his past actions but has yet to decide to make a point of righting them, because for him mutants are in more danger from humans than the other way around but this doesn`t mean he thiks humans are not worthy of being protected by him, the X-men or mutants in general, he called it justice to protect all people in fact is one of the reasons why he respects so much the X-men even when he was their adversary. That`s also why I think that if he was allowed by marvel to grow the way he did on AoA or in the 80`s , he could be a really impressive superhero, he`s at his best when he no longer has this internal human vs mutant conflict on his mind.

Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-10-2020 at 08:22 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

I disagree the "we are gods" part from Magneto was said to other ambassadors from some of the most powerful countries on earth and this happened right after he showed them how their new embassy worked but they thought that was their way of making war to humankind and also found out most of them were agents send from their countries to kill Xavier, even before Krakoa was revealed as a nation. So I think he was being mostly a little **** to them as a result from that, but this doesn`t mean he actually plans or thinks humans should be made slaves, even when he was ruler of Genosha he didn`t do that, or that they are ants for mutants to push around. With most other people he behaves as he would with any other stranger, but sometimes when he`s curious he likes to know what`s their stance on the mutant/human confrontation.

He also regrets his past actions but has yet to decide to make a point of righting them, because for him mutants are in more danger from humans than the other way around but this doesn`t mean he thiks humans are not worthy of being protected by him, the X-men or mutants in general, he called it justice to protect all people in fact is one of the reasons why he respects so much the X-men even when he was their adversary. That`s also why I think that if he was allowed by marvel to grow the way he did on AoA or in the 80`s , he could be a really impressive superhero, he`s at his best when he no longer has this internal human vs mutant conflict on his mind.

Dang! Definitely Delegating Damnable data destroying Dudes Damaging delusion
    GrindrStone(D)

An official must use words with caution… it has consequences.

You defend Magneto with passion, Lucy…
    Well, I like him too, but it depends a lot on how an author writes him.

Either Magneto considers himself as an human being albeit a special one, protecting other special humans because they need him more the others… or he thinks that he is not human and his special abilities put him apart and above the humans… It changes a lot the vision of his position in the world and his relationship with the rest of humanity.
    You can't use all the canon, because the resulting image doesn't make any sense, it's too inconsistent.

So I would say that both Steel Inquisitor and you are right: it depends on what kind of comics you dig.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I will watch my language then

I mostly agree with you that we both can be right according to the different eras of Magneto if we take them all as whole story, Also I have yet to read Hickman`s take on him as an ambassador to know where he`s going with Magneto`s role in Krakoa(Need to read Giant Size Magneto to know where he`s going with him) but I also think Claremont kind of took care of the problem of Magneto`s identity and his whole relationship with humanity, if we hold his work at face value, Magneto usually talks about himself in the third person, or says he`s POWER, more than human, etc, when he`s kind of losing his grip on reality when he overuses his powers, Claremont also wrote him both ways during his run, as the villain who declared war on the whole world and destroying nuclear submarines and as the man on a redemption arc, looking to right his wrongs and protecting other mutants like Rachel from going into the same path he did. This is a theme that`s sometimes tackled by some writers while other`s don`t do it but still keep some of what Claremont introduced in the character.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-11-2020 at 01:16 AM.

Mutants are fine when they blend in, it's when they use their powers in public that they get backlash. Marvel's been wishy washy about this applying to other groups since it'd bog down other series if they had to explain to readers every five minutes why a bunch of bigots are randomly forming a mob around deities etc. How powerful a suer-human is impacts this, as well. Magneto is going to get less violence against him from a mob than Beak, because people realise they don't like dying in the next five minutes.
    But "blending in" requires them to be indistinguishable from "normal" people. Which is where the problems come in. Xmen:TAS Skull mesa was populated mostly by mutants who couldn't blend in, but unlike the Morlocks they weren't willing to live in the sewer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    But "blending in" requires them to be indistinguishable from "normal" people. Which is where the problems come in. Xmen:TAS Skull mesa was populated mostly by mutants who couldn't blend in, but unlike the Morlocks they weren't willing to live in the sewer.
    Which is something a large segment of mutants and mutates can do without any hassle. How is this a problem? Blending in allows them to escape from persecution and gives them the ability to rise up in normal society. Not passing for human is a problem or various super-human races, from Inhumans to those cosmically or radiation effected like Lockjaw, Ben Grimm and the Hulk. Looking human will still get lynch mobs motivated if they think they can harm a mutant. The more powerful and known ones will be targets for organised hate groups like the Purifiers and the Right.

Which is something a large segment of mutants and mutates can do without any hassle. How is this a problem? Blending in allows them to escape from persecution and gives them the ability to rise up in normal society. Not passing for human is a problem or various super-human races, from Inhumans to those cosmically or radiation effected like Lockjaw, Ben Grimm and the Hulk. Looking human will still get lynch mobs motivated if they think they can harm a mutant. The more powerful and known ones will be targets for organised hate groups like the Purifiers and the Right.
    Huh? That's your advice ? look as normal as possible...keep you head down, avoid any problems by pretending you're something you're not? Maybe I'm reading it wrong...idk
    GrindrStone(D)

it should raise the question as why u the a person is so quick to compartmentalize people
    You tell ‘em BroHomo!
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Astonishing Member

Huh? That's your advice ? look as normal as possible...keep you head down, avoid any problems by pretending you're something you're not? Maybe I'm reading it wrong...idk
    To use all the abilities you have to survive and thrive, not every can do that and live. That's why the Morlocks went to the sewers, they had to hide from humans or they'd be at risk of getting murdered on sight. It's important for progress to be made and for people to push boundaries but that's a large gamble not everyone is capable of surviving and being an X-man in itself is a license for super-villains to want to kill you.

It didn't help that the response read like it was wrong for mutants to be able to blend in, as if they weren't born with their appearance. They'd be foolish to not use that when their lives are in danger. They can't fight for mutants rights if they're dead.

Where is this concern for people like Ben Grimm?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

To use all the abilities you have to survive and thrive, not every can do that and live. That's why the Morlocks went to the sewers, they had to hide from humans or they'd be at risk of getting murdered on sight. It's important for progress to be made and for people to push boundaries but that's a large gamble not everyone is capable of surviving and being an X-man in itself is a license for super-villains to want to kill you.

It didn't help that the response read like it was wrong for mutants to be able to blend in, as if they weren't born with their appearance. They'd be foolish to not use that when their lives are in danger. They can't fight for mutants rights if they're dead.

Where is this concern for people like Ben Grimm?
    Actually a solid point as well, though I'd argue that Ben Grimm gets a relative pass because he and the other three members of the Fantastic Four never tried to hide who they were from the general public and lived out in the open. Of course, as Reed Richards privately admitted at one point, becoming beloved celebrities was pretty much the only way to protect them from being treated the same way as the likes of the X-Men, the Hulk, or even Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    You tell ‘em BroHomo!
    lord knows I'm trying

Sorry but what are you tryna say?Whats your point?
    GrindrStone(D)