Page 54 of 87 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Emma had a level of malice that none of the Illuminati (except maybe Namor) possessed.
    Speaking of Namor, it seems that according to X-Men Grand Design (2018) by Ed Piskor, a big fuel source towards the irrational fear of mutants in the Marvel Universe came about because of him.

His Grand Design is its own thing. It's not canon. Cyclops blasting a construction site caught on live news is the actual canon originating point for anti-mutant hysteria. That's how Xavier found Scott. The FBI was investigating the news footage.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    His Grand Design is its own thing. It's not canon. Cyclops blasting a construction site caught on live news is the actual canon originating point for anti-mutant hysteria. That's how Xavier found Scott. The FBI was investigating the news footage.
    Well regardless of his own story being canon or not, the interesting thing for me is the point of Namor flooding New York, which not only has been shown as far back as Human Torch #5b, but has also been reinforced in much later stories such as Marvels and The Marvels Project. I definitely think that Namor’s attitude in general shouldn’t be ignored regardless how canon or whatever you want to call the progression of events in the Marvel Universe play out, because I think that no matter what, I’m sure it’s understandable enough to say that he has still had a big effect on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Well regardless of his own story being canon or not, the interesting thing for me is the point of Namor flooding New York, which not only has been shown as far back as Human Torch #5b, but has also been reinforced in much later stories such as Marvels and The Marvels Project. I definitely think that Namor’s attitude in general shouldn’t be ignored regardless how canon or whatever you want to call the progression of events in the Marvel Universe play out, because I think that no matter what, I’m sure it’s understandable enough to say that he has still had a big effect on it.
    The list of people who fueled anti-mutant hysteria is quite long: every 'super-villain' that appeared in the comics, every 'super-hero' that lost the control of their powers… Not to mention all the battles that caused collateral damages…

The mutants have become visible, more present as a source of worry, thanks to the development of audiovisual media.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Most people don't think of Namor as a mutant.

Heck, NAMOR usually doesn't think of Namor as a mutant.

His flooding of the city was back in WWII when mutants were barely a rumor at best and he himself wasn't identified as a mutant until after the X-men were formed (unless there's a retcon I'm missing somewhere.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    The list of people who fueled anti-mutant hysteria is quite long: every 'super-villain' that appeared in the comics, every 'super-hero' that lost the control of their powers… Not to mention all the battles that caused collateral damages…

The mutants have become visible, more present as a source of worry, thanks to the development of audiovisual media.
    Indeed as well, and I get the feeling this would play out rather differently if super powered mutants ever popped up in real life, both positively and negatively, but with the Marvel Universe as it is and how editors and writers in general tend to about things as far as I’ve seen, perhaps those sorts of details tend to get lost in the midst of extremes, like the acts of extremely genocidal human villains and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Most people don't think of Namor as a mutant.

Heck, NAMOR usually doesn't think of Namor as a mutant.

His flooding of the city was back in WWII when mutants were barely a rumor at best and he himself wasn't identified as a mutant until after the X-men were formed (unless there's a retcon I'm missing somewhere.)
    Ha that's exactly what I was thinking
    Indeed as well, and I get the feeling this would play out rather differently if super powered mutants ever popped up in real life, both positively and negatively, but with the Marvel Universe as it is and how editors and writers in general tend to about things as far as I’ve seen, perhaps those sorts of details tend to get lost in the midst of extremes, like the acts of extremely genocidal human villains and the like.
    Yeeeeah maybe but I meeeean I doubt itI can't tell you how many times I've met someone and become awkwardly apparent their preconceptions of me comes from BET, or a rap song/movie, etc
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Ha that's exactly what I was thinking
    Yeeeeah maybe but I meeeean I doubt itI can't tell you how many times I've met someone and become awkwardly apparent their preconceptions of me comes from BET, or a rap song/movie, etc
    And you end up disabusing them, I suppose, if their preconceptions are negative…

The fact is it's difficult to have a civilized conversation between people who are afraid for their life.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That's seems to be the noticeable constant both in real life and in Marvel Universe...ignorance (willful, deliberate and otherwise). And when mixed with hate and stupidity, well..."KRAKAAABOOM!!!"
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

And you end up disabusing them, I suppose, if their preconceptions are negative…

The fact is it's difficult to have a civilized conversation between people who are afraid for their life.
    Not just those but 'positive ones' as well

I was a mere freshmen in highschool when my friends proved that whole Black Guys are bigger Is a myth
    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That's seems to be the noticeable constant both in real life and in Marvel Universe...ignorance (willful, deliberate and otherwise). And when mixed with hate and stupidity, well..."KRAKAAABOOM!!!"
    lol.
    Noice.
    Last edited by BroHomo; 05-02-2020 at 05:34 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Given my observations about how people react to simply seeing someone more muscular than they are? Very, very badly. People will be like "I'm just looking out for my own welfare" and pre-emptively attack others just for being there. Why? because man is the real monster.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Given my observations about how people react to simply seeing someone more muscular than they are? Very, very badly. People will be like "I'm just looking out for my own welfare" and pre-emptively attack others just for being there. Why? because man is the real monster.
    Well, I guess once again I say that going by that, that there’s no hope for anyone and that there’s no good reason to keep on living, is there?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

From my personal observations and experience as a 5ft 6inch "twink" reactions to bigger, more muscular men and women are more often than not very very favourable. Yes, my first reaction is to smother them...In kisses and hugs
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Lizards are sunbathing on the walls… until I come and they go away.
    I don't want to harm them but, how could they know? I'm just much, much bigger than they are.
    I don't think being afraid of someone stronger than yourself is particularly a human thing: it is included in our 'reptilian brain'. In a civilized environment, we usually assume that people will behave.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

It´s ok to be afraid, what´s not ok is letting ourselves hurt others because we are afraid, we have our rational brain for a reason and that´s to keep our impulses balanced.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022