Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    GOD I hope that's not the version of Laura we get. While she had some badass moments she was just written horribly in Disassembled.
    Seconded. I'm a bit worried about Laura's portrayal. But finally next week she shows up, I've missed her.

BANNED

Said it before, say it again: Betsy is unique in that she's long been one of the few openly sexually liberated and aggressive X-women, and with the exception of the Scott silliness was never shamed for it. She almost robbed the cradle with Doug Ramsey. She makes eyes at both Alex and Piotr in the steamy Outback. She tossed staid '90s Republican Warren and his domesticating ways for hot piece of Hindu ass Neal. She flirted openly with Sam Guthrie following the Decimation. And then there's the Fantomex triad. I've always admired them going all in with this aspect of the character while never writing her as a nympho. She is written re: romance the way male heroes or antiheroes are written, and that's very rare especially in a mainstream franchise.

(Please note I did not and will not mention fucking Sabretooth)
    Last edited by powerpax; 11-08-2019 at 04:44 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    I loved Psi-War but hated that it retconned Betsy into having an inferiority complex relative to Jean. She became kinda whiney after Revanche was introduced and her story took a nosedive.
    IIRC Seagle(?) intended to kill her during that story. That was how far her stock fell post-Claremont, reduced to the thong piece of ass for Warren to sex up. I was always beyond baffled by that pairing - he was so not her type. It wasn't until UXF that it worked for me, and there it was meant to end.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Said it before, say it again: Betsy is unique in that she's long been one of the few openly sexually liberated and aggressive X-women, and with the exception of the Scott silliness was never shamed for it. She almost robbed the cradle with Doug Ramsey. She makes eyes at both Alex and Piotr in the steamy Outback. She tossed staid '90s Republican Warren and his domesticating ways for hot piece of Hindu ass Neal. She flirted openly with Sam Guthrie following the Decimation. And then there's the Fantomex triad. I've always admired them going all in with this aspect of the character while never writing her as a nympho. She is written re: romance the way male heroes or antiheroes are written, and that's very rare especially in a mainstream franchise.
    KrakoAmen to all of this. But also, and I know you're probably going to disagree with me on that, Remender made her pathetic and weak. She was a traumatized slobbering mess for more then half that run. For Warren and Fantomex. Lmao.

BANNED

KrakoAmen to all of this. But also, and I know you're probably going to disagree with me on that, Remender made her pathetic and weak. She was a traumatized slobbering mess for more then half that run. For Warren and Fantomex. Lmao.
    I thought it got overegged at times, but I understood her trauma. She had a long history with Warren who she'd betrayed more than once, and then came the whole Dark Angel thing. She'd loved him even if they were never going to work.

BANNED

I thought it got overegged at times, but I understood her trauma. She had a long history with Warren who she'd betrayed more than once, and then came the whole Dark Angel thing. She'd loved him even if they were never going to work.
    Did she though? Have a long history with him? That relationship never felt organic, they went out on one date, had zero chemistry and then were somehow expected to be the next Jott/Romy with none of the charisma which writers clearly noticed since they were utterly uninterested in exploring them as a couple. Their most memorable interaction was Warren being jealous of Maggott of all people. Then unceremoniously dropped, they looked at each other once in Second Coming and Remender rolled with that and pretended they had some epic romance. It was a fling. It should have stayed just that imo.

IIRC Seagle(?) intended to kill her during that story. That was how far her stock fell post-Claremont, reduced to the thong piece of ass for Warren to sex up. I was always beyond baffled by that pairing - he was so not her type. It wasn't until UXF that it worked for me, and there it was meant to end.
    What was her type? Warren was the first and only man she had been with upon joining the X-line up to that point. The little flirtations she had with Doug and Scott went nowhere. On paper Warren and Betsy made sense as they had similar backgrounds in terms of upbringing and more recent developments in terms of having their bodies and minds messed up

Did she though? Have a long history with him? That relationship never felt organic, they went out on one date, had zero chemistry and then were somehow expected to be the next Jott/Romy with none of the charisma which writers clearly noticed since they were utterly uninterested in exploring them as a couple. Their most memorable interaction was Warren being jealous of Maggott of all people. Then unceremoniously dropped, they looked at each other once in Second Coming and Remender rolled with that and pretended they had some epic romance. It was a fling. It should have stayed just that imo.
    They started dating in 1994 and UXF happened in 2010, so yeah thats a long history, even if they did break up in 2001. It was by far her longest relationship. It was more than a fling. They were living together away from the X-men for years
    Last edited by Havok83; 11-08-2019 at 05:00 PM.

BANNED

Did she though? Have a long history with him? That relationship never felt organic, they went out on one date, had zero chemistry and then were somehow expected to be the next Jott/Romy with none of the charisma which writers clearly noticed since they were utterly uninterested in exploring them as a couple.
    Because TPTB cared little about him and even less about her. But yes, they were together in a relationship I hated for years. Living together, semi-retired from the X-Men, the whole shebang. It wasn't a fling as much as I'd wished it would've been.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    What was her type? Warren was the first and only man she had been with upon joining the X-line up to that point. The little flirtations she had with Doug and Scott went nowhere. On paper Warren and Betsy made sense as they had similar backgrounds in terms of upbringing and more recent developments in terms of having their bodies and minds messed up
    On paper, maybe. In terms of character? IMO far from it. He was always too uptight and establishment for her, at least back then. Latter day Warren (when sane) is considerably more interesting. I'd still skew him more towards the suave wheeler-dealer type a la AoA.

BANNED

They started dating in 1994 and UXF happened in 2010, so yeah thats a long history, even if they did break up in 2001. It was by far her longest relationship. It was more than a fling. They were living together away from the X-men for years
    The fact they were so similar is exactly why they (and Romy) sucked together. Rules of opposite and everything.

They were together for years but most of it was off panel. And on panel their relationship was pretty uneventful, getting almost killed by Sabretooth is the most they dis together. Compare and contrast with the highs and lows of ScottxJean, KittyxPeter or even StormxForge.

Im not being a hater, I like Psylocke despite her flaws. But that ship was ughh. Not everyone needs to have a Ross and Rachel thing.

The fact they were so similar is exactly why they (and Romy) sucked together. Rules of opposite and everything.

They were together for years but most of it was off panel. And on panel their relationship was pretty uneventful, getting almost killed by Sabretooth is the most they dis together. Compare and contrast with the highs and lows of ScottxJean, KittyxPeter or even StormxForge.

Im not being a hater, I like Psylocke despite her flaws. But that ship was ughh. Not everyone needs to have a Ross and Rachel thing.
    LOL...Kitty and Peter were treated as some great love despite having even less history as a couple than Warren and Betsy until recently

(Please note I did not and will not mention fucking Sabretooth)
    And Cable clones ! I live my Psylocke
    A picture would last longer darling...

LOL...Kitty and Peter were treated as some great love despite having even less history as a couple than Warren and Betsy until recently
    Kitty and Piotr were basically nostalgia product, both were fine with other partners.

I'm not big on Betsy and Warren, but they were each other most important relationships. It's impossible to deny it

BANNED

The only Kitty/Peter I recognize is a chainsmoker residing at the Braddock Academy.

BANNED

I hate the pairing but they were very well weitten, at least Kitty was. Their breakup issue is probably one of the best issues of XMen ever. The story arc where Kitty breaks into Baxter Building and then agrees to marry Caliban in order to save Peters life is a classic. They werent some grand love story at the time and they never should have been but they perfectly captured the feeling of adolescent love.

One of the best aspects of Claremont relationships is they had an end point. Now every character is stuck in an infinte loop of always coming back to that ONE classic relationship over and over which is both unrealistic and uninteresting.