Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

there are some things I didn't like about Shooter (the Ms. Marvel pregancy issue for one) but speaking as one of the few here that read those comics in the 1980's, I thought it made for a fun and cohesive Marvel Universe. It's hard to describe but for example the first Secret Wars occured during his tenure. And instead of "putting the toys back in the box", it lead to some changes that effected the SW participants. Just think about Black Suit Spiderman for one. Granted, his explanation for having Doom on Battleworld was a bit dicey since his physical body was blown to bits in Fantastic Four #260. I don't know if John Byrne was totally on board with that. But he does lead to a resolution (where a Doombot is NOT used :-) )when the Beyonder appears and Byrne addresses the issue of Doom being on Battleworld towards the end of his Fantastic Four. One wonders if anyone would really bother with that today.

Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    there are some things I didn't like about Shooter (the Ms. Marvel pregancy issue for one) but speaking as one of the few here that read those comics in the 1980's, I thought it made for a fun and cohesive Marvel Universe. It's hard to describe but for example of the first Secret Wars occured during his tenure. And instead of "putting the toys back in the box", it lead to some changes that effected the SW participants. Just think about Black Suit Spiderman for one. Granted, his explanation for having Doom on Battleworld was a bit dicey since his physical body was blown to bits in Fantastic Four #260. I don't know if John Byrne was totally on board with that. But he does lead to a resolution (where a Doombot is NOT used :-) )when the Beyonder appears and Byrne addresses the issue of Doom being on Battleworld towards the end of his Fantastic Four. One wonders if anyone would really bother with that today.
    Exactly.

The idea of continuity being restrictive and limiting storytelling doesn't have any evidence in support of it. The idea of no continuity and no integration allowing writers more freedom likewise has no evidence.

The Quesada regime (which mostly has continued after him under EIC successors who have far less power and say than he, while he was CCO or now, Executive water carrier or something after Feige took his job) basically had a weakly integrated continuity while also restricting readers.

I mean I like Cantwell's series and he deserved to tell his story without readers wondering whether Doom in that story is continuous to the Doom of Savage Avengers and ASM (and I speak of someone who likes the idea of Doom in ASM). It spoils the suspense if you know obviously that nothing consequential will happen there. Sure on one level as readers you might know that but the publisher/editor has a job to pretend and make-believe that it will, the absence of that shows a lack of conviction.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think and again speaking as someone who actually bought the Fantastic Four, Avengers, etc. when Stan and Jack were still writing and drawing the books, continuity is what made Marvel different from other comics, particularly DC. How and when do people think the Marvel Universe was created for cryin' out loud? Again, I'm going to use Doom as an example. At the end of the arc where Doom steals the power of the Surfer, we just see this blinding light to signal that Doom has fallen for Reed's trap and his hit the barrier Galactus put around the Earth to keep the Surfer from escaping his punishment. Doom next appears in Daredevil 36-38, again written by Stan Lee. Stan also did something different for those days....he tells the reader where Doom's story last left off in a caption box. This will direct the reader to the source if they want to read the FF story. Now that was a back then since it was hard to get back issues from your Rexall drugs or wherever a comics spinner rack was. But looking at that today? This is a great cue to new readers to go lk up that issue. As for myself, I really miss those footnotes today's comics

Then we get the continuation of what happened

[