Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    People are actually wishing for people to get fired is funny to me. You’d think they bought harm to an individual or something. But nope, they made a decision for a fictional character that someone didn’t like. Funny. No offense.
    People often say this and it makes me wonder how old they are. Do they not know how business works? Thousands of people get fired every day and the threshold isn’t “harming someone”. More often than not, it’s just “providing an unsatisfactory performance”.

Now people may differ on how unsatisfactory Didio & co. have been but stakeholders (which is what readers are. After all: no readers; no comics) who think they’re driving the company into the ground are well within their rights to call for their replacement.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacula View Post
    People often say this and it makes me wonder how old they are. Do they not know how business works? Thousands of people get fired every day and the threshold isn’t “harming someone”. More often than not, it’s just “providing an unsatisfactory performance”.

Now people may differ on how unsatisfactory Didio & co. have been but stakeholders (which is what readers are. After all: no readers; no comics) who think they’re driving the company into the ground are well within their rights to call for their replacement.
    My age is irrelevant. But i'm not going to act as if fan entitlement and folks being bias against this guy don't play a huge role in this. I'm not going to call for the firing of someone every time they do something i don't like.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

People are actually wishing for people to get fired is funny to me. You’d think they bought harm to an individual or something. But nope, they made a decision for a fictional character that someone didn’t like. Funny. No offense.
    I find it tragic when someone uses the "did they hurt you" equivalency because it supposes that no creative, financial or ethical reason for desiring someone be removed from a position is valid. The role of DC's top brass should be to foster and grow their brands to reach as many new consumers as possible. This editorial regime is focused on fostering some and kneecapping any that encroach on their success instead of developing those as well. Hot Topic forced DC's hand with Harley Quinn, but there's no excuse for Didio constantly knee-capping Nightwing, Wally and so on. But I suppose they're DC's IPs to devalue and that, as fans, we should support such endeavors.

No offense, but that's a foolish notion. Didio has had more than enough turns at the wheel. He was old blood ten years ago, has was Harris. This isn't a knee-jerk reaction, they've been at this a long time. I throw Lee in there because he strikes me as a bit of a yes man to the former, which is not a good voice to have at the top. DC needs a strong voice and new direction, one that's a far cry from villain months every few years where we relive "the day evil won" and butchering supporting casts to prop up the main hero who still doesn't have a direction once all is said and done.

I'm sure Dan is all well and nice to a lot of people, and I wish the dude no ill will or harm. I hope he finds an equally lucrative career elsewhere, maybe even in DC (he certainly is focused on reaching new markets and that's very important), but he needs to have zero control over creative endeavors. He's a source of toxin deep in the creative well that needs to be rooted out. If 5G flops, I think DC is probably going to be in a downward spiral forever. You can't have three reboots/relaunches in one decade and pretend you're a safe hobby for new readers.
    Last edited by Robanker; 11-08-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'd love to see new characters getting developed and starring and made awesome - but not by riding the coattails of the characters who made the names. Don't make a new person Batman - make a new character as big as Batman. The old guard earned their fame and made their own names and I'd like to see new ones do the same instead of glomming on the pre-existing fame of other characters. It really does give the sense TPTB (and some fans) think the characters don't have the goods to become "famous" on their own merit and displays a lack of faith in the characters. It's a much over-used shortcut, IMO (like how many spin-off characters they create instead of making new, independent ones).
    In a perfect world that'd be ideal but they won't get a chance, they get cut down too early. The old guard has had decades to get it right, with top tier talent backing them. Thats why new characters come in riding on coattails, you get Harley, Deadpool, Miles, Kamala, Jessica Cruz and X-23 instead of DC's New Age (Sideways, Damage etc...)
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    John Stewart headlined Green Lantern Corps when Geoff Johns left, and it was the first time he headlined anything since Green Lantern: Mosaic. I believe there was a MASSIVE 20 year gap between the two series. Furthermore, the company tried to kill him right before he headlined GLC. I suspect the ONLY reason he headlined GLC was to mitigate the push back the company was getting when the decision to kill him leaked. This was all extremely strange considering it was going on while the character maintained a very high profile on television, where he basically built a completely fresh fanbase with no help from DC whatsoever.

None of that was "because it just happened that way." Companies do this type of stuff on purpose when there is a conflicting version of a character they don't like or want to push. I don't keep up with this, but I've been told numerous times that Marvel really doesesn't like Monica Rambeau because that's not the Captain Marvel that Marvel wants. And we all know the Wally West story.
    Well that was depressing to read
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Amazing Member

My age is irrelevant. But i'm not going to act as if fan entitlement and folks being bias against this guy don't play a huge role in this. I'm not going to call for the firing of someone every time they do something i don't like.
    Good for you. That’s your position. Other people prefer to be more proactive when they see a problem. Good for them too.

Also, congratulations on psychically knowing that “fan entitlement” (whatever that is) and “bias” are the motivators for people to be sick of the Didio regime and not, oh maybe the faults that they’ve seen with their own eyes over the last 17 YEARS(!!!) that he’s been in editorial there.

BANNED

5g does sound a lot like it's retreading old ground that Marvel already trod with All New All Different so it's success does seem doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    The last thing DC needs is new characters. Nobody was interested in New Age of Heroes because fan favorite characters ain't showing up or getting any good treatment. If they dont show up fans ain't buying anything. Comic fans are picky as hell and honestly I dont blame them.

The X-Men back on top is something though.
    Who are those fan favorites ? The older character which already failed to make it ?

DC seriously needs more new characters, not older one which are bungled by older fans who will lose their **** if they aren't presented exactly as they were twenty + years ago.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Who are those fan favorites ? The older character which already failed to make it ?

DC seriously needs more new characters, not older one which are bungled by older fans who will lose their **** if they aren't presented exactly as they were twenty + years ago.
    LOL! As if characters who have been propping up a company for 50+ years could be described as “failed to make it”.

Dang I pretty much dipped from the DC books after 'Heroes in Crisis' really ticked me off and books like 'Batman' were really underwhelming but I didn't know they were doing this bad. They really need to do something and with new people in charge. We pretty much know what Didio and co. plans will be and we know the boost will only be 2 years long at most instead of a more sustained success. New blood is the only thing that can really change this around

Also Marvel's roster of writers at the moment is absolutely amazing. DC feels subpar at the moment especially with its big names (King, Snyder, Bendis) putting out average work at best in their flagship titles

So I guess the myth that a “big name” writer on the cover sells books, is kinda busted. DC is currently publishing comics written by Geoff Johns (though they’re always quite late), Morrison, Snyder, Warren Ellis, G. Willow Wilson, Greg Rucka, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Matt Fraction, and Bendis. All are on a scale from well known to legend of the industry, but none of their books are lighting up the charts.

I really hope DC doesn’t go the Marvel route and start restarting books every few month with NEW #1 ISSUES!
    Last edited by Robotman; 11-09-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    So I guess the myth that a “big name” writer on the cover sells books, is kinda busted. DC is currently publishing comics written by Geoff Johns (though they’re always quite late), Morrison, Snyder, Warren Ellis, G. Willow Wilson, Greg Rucka, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Matt Fraction, and Bendis. All are on a scale from well known to legend of the industry, but none of their books are lighting up the charts.

I really hope DC doesn’t go the Marvel route and start restarting books every few month with NEW #1 ISSUES!
    Great point. It seems to me that DC does not know how to capitalize on their roster. DeConnick and Fraction need to write A list books.

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    Great point. It seems to me that DC does not know how to capitalize on their roster. DeConnick and Fraction need to write A list books.
    I mean, DeConnick's writing Aquaman who's one of the Big Seven and just came off a successful movie, so I don't think it's accurate to say she's not writing an A-list book.

Jimmy is the kind of book I think Fraction would want to write.

DC is in serious trouble. If G5 bombs I can see them (comic book division) shuttering.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    DC is in serious trouble. If G5 bombs I can see them (comic book division) shuttering.
    That’s what stupid about this with DC. Few of the hardcore classic collectors want this, like myself.
    Focus on better stories for your existing characters. Quit shoving political agendas at us by changing established existing characters. These 5G didn’t earn the right to take their spot.
    So they think by doing this it’s going to INCREASE sales????
    Are they stupid? I’m not spending a dime on these replacements.
    I want my original big 3 plus Barry and Hal etc etc.
    And there are many, many others from over at MMW where I hang out 75% of the time, that feel and post the same feelings.
    Furthermore, continually soliciting new classic Omnis and chunky classic tpbs only to cancel is just idiotic!
    Once sales crash, what’s their plan to generate new $$$ after they ticked off many of us???
    In my eyes, DC is the titanic right now with the ice bergs in site....
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....