Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marvel Superhero teams break out characters?

I don't know the Marvel Universe as well as the DC, but I'm doing a little writing exercise I need help with:

Who are the break-out characters from Marvel's Superhero teams?

Below is a list of teams. I wrote some characters I think are the break-outs. If there is a question mark after the name, I'm not certain, it's a guess. If there's no question mark, I'm pretty sure of my answer. If there's JUST a question mark, I've got no clue.

Thanks for the help killing time at work. If I forgot any team too, please let me know and list their break-out character too.

Agents of Atlas: Gorilla Man

Alpha/Beta/Omega Flight: I seem to remember it being Puck when I was young, but seems to have been overshadowed by Northstar.

Avengers: Hawkeye (not in the movie universe ironically)

Big Hero Six: ?

Fantastic Four: Thing

Avengers Academy: Mettle?

Champions: ?

The Crew: ?

Defenders: ? I do remember Gargoyle got a mini-series.

Eternals: ?

Excaliber: Pete Wisdom?

Exiles: Morph?

Future Foundation: ?

Great Lakes Avengers: Squirrel Girl and maybe Mr. I before her?

Guardians of the Galaxy: Rocket and Groot

Imperial Guard: ?

Invaders: ?

Loners: ?

New Mutants: ?

New Warriors: Night Thrasher?

New X-men: ?

Nextwave: Machine Man?

Power Pack: ?

Runaways: Sister Grimm/Nico?

Secret Warriors:?

Slingers: Dusk?

Squadron Supreme: ?

Teen Brigade: America Chavez

Thunderbolts: Songbird?

West Caost Avengers/Force Works: ?

X-Force: Cable (unless Deadpool counts)

X-men: Wolverine

X-Statix: Doop

Young Avengers: ? Cassie Lang, maybe?
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Big Hero Six: Baymax

Champions: Viv Vision

Eternals: Thanos

Exiles: Blink

Imperial Guard: Gladiator

New Mutants: Magik

New X-men: Emma Frost

Nextwave: Elsa Bloodstone

Power Pack: Julie Power AKA Lightspeed

Secret Warriors: Quake

Squadron Supreme: Hyperion

Thunderbolts: Songbird

X-Force: Cable

X-men: Wolverine

X-Statix: Doop

Young Avengers: Wiccan

IMHO

Avengers Academy's breakout is probably actually Hazmat. She's the one from the original six who stayed in focus longest, appearing throughout Avengers Arena and Avengers Undercover. Mettle was killed when Arena started. Hazmat is about to appear in Captain Marvel.

Champions, yes, Viv, definitely. She got most of the character development in Waid's run, as the others all had other books. Also, Vision early on had narration saying she would die young, implying she wouldn't survive the series. I've always thought that the ending was changed to keep her and Sparky alive, which means she was a breakout before Champions even started!

Exiles and Thunderbolts are definitely Blink and Songbird respectively. Blink's been in every team since the Exiles were brought into the Marvel Universe, and Songbird ended up joining the New Avengers.

West Coast Avengers/Force Works would be Spider-Woman II, Julia Carpenter. She was prominent in the Iron Man cartoon too, staying on when the rest of Force Works disbanded (though she really morphed into Pepper Potts at that point). I would've said Mockingbird, except that she died there and only came back in Secret Invasion two decades later.

Cassie Lang is the breakout from A-Next, not the Young Avengers. The fact she was a pre-existing character is why she's the best known YA member. I'd say the YA's own breakouts are Wiccan and Hulkling.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

People are saying Wiccan is the breakout star from Young Avengers and... God, I wish lol. Kate Bishop it's the real one. She had a bunch of duo/solo books regularly for a while and after that got cancelled she soon enough got on a team book that she's the leader of(with a cast that includes: Her best friend, her boyfriend and her mentor/partner). Meanwhile, Billy has only been in one book since the last volume of Young Avengers, that has been cancelled since 2016.

Uh - he's been in TWO. New Avengers is one, the other is Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme, as you should know. As for Kate, didn't her breakout come much later? She wasn't the most popular Young Avenger... then the Hawkeye series by Fraction happened. That's the series she was the breakout star of.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    Avengers Academy: Mettle?
    Biggest OOF.

Nextwave's breakout characters were Elsa and Monica, but only years later around Marvel NOW! when people who read Nextwave and were fans of it just started working for Marvel like Ewing, Thompson, Hopeless, etc. Since Monica had years of Avengers history, we'll give it to Elsa for being totally defined by Nextwave specifically. It's also influenced every Machine Man and Boom-Boom appearance since, even though they show up a little less regularly (SAD). And the Captain showed up once.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Hazmat for Avengers Academy.

And Nico for Runaways easily

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Uh - he's been in TWO. New Avengers is one, the other is Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme, as you should know. As for Kate, didn't her breakout come much later? She wasn't the most popular Young Avenger... then the Hawkeye series by Fraction happened. That's the series she was the breakout star of.
    That was an AU version. Are you gonna go around correcting people with "Actually, Old Man Logan..." whenever they say Wolverine was dead and not in the X-Men for a while? lol.

And the title says "Superhero teams break out characters", so I assumed it just meant a character that started on a certain team, not that the breakout had to happen on that team's run exactly. Maybe OP meant it like you're saying, but that's not clear.

Extraordinary Member

You could make a case for Vision as the breakout of the Avengers, particularly after Tom King's series finally gave him some solo success. He was considered enough of a breakout character that in the '70s he represented the comic in its corner box.

Hawkeye is as good a choice as any, though, considering that he got to star in the comic's first big spinoff (West Coast Avengers).

Speaking of which, Wonder Man was the breakout character of "West Coast Avengers," since it got him an ongoing solo series.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

For Defenders, Valkyrie is one who has had a ton of staying power and recognition and pretty much wasn't a character before the Defenders. I think Hellcat came into her own in that book, but that's a more complicated choice.

New Mutants - I'd say Cannonball. At least recently, he's been used much more and he also has his time on X-Force. Alternatively, Magik would be a very good choice.

Secret Warriors is Quake.

For the West Coast Avengers, I think Julia Carpenter is a good choice. I could see Wonder Man, although he had time in the Avengers beforehand so it's hard to say he wasn't known by that point.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    People are saying Wiccan is the breakout star from Young Avengers and... God, I wish lol. Kate Bishop it's the real one. She had a bunch of duo/solo books regularly for a while and after that got cancelled she soon enough got on a team book that she's the leader of(with a cast that includes: Her best friend, her boyfriend and her mentor/partner). Meanwhile, Billy has only been in one book since the last volume of Young Avengers, that has been cancelled since 2016.
    I guess it depends on what we're defining as breakout here... if we're talking about breakout character in all of Marvel's publication, then Kate was definitely the breakout of the YA. Now, if we're talking about the breakout character within the specific audience of a team, one could argue that Billy is/was the breakout for a lot of fans. I mean, take the Young Avengers Appreciation Thread here from CBR as an example, he wins at the poll, with Kate coming in second.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    You could make the argument America Chavez was a breakout star, but Gabby Rivera ground up and excreted her character to the point where everyone, including adaptations, ignore the solo.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    You could make the argument America Chavez was a breakout star, but Gabby Rivera ground up and excreted her character to the point where everyone, including adaptations, ignore the solo.
    Regardless of how people feel about MAC's solo book, I don't think it made her less of a breakout star. She still got to be a part of a major team (Ultimates) during that time, and now she's on an animated franchise getting her own merch, while appearing on an Avengers team in the comics not too long after her book ended. She's doing better than a lot of other characters out there.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, if a solo comic fails it doesn't mean they weren't the breakout character of that comic, it just means they didn't become a big solo star.

Invaders: Winter Soldier

Sinister Six: Otto Octavius

X-Factor: Madrox