Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    If the JSA comes back I could see them using the kids from the show as the POV characters. They investigate the dissapearance of the JSA after learning their connection to them or something.

Unfortunately I don't see them getting individual solos or miniseries but maybe DCZoom/Ink would be a better home for them.
    I mean Doomsday Clock did bring some of the kids back, such as Beth and Yolanda, and with most of the original JSA members either having a legacy replacement, being close to 90/100 years old, or are dead I could see the next JSA series starring or focusing mainly on the legacy’s, but with the elder statesmen of the team serving alongside as well. I’ve been saying this elsewhere but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Khalid come over to the JSA once it’s back.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Beside the first three recruits, coming right out of the later joiners of Infinity Inc.
    Anyone one else get the TV show is taking some further character cues from Infinity Inc.
    As we see Henry King Jr. (Brainwave Jr.), having issues with Yolanda(soon to be Wildcat) and played as an antagonist to her.

If they follow the beats here, if he turns on his father, and eventually joins the team as Brainwave Jr., that same antagonism set-up and mistrust will probably remain between Yolanda and Henry King Jr.

Posted after the first episode.^

This is somewhat how it's playing out.
    Although sadly for Yolanda they are kind of flipping the script, and making her come off as the aggressor now, and sympathy spinning him as victim whose suffered the most.
    Although they are both in a tough place. I like Yolanda's feral defense of her friends, yet contrasted with what Courtney wants to achieve, not a great look for Yolanda'a character this episode, i'm afraid some viewers will turn on her.

Jump to 0:45
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-14-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Although sadly for Yolanda they are kind of flipping the script, and making her come off as the aggressor now, and sympathy spinning him as victim whose suffered the most.
    Although they are both in a tough place. I like Yolanda's feral defense of her friends, yet contrasted with what Courtney wants to achieve, not a great look for Yolanda'a character this episode, i'm afraid some viewers will turn on her.
    Way I saw it, and from how Henry acted, he got his own views of people being monsters, turned right back on him; he saw himself as the monster.
    Seemed more like Yolanda going out of her way threatening to kill him, and tear him up, while he's getting the "you really think I should die for what I did" i'm the victim sympathy narrative.
    Which makes Yolanda look like the aggressor.
    They totally flipped it on her.

She's even being blamed for pushing him towards only seeing hate in others.
    Not sure if that will make her more interesting/complicated, or just completley unsympathetic.

Especially in light of how Courtney wants to reach out to him.
    If they are playing the redeeming Brainwave Jr. is what's right and what maters narrative (which they are), then Yolanda's looking like the one against it.
    It's not an easy one or the other is right here, and he's reading her darkest deepest and conflicting emotions, which does make it interesting,

"You can read thoughts, read mine; I should slash you right here and watch you bleed to death"

Although she fights when her thoughts of love and being betrayed expose her.

I am curious to see where her character and any lasting empathy (if there is any left) for her land?
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-15-2020 at 07:43 PM.

Most of the episode is appropriately being discussed in the Stargirl threads.
    Episode over all was terrific, one of the best.
    As for Yolanda, she did have a few good moments.
    They managed to flip it again and have both .Henry King Jr and Yolanda come out quit sympathetic (although not without sacrifice)

Yolanda's defense of her friends (she has every reason to distrust Henry Jr,) manages to come off as noble, and she really holds to that in the fight, where she cuts loose, defending Courtney, jumping from pillar to pillar, and helps Courtney get her staff back.

The schism with Henry Jr. plays out well and was really well written. He is absolutely redeemed, and gets his moment as one of the heroes.
    And Yolanda sees that in him, and fights (they all do) to save him too.
    Won't spoil it, but in the end it's obvious allot of her talk was bravado (and self preservation instinct), but she never stopped loving him.

Last edited by Güicho; 08-15-2020 at 06:31 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Most of the episode is appropriately being discussed in the Stargirl threads.
    Episode over all was terrific, one of the best.
    As for Yolanda, she did have a few good moments.
    They managed to flip it again and have both .Henry King Jr and Yolanda come out quit sympathetic (although not without sacrifice)

Yolanda's defense of her friends manages to come off as noble, and she really holds to that in the fight, where she cuts loose, jumping from pillar to pillar, and helps Courtney get her staff back.

The schism with Henry Jr. plays out well and was really well written. He is absolutely redeemed, and gets his moment as one of the heroes.
    And Yolanda sees that in him, and fights (they all do) to save him too.
    Won't spoil it, but in the end it's obvious allot of her talk was bravado (and self preservation instinct), but she never stopped loving him.

Yeah, to be honest they all played their parts very well and it worked a lot better than I thought it would. Really impressed with the cast on Stargirl and Yvette is absolutely no exception.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd love a Yolanda WILDCAT comic, maybe a 6 issue mini.

Astonishing Member

It's a shame that Beth and Yolanda got killed off -- especially in that lame Eclipso series. With Infinity Inc. having been cancelled, they really had no place in the DCU. At the time, II was cancelled, I actually preferred it to New Teen Titans -- which was in rapid decline after Perez departed.

Wildcat II really had a great debut in Crisis, but as with the other characters who debuted there -- most went nowhere.

Season is over, there won't be much of Yolanda for a while, seeing as she's still not (as far as I know) appearing in comics anywhere.

Spoiler if you are planning to catch up with the show, don't read.
    After fading into the background for a few episodes, Yolanda gets a few moments and an interesting season closing
    A few good fight scenes, a great save, and some interesting character drama.

With Rick Tyler determined to kill Grundy, Yolanda and him debate about weather it's right to Kill, she feels it's not, and he sort of mocks her for that.
    In the end it's Rick who holds back chooses not to kill, allowing the mindless beast that is Grundy to live, essentially saving himself form becoming that (at least in Yolanda's eyes) .
    On the other-hand, ironically Yolanda, goes a different path.

All the characters have lost something in this fight, she might have lost the most as to who she once was.
    Once hopeful, sweet, a bit naive, with everything going for her, she is now pushed to her darkest place.
    Brainwave plays on that, impersonating Henry trying to get her to reveal her friends, he allows her to believe Henry is alive and saying the things she likely wanted to hear most.
    Although she sees through it, or knows she's being naive, recognizes she's being manipulated again. Henry changed, and died fighting for the team, so why is he focused on her alone now?
    She realizes this can't be him, and has to let him go ...
    ... that does not end well for Brainwave.

Having to kill (although it's for her team, and understandably a greater good,) sadly puts her into a pretty dark place, and you can tell it's impacted her starting to haunt her, by the end.
    Or is it, she's discovering who she really is?

This is kind of left hanging out there.....
    With that, and the next seasons villain reveal, she'll also likely be the one most susceptible.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-14-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    It's a shame that Beth and Yolanda got killed off -- especially in that lame Eclipso series. .
    Not sure which incarnation of Eclipso they'll choose, but ironically that's who was just revealed for season 2

And we know how that series ended for Yolanda and Beth (who really deserves her own appreciation thread) .

Yes it's great! Actually it's the Bronze to 80's gen that was all about building and introducing new characters, (see New X-Men (New Teen Titans) actually two strong women of color here) and had them run alongside their predecessors.
    It's the eXtreme 90's that used them for pure shook value canon fodder, and killed her.
    They took out the new Dr. Midnight (Beth Chapel) in the same horrible purely for shock - bloody strike.

As far as how her and Ted will be used on the upcoming show, I am curious to see what they are doing.
    Hopefully next season they fare better against Eclipso than they did in the comics here. LOL!
    And both Yolanda and Beth start appearing in comics again.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-14-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    It's a shame that Beth and Yolanda got killed off -- especially in that lame Eclipso series. With Infinity Inc. having been cancelled, they really had no place in the DCU. At the time, II was cancelled, I actually preferred it to New Teen Titans -- which was in rapid decline after Perez departed.

Wildcat II really had a great debut in Crisis, but as with the other characters who debuted there -- most went nowhere.
    Those deaths always struck me as especially stupid and spiteful at the same time.

"Lets attack at night! Sunlight being his only weakness!"

Guh...

Season is over, there won't be much of Yolanda for a while, seeing as she's still not (as far as I know) appearing in comics anywhere.

Spoiler if you are planning to catch up with the show, don't read.
    After fading into the background for a few episodes, Yolanda gets a few moments and an interesting season closing
    A few good fight scenes, a great save, and some interesting character drama.

With Rick Tyler determined to kill Grundy, Yolanda and him debate about weather it's right to Kill, she feels it's not, and he sort of mocks her for that.
    In the end it's Rick who holds back chooses not to kill, allowing the mindless beast that is Grundy to live, essentially saving himself form becoming that (at least in Yolanda's eyes) .
    On the other-hand, ironically Yolanda, goes a different path.

All the characters have lost something in this fight, she might have lost the most as to who she once was.
    Once hopeful, sweet, a bit naive, with everything going for her, she is now pushed to her darkest place.
    Brainwave plays on that, impersonating Henry trying to get her to reveal her friends, he allows her to believe Henry is alive and saying the things she likely wanted to hear most.
    Although she sees through it, or knows she's being naive, recognizes she's being manipulated again. Henry changed, and died fighting for the team, so why is he focused on her alone now?
    She realizes this can't be him, and has to let him go ...
    ... that does not end well for Brainwave.

Having to kill (although it's for her team, and understandably a greater good,) sadly puts her into a pretty dark place, and you can tell it's impacted her starting to haunt her, by the end.
    Or is it, she's discovering who she really is?

This is kind of left hanging out there.....
    With that, and the next seasons villain reveal, she'll also likely be the one most susceptible.
    It will be interesting to see where her story goes. However, Brainwave had it coming and I cheered at his demise.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    It will be interesting to see where her story goes. However, Brainwave had it coming and I cheered at his demise.
    Man. I would have but his actor sold the redemption story and his plea at the end made me sorry to see him go. I think that kid could have really pulled that part off and--given a long redemption arc-- won everyone over.

But enough about that. I'm glad people are responding well to Yolanda. Flash Gordon's right, the time is perfect for a six issue mini reintroducing Yolanda with Ted as a reluctant mentor. Rather than his son, I really wish they just retconned her death during Infinite Crisis and had her be the younger Wildcat in the JSA relaunch that followed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Man. I would have but his actor sold the redemption story and his plea at the end made me sorry to see him go. I think that kid could have really pulled that part off and--given a long redemption arc-- won everyone over.

But enough about that. I'm glad people are responding well to Yolanda. Flash Gordon's right, the time is perfect for a six issue mini reintroducing Yolanda with Ted as a reluctant mentor. Rather than his son, I really wish they just retconned her death during Infinite Crisis and had her be the younger Wildcat in the JSA relaunch that followed.
    I'm pretty sure Jekyll is talking about Brainwave sr not his son.

Whether it was for TV synergy or otherwise, it seemed like Johns felt her and Beth Chapel deserved a second shot when he brought them back for Doomsday Clock instead of the legacy versions he wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    ...Brainwave had it coming and I cheered at his demise.

But enough about that.

I'm pretty sure Jekyll is talking about Brainwave sr not his son.
    LOL yeah, Yolanda kills the adult Brainwave, who is only impersonating his son, to trick Yolanda.
    There is a gif showing it above.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-15-2020 at 03:42 PM.