Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Finally caught the episode last night.
    Love their take and intro of her character, and Yvette Monreal is a charm to see take on the role.

I was wondering how they would play it, In the end it becomes almost a survival instinct for her to become Wildcat, - Kind of: they can't accept me for who I am, I'll become someone else.
    Courtney kind of sees that, Yolanda is looking for something, a way out, and doesn't let up on her, she opens that opportunity for her to reinvent herself.
    And yeah Yolanda takes it.

Loved seeing her escape home, and show up at Courtney's window in full gear!.

That said her parents are kind of irredeemable horrible people, and an awful go-to cliche about strict Latino families.
    With so few Latinos represented in the DCU it's kind of painful when they go for the worst cliches, instead of something more positive.
    Ultimately whats needed is more of them, so as to get more variety.

That said, it gives her pathos and angst (without being the dead parents level angst) just emotionally dead parents, who are dead to her plea for forgiveness, and sadly will never see her for who she once was).
    That person is still there though.
    So when they don't accept her, and she takes up the mask, new identity and mantle, as an opportunity to be the good person and hero she once saw herself as again, it got me!

...She is Wildcat!

Last edited by Güicho; 07-23-2020 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I do wonder if the picture of that boxer in Yolanda's room was supposed to be Ted.
    With all her verve and everything she had going on, she kind of had it all, I love that they also made her a boxer/brawler too.
    It's the outlet she needed, and ties her wonderfully to Grant.

As for the picture, It's hard to tell, could be Grant, could be a random boxer, or could have once been her own dad too in better days ((the Mauler) Montez, if going by the comics) who was once a boxer too, and a friend and rival of Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Godson of Al Pratt(Golden Age Atom), Albert Rothstein(Nuklon/Atom-Smasher)
    Visiting Yolanda's home. On the wall a poster of Ted Grant(Wildcat) vs. Juan Montez (Yolanda's father).......

Maybe that will be the vehicle to find redemption in her parents eyes, if they respected that guy, they can one day see it in her too.

As for the "power suit", yeah it's weird to imagine Grant ever having had any kind of power-enhanced suit, it does kind of take away from the Wildcat as having been a purely brawler level hero, who was just on his own tough enough to hang with some of the most powerful heroes in the DCU.

That said, the other alternative would have been making her a meta, which would have required a whole other level of explanation and exposition. Or her enhancing the suit herself, which again that's not really her and would have needed to steer her in a different direction.
    I guess what they chose was a good middle ground.

Ultimately the visual is what stands out, and her reason for taking up the mantle.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-24-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Finally caught the episode last night.
    Love their take and intro of her character, and Yvette Monreal is a charm to see take on the role.
    I was wondering how they would play it, In the end it becomes almost a survival instinct for her to take on the role, - Kind of: they can't accept me for who I am, I'll become someone else.
    Cortney kind of sees that she's looking for something, doesn't let up, and opens that opportunity for her to reinvent herself.

Loved seeing her escape home, and show up at Cortney's window in full gear!.

That said her parents are kind of irredeemable horrible people, and an awful go-to cliche about strict Latino families.
    With so few Latinos represented in the DCU it's kind of painful when they go for the worst cliches, instead of something more positive.
    Ultimately whats needed is more of them, so as to get more variety.

That said, it gives her pathos and angst (without being the dead parents level angst) just emotionally dead parents, who are dead to her plea for forgiveness and will never see her for who she once was).
    So when they don't accept her, and she takes up the mask, new identity and mantle, as an opportunity to be the good person and hero she once saw herself as again, it got me!

She is Wildcat!
    I honestly felt so bad for her at that end scene with her parents. I get that what happened is embarrassing and certainly damaging to her reputation but the way her family acted was harsh and honestly cruel. I agree with you that I’m glad that she can at least enjoy some semblance of a life as Wildcat.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I honestly felt so bad for her at that end scene with her parents. I get that what happened is embarrassing and certainly damaging to her reputation but the way her family acted was harsh and honestly cruel. I agree with you that I’m glad that she can at least enjoy some semblance of a life as Wildcat.
    Right? Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't it a parent's job to defend your kid when someone takes advantage of them and they are traumatized? To always have their back? I've seen the parents of serial killers act with more love and compassion toward their children than Yolanda's parents acted toward her.

Honestly, with the way her parents act, I was shocked that Yolanda even said "I love you all so much" at that ending scene. In response, I literally said the words "I wouldn't" out loud to my TV screen. Jesus. What horrible parents.

Yeah the parents acted like asses. I understand why they were upset but it's clear she was suffering too.

Anyway now that Yolanda is alive again in the comics, I'm wondering if we see her pop up soon.

Extraordinary Member

Lol. Yeah, it’s like...borderline emotional abuse. Maybe not even borderline. Just emotional abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I have a theory that they gave Ted this super hi-tech suit and all he ever used it for was punching people
    I can see that actually being canon for Grant, he doesn't care about the fancy abilities of the suit he just wants to use his fist lol.

I do wonder if the picture of that boxer in Yolanda's room was supposed to be Ted.
    I wonder if instead of being her Godfather like in the comics, in this show could Ted be her grandfather?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I can see that actually being canon for Grant, he doesn't care about the fancy abilities of the suit he just wants to use his fist lol.

I wonder if instead of being her Godfather like in the comics, in this show could Ted be her grandfather?
    Nah, the JSA didn't come across as being grandfather old from what we've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Nah, the JSA didn't come across as being grandfather old from what we've seen.
    But I could see Ted being the oldest member especially with his nine lives power

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    But I could see Ted being the oldest member especially with his nine lives power
    Would still be weirdly surprising, way too cliched, and brings up the problem of another kid having JSA history and not knowing it beforehand (assuming Courtney is Starman's daughter). Too much baggage, not enough benefit, and him being that much older than his teammates to boot...nah.

Although they're all fighting each-other, and Shiv should eventually likely be her main nemesis.
    looks like they really are playing up the once classic Wildcat / (Huntress)Tigress rivalry.

Did Yolanda ever fight her (or more likely) her daughter.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-24-2020 at 05:43 PM.

So Yolanda takes some great comeback inspiration from the legacy of Grant (watching his old matches) , to get her back in the fight and lay claim to the mantle, this episode.

Although the fight doesn't go their way, she kind of held her own for a bit against Tigress, and has a few good tricks, some crazy reflexes, as she snatches a crossbow arrow out out of the air, is that her natural instincts at all, or all the suit?
    Arrow grab- https://media1.giphy.com/media/SqZ4z...AqkO/giphy.gif
    She's got allot to learn, and the fledgling group obviously need training, was the point of the episode, (more team-work ....and need to see more claws!).
    Anyone catch the fight? I have to re-watch, were there like (what else to call them?) Wild Cat feral growls, throughout their fight ? LOL!
    Great match-up and rivalry, they are also setting up Tigress' daughter Artemis, wondering which side she'll fall on?

Wish Yolanda had her own book to explore all this!
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-23-2020 at 03:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Anyone catch the fight? I have to re-watch, were there like (what else to call them?) Wild Cat feral growls, throughout their fight ? LOL!
    That was tigress i think.
    She had the same growls in first episode in beginning fight scene.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    That was tigress i think.
    She had the same growls in first episode in beginning fight scene.
    Really owning the cat theme .

If the JSA comes back I could see them using the kids from the show as the POV characters. They investigate the dissapearance of the JSA after learning their connection to them or something.

Unfortunately I don't see them getting individual solos or miniseries but maybe DCZoom/Ink would be a better home for them.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-25-2020 at 08:57 AM.