Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default [PREVIEW] Wonder Woman #82

Now that Cheetah has gained control of Themyscira, Wonder Woman must return home for a final showdown. Does she stand a chance against this scholar-turned-monster whose sole purpose was to enter this mythical realm? Meanwhile, Earth is left unprotected and some of Themyscira’s most vile creations have found their way there. What chaos awaits Wonder Woman if she ever returns? Join returning writer Steve Orlando for the first chapter of this three-issue tale!

Writer: Steve Orlando
    Artist: Kieran McKeown
    Inker: Scott Hanna
    Color artist: Romulo Fajardo Jr.
    Letters: Pat Brosseau
    Cover: Rafael Albuquerque and Dave Stewart
    Variant Cover: Jenny Frison
    Release Date: November 13, 2019

PREVIEW: https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...nder-woman-82/

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

That Frison cover is wonderful.

Meanwhile, the Amazons are made into helpless mooks, Themyscira is batted around as a pingpong ball, Diana is doubting herself after Wilson carefully built up the character (by returning her connection to Themyscira and reaffirming her as a champion of love), and the art feels decent technically but not especially interesting.

And why would Cheetah go after Hera? Of all the Olympian goddesses around, she is the one with the least connection to Diana and the Amazons.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    That Frison cover is wonderful.

Meanwhile, the Amazons are made into helpless mooks, Themyscira is batted around as a pingpong ball, Diana is doubting herself after Wilson carefully built up the character (by returning her connection to Themyscira and reaffirming her as a champion of love), and the art feels decent technically but not especially interesting.

And why would Cheetah go after Hera? Of all the Olympian goddesses around, she is the one with the least connection to Diana and the Amazons.
    "Carefully built up the character" isn't how I'd describe what Wilson did with Diana, more so as the run continued. She was already a champion of love so doesn't need to be built back up to that. The broad plot of restoring her connection to Themyscira is solid and it's great that we can just keep moving with that, but we still have weird stuff like Grail kidnapping Hippolyta somehow and the some of the Amazons falling in with her for no reason, so the execution for that was iffy. She doesn't strike me as doubting herself too severely here, it actually seems pretty mild after what we've had in the last few arcs.

Cheetah names Hera as the patron here. As she already killed Aphrodite, I would think Athena or Artemis would be on her list. But Hera is included among the Gods who bestowed powers on Diana in Year One, so she's definitely been involved with the Amazons.

I'm trying to be hopeful, but yet another writer kicks off their run with, literally, "Who is Wonder Woman?"

How many times do we have to go down this road? <sigh>

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I'm trying to be hopeful, but yet another writer kicks off their run with, literally, "Who is Wonder Woman?"

Well, that was the hand Wilson dealt Orlando. He kind of has to address the lingering plot points she left dangling after Cheetah killed Aphrodite and took Diana's lasso and tiara.

It's easy to tell that a new writer has taken over this book. Diana's voice seems much more in-character to me and Cheetah seems like a much more credible threat than when she appeared in Wilson's run. She just defeated a small army of Amazons by herself. She hasn't come across as this formidable since Rucka's run.

The only thing I don't like about the preview is Diana's return to Boston. I like her in Washington DC or Gateway City. At the very least, Orlando gives a reason for the move though.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I mean the simple fact that Jason had to be then he was killed off. It’s either that editorial wants the writers to use certain things, after to fix other writers plot holes or something else. Or they could ignore it make other issues.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    "Carefully built up the character" isn't how I'd describe what Wilson did with Diana, more so as the run continued. She was already a champion of love so doesn't need to be built back up to that. The broad plot of restoring her connection to Themyscira is solid and it's great that we can just keep moving with that, but we still have weird stuff like Grail kidnapping Hippolyta somehow and the some of the Amazons falling in with her for no reason, so the execution for that was iffy. She doesn't strike me as doubting herself too severely here, it actually seems pretty mild after what we've had in the last few arcs.

Cheetah names Hera as the patron here. As she already killed Aphrodite, I would think Athena or Artemis would be on her list. But Hera is included among the Gods who bestowed powers on Diana in Year One, so she's definitely been involved with the Amazons.
    I agree. It is gww ww the one i saw doubting herself often, and being weak willed. She didn't present Diana under a good light.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post

At least Orlando remembered the lasso.

Plus he has to clean up the leftover mess.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yes, getting yet another "Who is Wonder Woman?" thing is tedious, but this was the hand Orlando was dealt. Maybe he will wrap it up quickly so he can move on to what he wants to write. He didn't feel he had to write her this way in his fill-in issues or the annual.

Plus she's smiling at Etta's comments at the end there, so hopefully that means she won't be wallowing in this for too long.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yes, getting yet another "Who is Wonder Woman?" thing is tedious, but this was the hand Orlando was dealt. Maybe he will wrap it up quickly so he can move on to what he wants to write. He didn't feel he had to write her this way in his fill-in issues or the annual.

Plus she's smiling at Etta's comments at the end there, so hopefully that means she won't be wallowing in this for too long.

The arc that starts in this issue is only 3 issues long so I'm thinking most of Wilson's leftover plot lines will be wrapped up by then.

I also have to say that I like Cheetah wearing armor. It makes sense given that she's carrying the Lasso of Truth and the Godkiller(along with wearing the tiara).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

I'm getting real tired of Themyscria getting taken over by every female villain who shows up. First Grail, now Cheetah. Next it's gonna be evil Donna controlled by Batman Who Laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I'm getting real tired of Themyscria getting taken over by every female villain who shows up. First Grail, now Cheetah. Next it's gonna be evil Donna controlled by Batman Who Laughs.
    It is extemely frustrating - the Amazons should be an awesome and formidable force. IMO, they should be an entire civilization of almost-as-good-as-Diana (I like all Amazons super-powered). But even if not, they should still be very, very difficult to conquer. And certainly not with a large percentage of them willing to side the villain that often. I don't like that for Atlantis, either, but that's a complaint for a different fandom.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

I hate the who is WW stories, but that is what gww left for Orlando in his first issues. I hope he can deal with this fast. At leas he gave us a far more competent Cheetah than gww.

That is probably the best Wonder Woman cover in years.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Saw this on Twitter
    Attached Images Attached Images