Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

Default Should there be a new political spectrum for mutants?

Mutants are a diverse lot and it would be naive to assume that they all think the same. It can be assumed that some are more hierarchical than others or have different viewpoints so do you think they should have a spectrum like the common left wing-right wing spectrum we apply to Western politics? Maybe it could revolve around viewpoints about humans or the possibility of social stratification based upon superpowers. Also, can the old left wing-right wing paradigm still apply to mutants?

Politics is about the distribution of power in a civilization. For humans it’s always been about resources. Mutant power in any distribution will ALWAYS come back to telepathic domination and reality warping wild cards.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    Mutants are a diverse lot and it would be naive to assume that they all think the same. It can be assumed that some are more hierarchical than others or have different viewpoints so do you think they should have a spectrum like the common left wing-right wing spectrum we apply to Western politics? Maybe it could revolve around viewpoints about humans or the possibility of social stratification based upon superpowers. Also, can the old left wing-right wing paradigm still apply to mutants?
    Definitely. To all those points. Look, it doesn't matter how united a front people can put up; individuals are still individuals. Not one situation looks identical through two sets of eyes.

Mutants will no doubt have their own perceptions and biases around powers, plus differing attitudes in regards to the humans they've interacted with, just as any of us do about anyone. There's always going to be people who say "Well, clearly I'm more useful, because I can create fire! You just have really big eyes!" and, especially in building a new nation, that stuff's gonna come up a lot.

BANNED

As long as we're all agreed the 05 vote conservative, from farthest to the right to closest to the center: Cyclops - Jean Grey - Angel - Iceman - Beast

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    Until now, I thought that mutants were like the non-mutants except they had some weird powers. So it would be logical that the same kind of difference appears among them like in any group of humans.
    Now I don't know. There isn't much divergence of opinions.
    They seem to want to do a egalitarian society but seem to accept quite easily that psychics monopolize the power.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    As long as we're all agreed the 05 vote conservative, from farthest to the right to closest to the center: Cyclops - Jean Grey - Angel - Iceman - Beast
    No, I don't agree with that, assuming we're keeping the parallel of American politics. Even UK politics is awful on the right...a lot of unnecessary death, racism and discrimination...

I think on the right: Magneto, Polaris, Mystique, Sabretooth

And the O5 would fall more into the left and centre. Logan might fall slightly more to the right, but then...actually, nah, I can see him just being out of politics altogether and just judging everything on a case-by-case basis with his claws.
    Last edited by Domino_Dare-Doll; 11-08-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Ignoring political spectrum debates, mutants should be a diverse lot with diverse opinions and beliefs, and not all of them should get along or be compatable. The X-Men should stand for human/mutant peace and stand for all mutants, but that doesn't mean that all mutants agree with the X-Men's beliefs.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Ignoring political spectrum debates, mutants should be a diverse lot with diverse opinions and beliefs, and not all of them should get along or be compatable. The X-Men should stand for human/mutant peace and stand for all mutants, but that doesn't mean that all mutants agree with the X-Men's beliefs.
    I like that outlook!

BANNED

Broadly speaking, the mutant "left" would probably be in favor of peaceful co-existence with humans and equality among all mutants regardless of power set, whereas the "right" would prefer a hierarchical society where the stronger mutants ruled over the weak, with humans at the very bottom, with some extreme viewpoints favoring their complete extermination. That said, if you study fringe political movements around the globe, you find that they have a very different flavor to mainstream politics, since marginalized groups aren't really in any position to implement any of the ideas being debated, so you'll find a lot of dissent and division over extremely minor ideological points, best illustrated in that Peoples Front of Judaea skit in the Life of Brian.

I would like to see how generic non X-Men or X-Villain associated mutants think of the power structure of Krakoa. Would I be okay knowing two well known "evil" mutants like Magneto and Apocalypse are now in charge of my wellbeing if I were just some mutant who had non-aggressive/non-offensive powers?

I've said on other topics, the economic/industrial/military/law enforcement/education situation on Krakoa baffles me.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

I’d like to see tensions between Omega/Alpha/Beta/Gamma mutants explored on Krakoa.
    Do we have a definitive definition of each type?

No. Not right now. Maybe years down the line but right now they are one people trying to survive.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Broadly speaking, the mutant "left" would probably be in favor of peaceful co-existence with humans and equality among all mutants regardless of power set, whereas the "right" would prefer a hierarchical society where the stronger mutants ruled over the weak, with humans at the very bottom, with some extreme viewpoints favoring their complete extermination. That said, if you study fringe political movements around the globe, you find that they have a very different flavor to mainstream politics, since marginalized groups aren't really in any position to implement any of the ideas being debated, so you'll find a lot of dissent and division over extremely minor ideological points, best illustrated in that Peoples Front of Judaea skit in the Life of Brian.
    Yep, well said.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    It's canon that Cyclops never voted Republican in his life.

BANNED

Mutant political axis should be asexual/omnisexual morosexual/sapiosexual.
    Storm is extreme omnisexual/sapiosexual while Nate Grey is at the other end of the spectrum as asexual/morosexual.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Politics is about the distribution of power in a civilization. For humans it’s always been about resources. Mutant power in any distribution will ALWAYS come back to telepathic domination and reality warping wild cards.
    I have to agree. It comes down to power. There are no econonic issues on Krakoa and every one seems socially liberal. The ruling class are some of the strongest living mutants and that will never change.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.