Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Broadly speaking, the mutant "left" would probably be in favor of peaceful co-existence with humans and equality among all mutants regardless of power set, whereas the "right" would prefer a hierarchical society where the stronger mutants ruled over the weak, with humans at the very bottom, with some extreme viewpoints favoring their complete extermination. That said, if you study fringe political movements around the globe, you find that they have a very different flavor to mainstream politics, since marginalized groups aren't really in any position to implement any of the ideas being debated, so you'll find a lot of dissent and division over extremely minor ideological points, best illustrated in that Peoples Front of Judaea skit in the Life of Brian.
    This. I was thinking of a "Mutant Misanthropy Index" infograph that ranked X-Men and mutants in their human viewpoints, sorting out if there are still those willing to reconcile with humanity "someday when the situation is better," or if everybody's just waiting on natural human extinction (Dani's "All Human concepts and institutions are not constructive but self-destructive" in NM#1 makes her come across as this), or they're just chomping at the bit that is Krakoa Law 2 and waiting for the inevitable throwdown that they will win (because they are assured that the other shop will not drop on them but on the rest of Marvel).
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    As long as we're all agreed the 05 vote conservative, from farthest to the right to closest to the center: Cyclops - Jean Grey - Angel - Iceman - Beast
    Cyclops being farthest to the right makes no sense, though. We're talking about the man who tried to started a revolution and was beating cops for excessive violence.

Jean is certainly no right-winger, but she's a closer to a shallow liberal who thinks half of the world's billionaires should be women, instead of having no billionaires at all.

Beast and Angel are probably more leaning towards conservative right. Iceman is the kind of guy who thinks politics is separated from other spheres of life.

I guess if Krakoa becomes a democratic nation, then we could see new political parties: X-crats, Hellfire Party, The Blue Party, Survival Party

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Cyclops being farthest to the right makes no sense, though. We're talking about the man who tried to started a revolution and was beating cops for excessive violence.
    I think that comes from his pre-Morrison characterization, where he had a reputation of being really whitebread and stiff, especially when compared to Wolverine at the time.

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I guess if Krakoa becomes a democratic nation, then we could see new political parties: X-crats, Hellfire Party, The Blue Party, Survival Party
    This is one of the reasons why I'd like to see Krakoa become a democracy. Not only to set it apart from the usual Marvel state monarchies but also to highlight the ideological differences of the X-Men. There can also be elections for each new status quo change that sets the mood for things to come.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I think that comes from his pre-Morrison characterization, where he had a reputation of being really whitebread and stiff, especially when compared to Wolverine at the time.
    Cyclops has always been that strict, humorless, hall monitor type, he only became a revolutionary because, as far he's concerned, the wrong people are in charge, not because he has any kind of anti-authority streak in him. In a mutant-dominated society he would definitely be about as far right as you can get.

Well, he is very pro-military.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Yes, there should. The Myers-Briggs personality type shall replace the flatscan’s archaic tribalism. By the by, Charles is an ESFJ, and Magneto is a clear INTJ.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Cyclops has always been that strict, humorless, hall monitor type, he only became a revolutionary because, as far he's concerned, the wrong people are in charge, not because he has any kind of anti-authority streak in him. In a mutant-dominated society he would definitely be about as far right as you can get.
    Not really. As far right as you can get in a mutant society is Apocalypse. Cyclops wanted the X-men to take their work seriously, but outside of it, he doesn't care what people do with their lives, he's far from being conservative (and, again, it's canon that he never voted Republican in his life).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Well, when the authority in question is biased against you and yours, it's pretty understandable. What I see with Cyclops is more that he'd be happy to abide by the rules of a system that would give him and his people a fair shake at being heard and represented, but since the system currently in place is intractably biased against people like him, he's no longer trying to play by its rules. In fact, that kind of argument is also present in real life, given all the accusations of ingrained bias within the American criminal justice system; why should people who have gotten nothing but abuse, brutalization, and degradation from a system that is supposed to protect and serve everyone be bothered to see its rulings regarding them as legitimate, especially when there are people who skate on (more) serious crimes against others just because they have money or the judges feel inclined to take it easy on them for being part of the same in-group?

That said, if mutants were to have a new political spectrum, I would see it defined in these three categories, at least to start --- isolationist, integrationist, and imperialist. Isolationist would be "the humans can do whatever they want as long as they don't come after us, and in turn we won't bother them." Integrationist would be "we can still try to live together in peace if humans are willing to concede and respect our right to exist." Imperialist would be "humans have had control of this world more than long enough, and look at what they have done with it; it's time for new stewards of the planet now, and they will be us."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    This is one of the reasons why I'd like to see Krakoa become a democracy. Not only to set it apart from the usual Marvel state monarchies but also to highlight the ideological differences of the X-Men. There can also be elections for each new status quo change that sets the mood for things to come.
    Let readers decide who wins the election.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Not really. As far right as you can get in a mutant society is Apocalypse. Cyclops wanted the X-men to take their work seriously, but outside of it, he doesn't care what people do with their lives, he's far from being conservative (and, again, it's canon that he never voted Republican in his life).
    When was this made canon, by the by?

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    Yes, there should. The Myers-Briggs personality type shall replace the flatscan’s archaic tribalism. By the by, Charles is an ESFJ, and Magneto is a clear INTJ.
    Myers-Briggs is interesting, but it's not scientific. Not really something that can sustain a society.

BANNED

Well, he is very pro-military.
    Yes to all of this. Iceman and Jean are also very bigoted which can be traced back to their upbringing. Warren cannonically votes republican. Beast is an ineffective liberal centrist buffoon.
    Wolverine is a libertarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    lmao you really want to let the XMen fanbase make any kind of creative decision?

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

When was this made canon, by the by?
    It was in a Cyclops 4 issue miniseries. I think it was Icons or something. Not sure exactly on the series, but he states that he never votes Republican.

The guy is strict with leading, but I'm not sure about anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    It will be Robin all over again.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 11-08-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia