Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

No.
    While they will certainly have different viewpoints on How they should be led and by Whom...the fact remains they are ALL more concerned with survival and building and maintaining their new-found Mutant Society.
    The Quiet Council as set up...already acknowledges the various potential factions/differences in opinions with representatives that can/will speak on the behalf of those varying ideologies.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Fantasizing about owning your black bestie and beating her isn't "a little racist". It's a lot racist.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Fantasizing about owning your black bestie and beating her isn't "a little racist". It's a lot racist.
    Did you miss the part where I said her Id was amplified by illusion?

I agree with you. I’m worried you think I was making light of a complicated situation.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    CyCOP:
    - assaulted protesters during the Utopia protest
    - supports the death penalty (re: XForce)
    - tried to secede from the United States
    - set up a black site (Utopia) in which he tortured people of color (Bishop)
    He protested and went to war with the American government for their treatment and oppression of minorities, including invading police stations and government facilities to rescue them; and you forget the small detail the person of color was working to murder a child and make sure the minority would never rise above their present station. Bishop was the ultimate Uncle Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Did you miss the part where I said her Id was amplified by illusion?

I agree with you. I’m worried you think I was making light of a complicated situation.
    This might need a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    He protested and went to war with the American government for their treatment and oppression of minorities, including invading police stations and government facilities to rescue them; and you forget the small detail the person of color was working to murder a child and make sure the minority would never rise above their present station. Bishop was the ultimate Uncle Tom.
    Wasn't he possessed by the Demon Bear or something?

Yeah, this might have been some excuse the next writer tried to pull off, but no one acknowledged that, and rightfully so.

That was straight up character assassination. Really awful how the x-writers and editors treat minorities.

I can't imagine having the courage of writing a black man going against hi race to help the government.

Does that include the kids she did it front of? She could have at least waited until he was in the bathroom or something.
    Nah why do that while you can traumatize a entire family
    Last edited by spirit2011; 11-09-2019 at 10:36 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    No.
    While they will certainly have different viewpoints on How they should be led and by Whom...the fact remains they are ALL more concerned with survival and building and maintaining their new-found Mutant Society.
    The Quiet Council as set up...already acknowledges the various potential factions/differences in opinions with representatives that can/will speak on the behalf of those varying ideologies.
    But only in a fictional setting could any kind of social movement remain completely united and committed to the struggle, rather than being torn apart by ideological or factional conflict. As absurd as it might seem to those of us on the outside, activism is primarily infighting and allowing for free expression while successfully maintaining a united front against external threats is a balancing act that very few groups can successfully manage. Writers can just handwave all that away if they want to focus on other plots, but that cheapens the analogy quite a bit.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    But only in a fictional setting could any kind of social movement remain completely united and committed to the struggle, rather than being torn apart by ideological or factional conflict. As absurd as it might seem to those of us on the outside, activism is primarily infighting and allowing for free expression while successfully maintaining a united front against external threats is a balancing act that very few groups can successfully manage. Writers can just handwave all that away if they want to focus on other plots, but that cheapens the analogy quite a bit.
    I disagree that not focusing on the internal politics and differing ideologies cheapens the the analogy in any way shape or form. Simply because, as a minority group, the main point of their conflict and story (as with all minorities) is with those on the outside who are against them.
    Yes, there may be internal strife, but that is usually not as problematic on a large scale as another race/outside force seeking to obliterate you.
    And also...the X-Men have always had lots of internal, mutant vs mutant, strife (Xavier vs Magneto) but we've already had decades of those types of stories.

Even so...we know there is/will be dissension among the ranks. So it's not as though any of that will be "handwaved away". It just may not be central to the overall direction going forward, as it was in the past.
    bottom line...while things may have fundamentally changed for the X-men and Mutants...nothing really has.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 11-09-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

No.
    Stick to fighting bad guys.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Agreed. Jean is really messed up.

The confederates declared war on america too.

The confederates declared war on america too.
    To oppress minorities, rather than fight for their rights.

BANNED

To oppress minorities, rather than fight for their rights.
    Were the NEw XMen compensated for growing Cyclops food on the fields? All I remember is Illyana sending Anole to Limbo when he complained and Warpath beating up hungry teenagers.

Were the NEw XMen compensated for growing Cyclops food on the fields? All I remember is Illyana sending Anole to Limbo when he complained and Warpath beating up hungry teenagers.
    Not agreeing but remember Iceman also constantly abusing them and Colossus/Cannonball forcing the kids to keep finding Magik even after she traumatized all of them and they affirmatively kept saying “No, we don’t want to do that.”