Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member

I liked Joker better when it was called Falling Down.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Saw a video essay Bob Chipman did on the subject. He made a good point that I think makes sense; this idea that Joker is some kind of underdog movie has zero basis in reality; it's a comic book move based on one of the most popular franchises out there; it being a success was almost a given. It's time to put away the whole "the media hated Joker myth." (Besides, if it "won," why do you care if certain critics and internet users didn't like it, thinks it didn't deserve the nominations, or whatever your beef is?)
    Nobody said Joker was an underdog type of movie, it was indeed a comic book movie based on a well known villain though the success was never really a given considering the last movies a batman character was in Dawn of justice and justice league didn't really have huge success, we did not know if joker will fail or not but that is not the issue. the issue was the superficial reaction to the film, even before the movie was released. trying to link it to massacres. saying it was all about white privileged? wtf?? complaining the movie was too dark??

It was not a myth that the media hated it unfairly, if it was then why did the movie's own director and lead actor call out the media for their crap? are you saying Toad Philips and Phoenix were just been paranoid when they addresses all the issues the media were saying was wrong with the film?

If we are being honest can you really tell me, the media showed the same level of support for the film as they did with captain marvel, a movie the media protected? what of the spiderman right issues, did the media play it neutral between Sony and Disney? this media bias has been going on for years, I can think back as 2012, the media attacking Nolan and forcing him to apologise because he said some not so friendly things about Avengers. Right now the media is hardly celebrating the news that the movie was nominated, After the adoration they gave black panther, why isn't Joker getting the same treatment?
    (Besides, if it "won," why do you care if certain critics and internet users didn't like it, thinks it didn't deserve the nominations, or whatever your beef is?)
    critics and the media tried to ruin the film because the movie dared to think for itself, they failed. so for those who support comic movies that can think for themselves and is not afraid to push the genre forward, we won.

Never got the vibe Internet users did not like it, many Internet users, who are independent movie fans liked it more than they hated it. they showed the movie more support as a resistance against the media.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-16-2020 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Nobody said Joker was an underdog type of movie, it was indeed a comic book movie based on a well known villain though the success was never really a given considering the last movies a batman character was in Dawn of justice and justice league didn't really have huge success, we did not know if joker will fail or not but that is not the issue. the issue was the superficial reaction to the film, even before the movie was released. trying to link it to massacres. saying it was all about white privileged? wtf?? complaining the movie was too dark??

It was not a myth that the media hated it unfairly, if it was then why did the movie's own director and lead actor call out the media for their crap? are you saying Toad Philips and Phoenix were just been paranoid when they addresses all the issues the media were saying was wrong with the film?

If we are being honest can you really tell me, the media showed the same level of support for the film as they did with captain marvel, a movie the media protected? what of the spiderman right issues, did the media play it neutral between Sony and Disney? this media bias has been going on for years, I can think back as 2012, the media attacking Nolan and forcing him to apologise because he said some not so friendly things about Avengers. Right now the media is hardly celebrating the news that the movie was nominated, After the adoration they gave black panther, why isn't Joker getting the same treatment?

(Besides, if it "won," why do you care if certain critics and internet users didn't like it, thinks it didn't deserve the nominations, or whatever your beef is?)
    critics and the media tried to ruin the film because the movie dared to think for itself, they failed. so for those who support comic movies that can think for themselves and is not afraid to push the genre forward, we won.

Never got the vibe Internet users did not like it, many Internet users, who are independent movie fans liked it more than they hated it. they showed the movie more support as a resistance against the media.
    No one who actually saw the film is going to buy into an assessment that nonsensical.

It is about as much of a "Comic Book..." movie as The Punisher was in '89.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I have not seen the movie but the problem is that "The Killing Joke", quite possibly the most remembered and respected of all Joker stories, makes him both despised monster and sympathetic victim. Back in 1989, TKJ was big and one of the criticisms of the 1989 Batman movie (or Joker movie) was that they utterly ignored that sympathetic aspect. Granted it's not there in most Joker stories but that's the most remembered and respected version of his origin.
    Yea the Joker also leaves the movie with the potential that he will become that Choatic killer who you dont sympathize with. But Arthur is as dumb as a bag of rocks. Which works with the message of the movie. As both poor and mentally I'll he wouldnt have received a good public education. 100% works in the movie and city they set up. But that's not Joker. And hes not gonna magically become funny and smart. They made a Oscar bait film and Phoenix acted his ass off. But everything comic related is surface details like names. The laugh is the only thing they used and they 100% changed that too. I want movies like this to exist but I dont want this to become a trend. Where they take a Bankable Comicbook IP and use it to help a unrelated movie make more money.

It is funny though to see people put this up as the greatest CBM ever and then those same people always complain about all the MCU movies saying they **** on the source material.

Anyway it's a good movie Phoenix and whoever did the Score should 100% win an Oscar. That Score went so well with all the akward creepy **** Phoenix was doing.

Retired

When movies are put forward for the adapted screenplay nomination, do they have to name which source materials were used, to justify that it is an adapted screenplay? I'd like to know what comic books they would say were adapted for the movie.

Art speaks to people in different ways. I think there certainly is relevancy in discussing what people draw from the movies, whether those messages be intentional or otherwise. (Also, as I recall, while there were plenty of people jumping on the "this movie is dangerous" bandwagon who'd never seen it, it all started from people who'd seen the early screenings.)

Neither Phillips or Phoenix acquitted themselves that well in the interviews, with the former's weird rant about progressivism "ruining" comedy or the latter's rudeness. It was frankly pretty embarrassing to read about.

Yes, I can and will say that this scenario has no basis in reality. The media does not "protect" or "attack" anything. It's not some singular entity with one mind and one vision, but a collection of different groups and content creators with their own opinions and ideas (do Fox and Friends and CNN share a worldview?). At the end of the day, if Captain Marvel got better reviews and reception in the media sources then Joker did, it just means that more reviewers and those creating media content liked Captain Marvel more. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    When movies are put forward for the adapted screenplay nomination, do they have to name which source materials were used, to justify that it is an adapted screenplay? I'd like to know what comic books they would say were adapted for the movie.
    Was kinda wondering about that myself. Reminded me of when Logan was nominated for that Oscar and lost; I was predicting that would happen, not because of the reputation the Oscars have for not liking comic book movies, but because it wasn't really adapted from any specific story.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I dont know why but I thought Just Mercy came out too late for this Years Oscar's. Isnt anyone I'd take out of Best actor for Michale B Jordan and I think Adam Sandler was the bigger snub there. Also it's all meaningless the award is Phoenix's already. But there is a couple actors I'd bounce from supporting actor for Jamie Foxx. Didnt see Two popes but I hear Hopkins was amazing so I'd leave him just out of ignorance. I love Pesci and hope he wins becuaee it's a good story. But he didnt do much in that film. He had these least dramatic part in the movie. Honestly think William Defoe dersved a Nom a little more the Pacino too. All that stuck with me from Pacinos perfromance was the accent he did a good job at.

Also I've seen people saying they feel Lupito was snubbed for best Supporting actress? Wasnt she the lead of Us? Why would it be for supporting?

Retired

I feel like TWO POPES is a two-hander. Hopkins and Pryce are equally as important. I didn't count the screen time--but while there's a lot more back story about Francis, that's acted by a different actor and not Pryce. The two Welsh actors should be in the same category--and actually Hopkins is the better of the two, if acting talent can be compared.

I'd put Scar Jo's performance in MARRIAGE STORY in the supporting category, because the story is much more about Driver's character. In fact, I don't think the movie is even-handed as it does give more attention to his role as the father trying to get custody. I really don't see why either of them are nominated for this movie--I don't see what other people see in their performances--it's no big yip to me.

Lupito was certainly the star of US--and she had a dual role, which is something that the Academy always likes to reward. But I just don't think US was good enough to get Oscar nominations.

Wasn't JOJO RABBIT supposed to be just as controversial as JOKER? In the conversation about what movies deserve to win, I thought more people would be saying it shouldn't win (or even be nominated) because it's too offensive.

Haven't watched THE IRISHMAN but with its run time and the fact that it's only available on the small screen for most people, I think of it as a TV mini-series. And maybe that's how it should have been presented--as a two or three episode TV mini-series, rather than pretending it's a theatrical movie. And I say that with a bit of cheek for Scorsese and his self-delusions about what is cinema and what is TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I feel like TWO POPES is a two-hander. Hopkins and Pryce are equally as important. I didn't count the screen time--but while there's a lot more back story about Francis, that's acted by a different actor and not Pryce. The two Welsh actors should be in the same category--and actually Hopkins is the better of the two, if acting talent can be compared.

I'd put Scar Jo's performance in MARRIAGE STORY in the supporting category, because the story is much more about Driver's character. In fact, I don't think the movie is even-handed as it does give more attention to his role as the father trying to get custody. I really don't see why either of them are nominated for this movie--I don't see what other people see in their performances--it's no big yip to me.

Lupito was certainly the star of US--and she had a dual role, which is something that the Academy always likes to reward. But I just don't think US was good enough to get Oscar nominations.

Wasn't JOJO RABBIT supposed to be just as controversial as JOKER? In the conversation about what movies deserve to win, I thought more people would be saying it shouldn't win (or even be nominated) because it's too offensive.

Haven't watched THE IRISHMAN but with its run time and the fact that it's only available on the small screen for most people, I think of it as a TV mini-series. And maybe that's how it should have been presented--as a two or three episode TV mini-series, rather than pretending it's a theatrical movie. And I say that with a bit of cheek for Scorsese and his self-delusions about what is cinema and what is TV.
    I watched the Irishman in 3 parts funny enough.

And JoJo rabbit was one those movies that people were worried about but once it came out people loved it. I dont recall it being attacked after its release.
    Also think the trailer they released of Hitler reacting to the plot of the movie and the fact he was being played by a Polynesian Jew won alot of people over.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 01-18-2020 at 05:11 PM.