Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Which movie would you take out? Parasite is the only one nominated I didnt see. Joker definelty had a great production design but I couldnt make an argument to replace any of the other films with it. Except Parasite because I didnt watch it.

I hated the movie it was so boring and Dull but really surprised Ad Astra didnt get any love for the Visuals. It was really a beautiful movie.
    I agree with you. The production design for Joker didn’t really stick out to me, then again neither did hair and makeup or costuming or sound. Creating 80s New York City isn’t necessarily a marvel considering every movie has to at least somewhat effectively create the setting that it’s in. I’d even make the argument that Joker didn’t recreate 80s Manhattan as much as it evoked the feeling of it by creating a generic 80s metropolis whereas a Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Irishman, 1917 and JoJo Rabbit actually recreated real places.

All of the movies nominated deserve recognition way more (still haven’t seen 1917, it just opened this weekend). IMO, Parasite should win, but it will likely go to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood due to the Hollywood aspect. So many academy voters will be able to see the Hollywood that they remember in the film. But Parasite doesn’t work with out the Production Design. Both the main two settings that they have help tell the story in ways that you couldn’t without it. For the other four, the production design helps with immersion while Parasite’s moves the story. That combined with the editing and cinematography, I found myself not reading the subtitles and still understanding the story.

it's really just a loose remake of Christmas Evil (1980).

I must confess I have not seen it yet NOT because I don't think it's good but because I suspect it is very dark and I have to get into the right mood for that. But, since it will probably be on Netflix soon (I hope), I can watch it a little at a time. I do want to see it and I hope it sweeps the Oscars.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    I am not trying to rile things up between Marvel vs DC. Endgame has a higher chance than Joker. I am not saying Endgame is deserving either. Endgame was awful, None the less, Marvel Studios can make the Academy pay more attention to Endgame than WB could ever do with Joker.

Wonder Woman failed to score a single nomination. Black Panther got 8 nominations. History will repeat itself, if you want to use financial rewards as an argument. This is the first time I am hearing Joker is the most profitable comic movie. Endgame beating Avatar was a bigger watershed moment.
    From what I've heard, I think a significant difference is that "Joker" is a kind of movie that would be considered for an Oscar while Endgame is not. I liked Endgame but I'm not deluding myself that it even remotely deserves a Best Picture Oscar or even a nomination. From what I'm hearing, "Joker" does deserve at least a nomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I must confess I have not seen it yet NOT because I don't think it's good but because I suspect it is very dark and I have to get into the right mood for that. But, since it will probably be on Netflix soon (I hope), I can watch it a little at a time. I do want to see it and I hope it sweeps the Oscars.
    I dont mind Dark movies at all and I really enjoyed this when I saw it opening weekend. But I am most likely never gonna watch it again. It's one if those movies I can thoroughly enjoy while watching but then never want to watch again after.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I dont mind Dark movies at all and I really enjoyed this when I saw it opening weekend. But I am most likely never gonna watch it again. It's one if those movies I can thoroughly enjoy while watching but then never want to watch again after.
    That's how I felt when I saw "Million Dollar Baby" though maybe for different reasons. I went to see it because I thought it was a movie about a female Rocky, a woman who wanted to be a boxer. Clearly, that's not really what it was about. I came out of the theater thinking it was a great movie that I'm glad I saw now that it was over and done with. But I would never have watched it had I known what it was going to be like and I will almost certainly never watch it again because, even within the context of fiction, I have no desire to ever see someone undergoing that kind of anguish and suffering.

That's how I felt when I saw "Million Dollar Baby" though maybe for different reasons. I went to see it because I thought it was a movie about a female Rocky, a woman who wanted to be a boxer. Clearly, that's not really what it was about. I came out of the theater thinking it was a great movie that I'm glad I saw now that it was over and done with. But I would never have watched it had I known what it was going to be like and I will almost certainly never watch it again because, even within the context of fiction, I have no desire to ever see someone undergoing that kind of anguish and suffering.
    Maybe "Girlfight" would be more your speed if that's what you're looking for.

But yeah - there are films I love, but I do not need to see again. Other films are favs because they are very rewatchable.

That said, it would be funny if Joker beat Irishman - I would want the camera right on Scrocese's face at that announcement.

From what I've heard, I think a significant difference is that "Joker" is a kind of movie that would be considered for an Oscar while Endgame is not. I liked Endgame but I'm not deluding myself that it even remotely deserves a Best Picture Oscar or even a nomination. From what I'm hearing, "Joker" does deserve at least a nomination.
    I've heard it both ways with Joker. Haven't seen it myself, so I can't judge, although I will concede that I think I'd rather Logan have been the comic book movie to win the Best Picture (or Black Panther, for that matter). Just my weird opinion.

I think I agree that I wouldn't put Endgame as a Best Picture. Good, but I've seen stuff I think was better.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

If that movie was hard on you dont watch Joker then.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Maybe "Girlfight" would be more your speed if that's what you're looking for.

But yeah - there are films I love, but I do not need to see again. Other films are favs because they are very rewatchable.

That said, it would be funny if Joker beat Irishman - I would want the camera right on Scrocese's face at that announcement.
    Nah Joker isnt a comicbook movie except in name only i dont think Scorsese would take issue with it. He almost produced it. But I don't think either film wins best picture. Scorsese has a chance at director though. Who knows though. Uncut Gems and Knives out being almost completely shut out bothers me. **** I'd give Sandler the oscar over anyone except Phoenix.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 01-15-2020 at 01:20 AM.

There is still negative coverage about the movie. what do this media folks want? they lost this little war.

https://www.cbr.com/oscars-films-mor...nations-joker/

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ng-nominations

Media is not happy about the Joker's oscar nominations, does not make any sense, considering how they were campaigning badly for Black Panther last year.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    There is still negative coverage about the movie. what do this media folks want? they lost this little war.

Media is not happy about the Joker's oscar nominations, does not make any sense, considering how they were campaigning badly for Black Panther last year.
    Is this the first Oscars you've ever read about? Because this happens every year. There are complaints that movies not nominated were shunned and complaints that movies that were nominated didn't deserve it. There was actually discussion that Black Panther did not deserve a best picture nomination.

Also as a poster who continually rails against what you feel are the flaws in Black Pather, the MCU, Disney, etc, do you not get the irony of your complaint?

Astonishing Member

Outside of the top-notch acting, Joker is overrated for the best picture. Doesn't deserve it and doesn't deserve to be called Joker since he's nothing like the Joker. Makes me sick how they try to get the audience to sympathize with the character. Show him how he is in the comics. Make him an irrational chaotic killer of innocent people and not just those who wronged him. Posters talk about how source material is twisted should look no further than here.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Outside of the top-notch acting, Joker is overrated for the best picture. Doesn't deserve it and doesn't deserve to be called Joker since he's nothing like the Joker. Makes me sick how they try to get the audience to sympathize with the character. Show him how he is in the comics. Make him an irrational chaotic killer of innocent people and not just those who wronged him. Posters talk about how source material is twisted should look no further than here.
    This is a fair criticism. The movie is derivative and it also is a major downer, partly because there are lots of sympathetic moments where you are ashamed to be feeling sympathetic. But also because the despair just keeps getting deeper and deeper for the main character and those around him. To me, this is a sign of great acting rather than a great movie, though, at least in this case. There is something about Phoenix's performance that evokes sympathy and empathy. The dude's life is freaking horrible.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post

Saw a video essay Bob Chipman did on the subject. He made a good point that I think makes sense; this idea that Joker is some kind of underdog movie has zero basis in reality; it's a comic book move based on one of the most popular franchises out there; it being a success was almost a given. It's time to put away the whole "the media hated Joker myth." (Besides, if it "won," why do you care if certain critics and internet users didn't like it, thinks it didn't deserve the nominations, or whatever your beef is?)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I have not seen the movie but the problem is that "The Killing Joke", quite possibly the most remembered and respected of all Joker stories, makes him both despised monster and sympathetic victim. Back in 1989, TKJ was big and one of the criticisms of the 1989 Batman movie (or Joker movie) was that they utterly ignored that sympathetic aspect. Granted it's not there in most Joker stories but that's the most remembered and respected version of his origin.