Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Joker now has the best chance for Oscar Best Picture nomination

Screen rant is reporting Joker is now the most profitable comic movie of all time.

https://screenrant.com/joker-most-pr...#leave-comment
    Joker Becomes Most Profitable Comic Book Movie Ever

This is a game changer going into awards season. studios are now lobbying their movies for awards. Disney is putting Lion King, Endgame and Ford vs ferrari for best picture,Ford vs ferrari is one the Fox leftovers movies from the buy out. Netflix Irishman is a shoo in, Sony has once upon a a time in Hollywood.Warner Brothers has Joker. there were some arguments that Endgame should be automatically recognised because it is the highest grossing film of all time and Avatar and Titanic were reconsigned for best picture when they held that record, but that has now changed because Joker is now the profitable comic film of all time, and the highest rated r movie. So Joker also has the money argument. Oscars love their r rated movies. Joker is that and it made money without the kids market and China. The Oscars hate comic movies so even if they nominate any this year, it will be only be one comic movie. not two.

Also joker is strong with the acting and cinematography department that will give it more Oscar Best picture boast. I think this movie is going to do it. WB now has the right comic movie instead of pushing wonder woman 2 years ago. I really hope Joker does get the nomination for best picture, best actor and best cinematography at least. I also think a Joker nomination will ease some of the unfair comic movie backlash. Although the lame Oscars should have done this with Logan 2 years ago, 11 years ago with TDK.

Best Picture contenders so far

The Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Parasite

Ad Astra

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

The Farewell

Ford v Ferrari

A Hidden Life
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-09-2019 at 02:22 AM.

Ew, no comic book movie has deserved an Oscar yet and certainly not Joker

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Ew, no comic book movie has deserved an Oscar yet and certainly not Joker
    Its 2019, this is about what is now, not what is past history.

You don't have to be the most intelligent High IQ person to win oscars, you just have to make a quality driven director-written movie. that is the only requirement for best picture. at least on paper, putting aside the Hollywood politics or powerful people like Harvey Weinstein calling the shots.

Oscars are not the noble prize for science breakthrough, although there are some breakthrough VFX movies like star wars, avatar and matrix that automatically got oscars for VFX but this is best picture, all you need is a tight screenplay and legit directing and some stand out acting from one or two cast members.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-09-2019 at 02:58 AM.

Oscars still frown on comic movies. Logan and spider-verse didn't a nod. How on earth did logan not get a best picture nod? Black panther got a nod but we knew it would never win. (spider-verse was better imo) Animated films are the same. If spirited away, your name, summer wars, disappearance of haruhi suzumiya or girl who lept through time were live action films they all would have went for best picture but they are animated so Oscars turn their noses to them.

Joker and logan are the two I could see getting best picture nods (however some critics hated joker so that may go against it) at the Oscars. SAG awards are coming up also so we will see how well it does there.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe best actor but really doubt best picture. The content is questionable and honestly this movie would've been crap without an actor the level of Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Oscars still frown on comic movies. Logan and spider-verse didn't a nod. How on earth did logan not get a best picture nod? Black panther got a nod but we knew it would never win. (spider-verse was better imo) Animated films are the same. If spirited away, your name, summer wars, disappearance of haruhi suzumiya or girl who lept through time were live action films they all would have went for best picture but they are animated so Oscars turn their noses to them.

Joker and logan are the two I could see getting best picture nods (however some critics hated joker so that may go against it) at the Oscars. SAG awards are coming up also so we will see how well it does there.
    the Oscars says they are getting more diverse with films. Yeah the Oscars do frown upon comic movies but sometimes they can't look the other way, there is too much backlash on comic films right now. I wish scorsese and coppela have done their rant in March 2020 something.

What I fear with Joker is the media does have influence, the media hated joker so that could hurt its chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

Actually, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse DID get an Oscar nod -- for Best Animated Feature.

Not only that, it won.

So, at least we do have one CBM that won a "Best Picture" Oscar of a sort.

As for Joker, I think Joaquin Phoenix has a better chance of getting a Best Actor nomination and actually winning than the Joker movie itself. I think Joker has a fair shot at a nomination, but I think it's a real longshot to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Actually, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse DID get an Oscar nod -- for Best Animated Feature.

Not only that, it won.

So, at least we do have one CBM that won a "Best Picture" Oscar of a sort.

As for Joker, I think Joaquin Phoenix has a better chance of getting a Best Actor nomination and actually winning than the Joker movie itself. I think Joker has a fair shot at a nomination, but I think it's a real longshot to win.
    Oscars aren't typically given to massively money making films, although there are exceptions. The feeling is that the film was already awarded with gobs of cash so the statue should go to something else. It night not be fair, but since when has that had anything to do with Hollywood?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Oscars aren't typically given to massively money making films, although there are exceptions. The feeling is that the film was already awarded with gobs of cash so the statue should go to something else. It night not be fair, but since when has that had anything to do with Hollywood?
    Reason joker is a game changer, it has all the tick box checks for oscars but it also made money.if the oscars wants the young adult crowd. Joker is the best movie to bring them in and this time, it won't be out desperation.

The Academy Awards are voted on by numerous people who have no idea how others are voting. They are not making statements or signaling the industry. They are just making private decisions. Making large assumptions from the awards or nominations is foolhardy. "The Oscars are trying to" or "If the Oscars wanted to" are nonsensical.
    Larger societal issues can influence the voters, but that is about the extent of it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Joker will e nominated:
    Best picture
    Best lead actor
    Best supporting actress and actor
    Best screenplay
    Best director

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Joker will e nominated:
    Best picture
    Best lead actor
    Best supporting actress and actor
    Best screenplay
    Best director
    Philips won't get for best director, they have spaces for 5 nominees. I Don't think zazi is strong enough for best actress.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Maybe best actor but really doubt best picture. The content is questionable and honestly this movie would've been crap without an actor the level of Phoenix.
    I agree wholeheartedly. At least half the films on the nomination list would be more deserving for best picture.

Best actor will probably be tight between Phoenix and Di Caprio, and I’d feel satisfied with either one of them getting it. Both did phenomenal jobs.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My pecking order for Best Picture, in descending order:

The Irishman
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    Ford v Ferrari

I'm sorry, but I don't see Joker coming close to that quartet.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 11-10-2019 at 03:15 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I am not trying to rile things up between Marvel vs DC. Endgame has a higher chance than Joker. I am not saying Endgame is deserving either. Endgame was awful, None the less, Marvel Studios can make the Academy pay more attention to Endgame than WB could ever do with Joker.

Also joker is strong with the acting and cinematography department that will give it more Oscar Best picture boast. I think this movie is going to do it. WB now has the right comic movie instead of pushing wonder woman 2 years ago. I really hope Joker does get the nomination for best picture, best actor and best cinematography at least. I also think a Joker nomination will ease some of the unfair comic movie backlash. Although the lame Oscars should have done this with Logan 2 years ago, 11 years ago with TDK.
    Wonder Woman failed to score a single nomination. Black Panther got 8 nominations. History will repeat itself, if you want to use financial rewards as an argument. This is the first time I am hearing Joker is the most profitable comic movie. Endgame beating Avatar was a bigger watershed moment.