Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    I am not trying to rile things up between Marvel vs DC. Endgame has a higher chance than Joker. I am not saying Endgame is deserving either. Endgame was awful, None the less, Marvel Studios can make the Academy pay more attention to Endgame than WB could ever do with Joker.

Wonder Woman failed to score a single nomination. Black Panther got 8 nominations. History will repeat itself, if you want to use financial rewards as an argument. This is the first time I am hearing Joker is the most profitable comic movie. Endgame beating Avatar was a bigger watershed moment.
    I'm going to regret asking but why? How is it Mavrel studios can get more attention then all of WB for their movie?

(( Crosses fingers and prays some Alex Jones conspiracy isnt where this is going))

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Philips won't get for best director, they have spaces for 5 nominees. I Don't think zazi is strong enough for best actress.
    She was hardly in the movie and didn't really do all that much in the scenes she was in. Arthur's social worker, played by Sharon Washington, showed more depth of character.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I'm going to regret asking but why? How is it Mavrel studios can get more attention then all of WB for their movie?

(( Crosses fingers and prays some Alex Jones conspiracy isnt where this is going))
    Disney owns ABC and ABC broadcasts the Oscars, so Disney uses the Oscars televised on ABC to advertise their movies. if you want to get into conspiracy territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Disney owns ABC and ABC broadcasts the Oscars, so Disney uses the Oscars televised on ABC to advertise their movies. if you want to get into conspiracy territory.
    I think the one sure way for Disney movies to lose at the Oscars is for there to be even the appearance of Disney flexing its muscles to get nominations or wins.

Are they still doing ten nominations for Best Picture? If so, Joker does have a chance at snagging that nomination.

Endgame? No way. High grossing movies with artistic merit like Lord of the Rings, Titanic, or Star Wars could get a Best Picture nomination, but there was nothing artistically innovative about Endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    What does that have to do with Private members of the Academy voting? ABC doesnt pick who gets an oscar nomination

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    I am not trying to rile things up between Marvel vs DC. Endgame has a higher chance than Joker. I am not saying Endgame is deserving either. Endgame was awful, None the less, Marvel Studios can make the Academy pay more attention to Endgame than WB could ever do with Joker.

Wonder Woman failed to score a single nomination. Black Panther got 8 nominations. History will repeat itself, if you want to use financial rewards as an argument. This is the first time I am hearing Joker is the most profitable comic movie. Endgame beating Avatar was a bigger watershed moment.
    Endgame was released twice for the sole purpose of beating Avatar. Oscars should find that more desperate than charming. It will be laughable if Endgame is nominated and not Joker.

Titanic was groundbreaking

Endgame is not.

Oscars only nominates groundbreaking blockbusters for best picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I think the one sure way for Disney movies to lose at the Oscars is for there to be even the appearance of Disney flexing its muscles to get nominations or wins.

Are they still doing ten nominations for Best Picture? If so, Joker does have a chance at snagging that nomination.

Endgame? No way. High grossing movies with artistic merit like Lord of the Rings, Titanic, or Star Wars could get a Best Picture nomination, but there was nothing artistically innovative about Endgame.
    Thank you.

The only way endgame stands a chance is for Disney to bring out the cash.

The Joker media Oscar backlash has begun. EW is now saying joker making a billion won't mean anything. that site gets more pathetic

https://ew.com/oscars/2019/11/14/jok...cture-chances/

Box office records will not propel Joker to a Best Picture nomination. Here's why

Welcome to EW’s The Awardist: a weekly column offering in-depth analysis of the 2020 awards season. Check out last week’s deep dive, and be sure to read through our Oscar predictions.

Does box office success equate to awards potential? It’s the question of the season when it comes to Joker, a divisive comic-book movie that has somehow vaulted its way to the fore of this year’s Oscar conversation. The gritty villain origin-story has cannily maneuvered the circuit ever since launching on the lido at the Venice Film Festival, winning the prestigious Golden Lion and moving on to a loud encore in Toronto.

The controversy surrounding the movie’s seemingly cavalier approach to violence and anarchy was at first seen as a potential barrier to accolades, then an attention-grabbing benefit, and now largely unrelated to its chances entirely — another backlash cycle, come and gone. What we’re left with are hard data — a decidedly mixed overall critical reception, record-breaking box office numbers — and gut reactions.

I’ve been skeptical of the movie’s awards chances for awhile now. Joker undeniably dominated talk at the fall festivals, at least early on, but the movie has rarely been held up as a favorite where it counts. On the ground in Toronto, where the film had a splashy screening, it felt like an afterthought as Cannes premieres like Parasite entered new phases of campaigning and similarly recent debuts like Marriage Story more effectively built on their first wave of buzz. The top 3 for the Grolsch People’s Choice Award — the vibrantly unpredictable Parasite, the emotionally wrenching Marriage Story, and the poignantly satirical winner Jojo Rabbit — were drastically different from one another, but each firmly asserted their place in the running well before the votes were counted. The deeply unpleasant Joker, by contrast, generated plenty of debate over its value, but wasn’t taken seriously as the best of the crop.
    You Might Like
    Edward Norton Talks About Acting Against Himself in Tim Blake Nelson’s ‘Leaves of Grass’
    Edward Norton Reveals They Didn’t Figure Out the Ending of ‘Primal Fear’ Until the End of the Shoot
    Edward Norton Reflects on the Impact of ‘Fight Club,’ the “Proto-Incel Movie”

We’re now at that point on the calendar where the Best Picture field starts narrowing down; beyond the pair of potentially major titles we haven’t seen (1917 and Richard Jewell), things are starting to take shape. The conventional wisdom — including for most here at EW — is that Joker rests on the bubble, with a shot but hardly a lock for a nomination. The main argument for why it’ll make the cut? Box office. The movie is hugely popular — more-so than any other contender this year, or most years. And voters will give it a fair shake, since leading man Joaquin Phoenix feels like a safe bet for a Best Actor nomination, at minimum.

But put simply, it is quite rare for a nihilistic comic-book movie that critics are decidedly mixed on — Joker sits at a 59 on Metacritic — to land a Best Picture nomination. You could say unprecedented. It’s true that popularity changes the equation some; see Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody last year, or Get Out the year before that. But those movies’ appeal — either socially groundbreaking or comfortably crowdpleasing — aren’t really comparable.
    Merrick Morton/Fox

And equally common are the movies that sail to surprising box office success, score with guilds and various precursor groups, only to fall short come Oscar time. Tough genre sells (and ultimate Best Picture snubs) like comedy Bridesmaids and spy thriller Skyfall were major critical and commercial hits that hovered over their respective years as possibilities; Straight Outta Compton made the final cut at SAG, PGA, and WGA before getting shut out of the Academy Awards entirely, save for a screenplay nom. More specifically, many dark, arty, financially successful films in Joker’s vein have been tipped for major embraces before getting passed over — stuff like Gone Girl, David Fincher’s highest-grossing pic ever, or of course, that other prestige Joker movie, The Dark Knight.

Where else might box office play more of a factor? Look, first and foremost, to another male-targeted film hitting theaters Friday: Ford v Ferrari, James Mangold’s muscular, star-studded racing drama which got off to a strong start in Telluride but has since tapered off. It still has what it takes to be a major awards player; high theater grosses could offer the winds it needs in its sails to regain momentum. Recall last year’s studio-backed prestige pic that came running out of the gate before losing ground: Damien Chazelle’s First Man. Once that film underperformed at the box office, its prospects for major recognition really dimmed. Ford v Ferrari is at a similarly pivotal point in its awards journey. It needs the people.

Beyond Ford, which is fronted by generally good guys, it’s a banner year in film for meditations on toxic masculinity. Two prime examples, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and The Irishman, arguably lead the pack for Best Picture. But in those movies’ cases — as in Ford — there’s a tender, nostalgic quality, a fresh treatment of old stories and archetypes that feels simultaneously like homage and subversion. It’s the best of both worlds for an Academy that sticks to what it knows, while still grudgingly moving with the times.

What we can say for a lot of these movies — for Irishman, for Hollywood, for Ferrari — is that they offer something to root for. A comeback. A swan song. An underdog. You’ve got Martin Scorsese out there passionately advocating for cinema; some may be annoyed by the digs at Marvel, but for others, they’ll resonate. You’ve got Tarantino finally making a movie about the industry he so publicly adores. Voters need a story they can get behind. I’m not sure Joker has a persuasive one to tell.

I call this propaganda at its finest.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-16-2019 at 01:32 AM.

The Joker media Oscar backlash has begun. EW is now saying joker making a billion won't mean anything. that site gets more pathetic

https://ew.com/oscars/2019/11/14/jok...cture-chances/

I call this propaganda at its finest.

This must be why Entertainment Weekly magazine is now a monthly.

In any event, I think Joker has a good shot at a nomination. It might not WIN because of the reasons in the article, but I think Hollywood would grant it a nomination to at least show it's not out of step with the general public in regard to recognizing a popular film that does have artistic merit.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood probably has a better shot at a nomination and win because it's a movie about Hollywood -- and Hollywood loves movies about Hollywood or at least about Los Angeles -- think LA Confidential (though it lost to Titanic) or Crash (which did win over early favorite Brokeback Mountain).

Endgame was released twice for the sole purpose of beating Avatar. Oscars should find that more desperate than charming. It will be laughable if Endgame is nominated and not Joker.

Titanic was groundbreaking

Endgame is not.

Oscars only nominates groundbreaking blockbusters for best picture.
    Here's the problem...

There is not "Facts" argument against that :Endgame is groundbreaking as a matter of fact that has much(if any) validity.

That it isn't in someone's own view doesn't really change that.

In any event, I think Joker has a good shot at a nomination. It might not WIN because of the reasons in the article, but I think Hollywood would grant it a nomination to at least show it's not out of step with the general public in regard to recognizing a popular film that does have artistic merit.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood probably has a better shot at a nomination and win because it's a movie about Hollywood -- and Hollywood loves movies about Hollywood or at least about Los Angeles -- think LA Confidential (though it lost to Titanic) or Crash (which did win over early favorite Brokeback Mountain).
    The Oscar voters have their own set of prejudices that need to be considered. I have it on good authority that there is some Scorsese person who will probably never cast a vote for anything based on a comic book, and who knows how many people he can influence.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Here's the problem...

There is not "Facts" argument against that :Endgame is groundbreaking as a matter of fact that has much(if any) validity.

That it isn't in someone's own view doesn't really change that.
    When did I use facts? I just observed, although Titanic and Avatar did change how people used Visual effects in films. something many directors have yet to do as good as James Cameron. Endgame's visual effects is hardly a highlight in the film. I can't get into this, all I would say is read John Woo's thoughts on marvel. he answers your comments indirectly about why films like Endgame has a lack of knowledge about films. that lack of knowledge is what puts endgame at an Oscar disadvantage. I can't say anymore.

The site never even reviewed the movie, now they are adding more negativity about the film. Next thing they will remind us is, how Deadpool is still the highest rated r movie in the domestic box office.lol. its just insane at this point to see the media work overtime against joker.

Once upon a time in Hollywood has kind of lost steam, Joker has more steam because of Phoenix's performances and the box office. Also it wont make much sense for best actor and not best picture. the only thing that could hurt joker is no screenplay nomination. right now, there is more logical hype for best actor but the good thing with screenplay is they nominate 10 films split in 2 categories.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-17-2019 at 01:44 AM.

Aim, set and match.

Best picture
    Best Director
    Best screenplay
    Best Actor.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Ew, no comic book movie has deserved an Oscar yet and certainly not Joker
    The members felt otherwise. Wow, not only Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Director, but eight others.